The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

England is such an unhappy country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parx
Has anyone realised? I don't know about you but when I've been abroad I have always noticed a vast difference between England and these other countries. These other countries I have been to be it, Australia, Singapore or Indonesia or as west as USA or more centrally with the likes of Spain and Italy - they all have a more identifiable culture and one which everyone buys into. They might not be the richest in the world, they might have economic problems in some countries, but they are happier as people. I don't know if there's a correlation between great weather and a slower pace of life like in a number of those countries I mentioned, and a happier existence. Everyone buys into the country, the culture and way of life. There's a stronger sense of purpose, unity and spirit.

I can't help but feel personally very unhappy in England as an Englishmen. I also can't help but feel that this country and the people here are very unhappy. My personal opinions about this range from mass immigration, to the growing ascent of Islam to things about this country such as the weather, the 24/7 way of working life in these modern times, greater pressures and economic issues from housing to health, to the rise in technology and consumerism and materialism in this economically developed country with everything on its doorstep. I just think the traditions and heritage of this country is being eroded and lots of people are unhappy, Brits and non-Brits. Lots of Brits are worried about the state of this country and where it's going. I look at immigrants who come here from Eastern Europe and working in cafes or as cleaners and wondering how they can wake up every day and be happy ... they aren't. I look at Muslims and think they can't be happy either, they don't look it. They obviously don't feel comfortable with their status in the UK on a wider level, however it's not our duty to accept them for who they are and if anything it should be the other way around. But this is a growing problem in England today, the dissipating British way of life while the mass influx of new cultures and people come to the UK without assimilating into British culture.

Then there's the economic side of this country. We are kind of too spoiled. We are one of the greatest most developed countries on this planet and are very lucky to have the opportunity to have what we have, comparatively to the world. Maybe we have too much too easy and don't make the effort? We just take things for granted. Our country is colder not just literally, but as people. We don't value family like they do in other countries and culture. Heck even America is better than here, I lived there for a year. Everyone flies the American flag there, everyone considers themself American and buys into the country. It's a different feeling alltogether.

I can't help but feel England is going nowhere and everyone is thoroughly unhappy. I'm actually considering moving out of England because it's such an unhappy life here. I spent 3 weeks in Australia and it was a breathtaking experience. Everybody happy, smiling, stupendously good weather, beautiful beaches, such a chilled and relaxed laid back culture and more than that everyone buying into the Australian way of life. No opposition, no clashes.. just Australian. It was amazing and a really peaceful and happy experience. I left there feeling really sad .. I could not believe how happy I felt as a person and it made me realise just how much I have missed out on in life by not being from a country such as that. I'd take it every day of the week over being raised in England and being an Englishmen.

Thoughts?

It's threads like yours that make me want to gouge my own eyes out!
Reply 61
When I'm forced to live in a horrible area where no one speaks English and extremism is rife while being told "multiculturalism is amazing and beautiful" by white liberals living in their rural retreat, it does make one unhappy
Reply 62
Small land mass + high population density + multiculturalism = unhappy country.

Oh, and don't forget awful weather.
Reply 63
Original post by Luhar
What would be your solution then? I agree with what you're saying, most immigrants orignally moved to London as it had the best employment prospects. Since more immigrants arrived, they would most likely stay with people of their own culture (increase population in London) and London still has more chances to find a job.

My solution? Far too many migrants here. I would send home a significant amount, reintroduce British people back into London, have a cull on all the mosques and Islamic and Eastern Euroepan shops/traditions here and start to reintegrate with a British way of life and majority British population. What's wrong with that?
Reply 64
Original post by Howard
Did you live in America as a child? Big difference living there as a child than as an adult.

There are no paradises. Wherever you live, you have to get up early, go out to work, pay your bills, pay your taxes, and occasionally deal with government retards. Australia isn't just about basking in the sun and "throwing another shrimp on the barbie" as if you were on some lifelong vacation.

As a teenager. It's not all about the way of life though. It's as I said in my first post - Americans take PRIDE in their home land and traditions. They are proud and they ALL fly their flag. England is not like that. You fly the flag and promote British and Western culture/values you get ethnic minorities telling you you are racist. It's completely different. In America I felt a part of something. In my home country I don't feel a part of anything. I'm surrounded by people that are not from here, shops that don't correlate with me or Britishness, neighbourhoods that create a culture that is simply not British.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Ethnically speaking I'm not British at all, but I agree with you, this country is indeed great but unfortunately it's the indigenous Britons themselves who constantly put the country down.

So what's great about it mr. i'm not ethnically british i wonder?
Reply 66
Original post by WBZ144
The fact is that there are more White Brits in London than any other demography so enough with the hysterics and exaggerations. People who leave London tend to do so because living there is expensive and they feel that they/their families can have a better quality of life elsewhere in the country, not because they can't stand the sight of non-Whites (and if that was the case then good riddance to bad rubbish). It's also one of the busiest cities in the world and life can be rather hectic. So yes, that sort of life isn't for everyone.

Utter crap and you know it. First things first, that census was 5 years ago and White British in London in that census was 47%. Taking into account that it is now 2016, and not only that but that the census includes zones far reaching as far as zones 6 which is on the outskirts of actual London and not inside it, it is not actually representative of the reality.

You say that people leaving London (600,000 white british in 10 years) leave because it is too expensive. Well that's funny. Here's a question for your malfunctioning brain - how do the 'ethnic minorities' afford it? Why do you lie to yourself?They are leaving in their droves to get away from this multicultural hellhole that is being created. London is a cesspit and only a white British fool would want to move here, where English people ARE a minority here.
Reply 67
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Yes there are more white Brits in London - a grand total of 44% of the population. A small change from 1931 when white Brits were 98% of the population. I'm quite certain many of those whites did leave London because of all the Africans and Asians moving in. The cockneys have almost disappeared. Now their territory includes only Loughton and the surrounding areas. Anyway I guess you'll be saying the same thing when the ethnic people of this country, whose ancestors have been living here for 5000 years, are 10% of London in 2061.

She's such a deluded, uneducated fool. Ignore her.
Original post by Parx
My solution? Far too many migrants here. I would send home a significant amount, reintroduce British people back into London, have a cull on all the mosques and Islamic and Eastern Euroepan shops/traditions here and start to reintegrate with a British way of life and majority British population. What's wrong with that?

Who would you send home? What if they have children who were born here, what about them?

'Culling' shops and places of religious worship sounds awfully familiar. I wonder where I've heard that before?

And here I was thinking freedom of religion and liberties in general were a keystone of British society? The 'British way of life' you so wistfully talk about.

Original post by Parx
Americans take PRIDE in their home land and traditions. They are proud and they ALL fly their flag. England is not like that. You fly the flag and promote British and Western culture/values you get ethnic minorities telling you you are racist.

Since when have minorities ever complained about a harmless Union flag or anything? And don't point me to something by Britain First or the EDL because deliberately provoking violence is not relevant.
Reply 69
Original post by BelgianBee
Let me guess, an extremely obese, inbred, Daily Mail fanboy who smokes 50 cigarettes a day and gets drunk at the pub each night?

Well if you think the USA is better why don't you f off and never come back instead of wasting time polluting TSR with your propaganda wacko about how oh so glorious everywhere else is compared to here? :rolleyes: Try living under a regime in a country like Russia or North Korea and you'll soon at least half wish you hadn't bashed the UK so negatively!

At least the UK will be one less person overcrowded. :yep:

Also, how the hell does a thread like this get so much reputation points whereas a thread saying about how good the UK is wouldn't probably get two at the most? :unimpressed:

What do you know about me you cretin? I probably earn 3/4x your salary.

I get reputation points because I'm not a liberal fanboy who sucks off to the idea of multiculturalism for no real purpose other than to appear as if you are a righteous decent person, when frankly you are thick as two planks.
Reply 70
Original post by BasicMistake
Who would you send home? What if they have children who were born here, what about them?

'Culling' shops and places of religious worship sounds awfully familiar. I wonder where I've heard that before?

And here I was thinking freedom of religion and liberties in general were a keystone of British society? The 'British way of life' you so wistfully talk about.

Since when have minorities ever complained about a harmless Union flag or anything? And don't point me to something by Britain First or the EDL because deliberately provoking violence is not relevant.

When I talk about the British flag, alot of minorities associate that with a racist tone of nationalism such as BNP. Here's a question for you - in what way are immigrants (of any kind) proud to be British or proud of England in any way shape or form? They're not !

Firstly I'd regain some control over Islam and relinquishing some of the power they so crave such as thhrough the way they dress and the way they impose their culture to the annoyance of most people around them. Ii would fragment their Islamic ghettoes in London and outside which are not healthy at all and are actually bredding grounds for extremism. I would send home the large majority of economic migrants - they are not buying into this country. They are here for economic purposes - that's no good for anyone and overcrowds an already overpopulated labour market. Why's that a good thing? There might be circumstances with children - however I'd still consider snending them all home too. Why should they be here? If they're an engineer or a technician or a nurse, then maybe, but if they are sweeping the roads or cleaning toilets or working in a god damn coffee shop - home you go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Parx
Here's a question for you - in what way are immigrants (of any kind) proud to be British or proud of England in any way shape or form? They're not !

From what I've seen of your other responses, you probably won't agree but you can't state this with any kind of certainty. I'm a second generation immigrant and I am a lot more proud of England than the country my parents were born in.

Many immigrants actively partake in British culture, especially sport. Would you not agree that supporting a team (or England in international competitions) shows pride in the country?
Original post by Parx
I would send home the large majority of economic migrants - they are not buying into this country. They are here for economic purposes - that's no good for anyone and overcrowds an already overpopulated labour market. Why's that a good thing? There might be circumstances with children - however I'd still consider snending them all home too. Why should they be here? If they're an engineer or a technician or a nurse, then maybe, but if they are sweeping the roads or cleaning toilets or working in a god damn coffee shop - home you go.
Ignoring moral issues, you do realise this will be a terrible effect on the economy? Businesses will tend to suffer with a smaller pool of workers to hire from as well as having a smaller population purchasing their goods and services. You say that the labour market is in over-supply but I am willing to bet that if you removed the people 'sweeping the roads', there won't exactly be a queue to replace that worker.
Britain never had a culture
Original post by Inexorably
No it's just major cities (primarily London) where everyone is a miserable git.

u wot m8
Reply 74
Original post by Parx
When I talk about the British flag, alot of minorities associate that with a racist tone of nationalism such as BNP. Here's a question for you - in what way are immigrants (of any kind) proud to be British or proud of England in any way shape or form? They're not !

Generalising a bit there...I'm asian but was born here and am proud of living here.
Reply 75
Original post by BasicMistake
From what I've seen of your other responses, you probably won't agree but you can't state this with any kind of certainty. I'm a second generation immigrant and I am a lot more proud of England than the country my parents were born in.

Many immigrants actively partake in British culture, especially sport. Would you not agree that supporting a team (or England in international competitions) shows pride in the country?
Ignoring moral issues, you do realise this will be a terrible effect on the economy? Businesses will tend to suffer with a smaller pool of workers to hire from as well as having a smaller population purchasing their goods and services. You say that the labour market is in over-supply but I am willing to bet that if you removed the people 'sweeping the roads', there won't exactly be a queue to replace that worker.

Well I think you are right in that second generation immigrants maybe take more pride. But immigrants who have moved here within the last 10/15 years or are moving here don't give a **** about this country. They are only concerned with getting that job in a coffee shop or using our benefits system to pay money back into their home country. They don't care about England. Same goes for a lot of Muslims who see themselves as Muslims first and British second. It does not interest them to integrate into England, rather they build their segregated communities in London such as horrible hellholes like Tower Hamlets and Luton and try to build an Islamic state from within. If you are a second generation and born here then yes my opinion is agreeing with you.

For example what care in the world do immigrants have about our Royal Family? I honestly don't think or have never seen them give a flying ****. They don't take any pride in this country's heritage.

I would happily sacrifice a stagnation in GDP growth if it meant the return of England to predominantly English people, English businesses, English shops and English way of life. Hence, in other words vote out of the EU.

You are right there won't be a queue - but that's because English people don't exist in London anymore. Any brits 'living in London' live in zone 6/7/8 which is NOT London. Already from zone 4 you are in the beginning of Essex. Do you not see what I mean? They don't take the jobs in London, because they ain't living in the inner London areas. Go to Middlesbrough, or Hull or some grotty northern English town and you'll see every shop out there be it Tesco, Sainsbury or PC World employing British people. The people are there to fill the labour market but the population demographics explain the London issue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Luhar
Generalising a bit there...I'm asian but was born here and am proud of living here.

I didn't say that so well. 2nd generation immigrants I alter my opinion. Saying that however, I still believe most Muslims would prioritise their Islamic values and beliefs over their values or pride for England.
Original post by Parx
In fairness, while you raise a fair point with the drinking culture in England to outright deny immigration and not mention the impact of Islam in this country 'Asif', is rather biased. It's all well and good saying it from your perspective but a lot of people are bothered by Islam and a lot of people are bothered by immigration, and rightly so. You can't just scoff that and say well it's an issue to those who consider it to be. Bigger issue than any drinking issue you raise, which is an issue in itself but nothing epidemic. The thing is that this is England, we don't have sunny weather and yes compared to say Italy we lack a rounded culture, but for you to scoff immigration and raise alcohol as a bigger issue is pure subjective bias.

Also London is a hellhole. I live here. Everywhere I go is Eastern Europeans and Muslims. You can't get away from them and all the English people are moving out or have moved out. Do you think an English person enjoys living in London? You must be deluded.

I'm not going to sit here and explain all over again the reasons why I don't like living here. Maybe I am slightly biased but immigration doesn't seem like such a big problem to me because I enjoy integrating with other communities, even if I don't always receive the best reception from people because I don't drink. Immigration obviously doesn't bother me as much as it does you - is there a problem with that? Read my comments again - I said that I regularly go to parties with people who do drink, so I do my best to fit in and make an effort. The fact that nobody wants to be seen on a night out with the one guy who doesn't drink isn't my fault. The point is that we both hate living in this country but for different reasons, so what is there to get worked up about? I have my own reasons, you have yours.

I'm an English person just like you and I love London. Do you mean instead that a Caucasian person doesn't enjoy living in London? Obviously your experience of living in London is very different to mine, but I never said everyone on here should enjoy the same things I do. It's just my personal view - London is my home and I miss it. And I also never said "English" people find it hard living in London - obviously lots of people don't like it for various reasons. Having said that, may I ask why you're so repulsed by Muslim and Eastern European people in London? What have they done to you?

Why do you mention "subjective bias" and attack me for that? Every single opinion on here is subjective - some of them you will agree with, some of them you won't. Don't ask for opinions in your OP and then complain when you read something you disagree with.

Original post by Parx
Huh? I drink and go out. I don't personally have any issue with drinking culture in England. However I can appreciate that for a non-drinker this could be an issue. However, saying all of that, he can't expect that he can't integrate into England because of how he feels about drinking culture as a result of his religious beliefs. It is for him to integrate into the UK, not the other way around, and if he personally feels as though he can't, then he is perfectly capable of moving to a country where his beliefs are more openly welcomed culturally.

As mentioned above, I have made all the effort I can and I frequently socialise with people who drink. Stop jumping to conclusions and assuming that I have not integrated well - you know nothing about me. I make friends easily because being a non-drinker does not deter me from going on nights out and to social events, unlike many other Muslim people who choose to stay inside. I'm entitled to my own opinion based on how people treat me outside these social events. And because I don't drink, these friendships I make with people often end up being very one-sided because people are always more welcoming and supportive of someone who drinks alcohol. That's what I don't like - people need alcohol to cement friendships and everyone thinks I'm boring just because I don't drink. I go to all the same events as the people who do drink, I enjoy myself and have a laugh just like they do but without touching a drop of alcohol. Why is the alcohol so important when I'm making an effort to make up for the fact that I don't drink?

Original post by Dinasaurus
The drinking culture is a laugh, you guys just sound like sad loners who can't be social and piss about in their rooms.

Original post by Dinasaurus
Oh sorry, I just hate the assumption that drinking is some sort of evil and only superficial people and alcoholics do it, I know plenty of well to do people who drink and have fun.

I can easily turn that around and say everyone else is boring because they don't know how to have fun without alcohol - I do. I socialise regularly, I perform on stage and I enjoy meeting people. When I'm doing the same things as everyone else, is there any reason why people should treat me differently because I don't drink? You've misinterpreted what I said - maybe deliberately to support your point, maybe not. I have no problem with people who drink alcohol and I've never objected to people who want to. I socialise with people who do drink alcohol, as I've mentioned several times already. I never said alcohol is evil or superficial - that's your own conclusion, not mine. What I don't like is the importance that alcohol has in people's lives, to the extent that they would rather ignore me despite the efforts I make to integrate with them. It's got nothing to do with having fun - I know how to do that perfectly well without alcohol. What gets on my nerves is the judgmental attitudes from people like you who know nothing about me or what I do to enjoy myself, and immediately assume I'm boring just cos I don't drink. Why do British people put alcohol on such a high pedestal?
Original post by Parx
Utter crap and you know it. First things first, that census was 5 years ago and White British in London in that census was 47%. Taking into account that it is now 2016, and not only that but that the census includes zones far reaching as far as zones 6 which is on the outskirts of actual London and not inside it, it is not actually representative of the reality.

You say that people leaving London (600,000 white british in 10 years) leave because it is too expensive. Well that's funny. Here's a question for your malfunctioning brain - how do the 'ethnic minorities' afford it? Why do you lie to yourself?They are leaving in their droves to get away from this multicultural hellhole that is being created. London is a cesspit and only a white British fool would want to move here, where English people ARE a minority here.

I have already said: if they are leaving London because they can't stand the presence of ethnic minorities then I have no sympathy and it is good riddance.

Yes, believe it or not some ethnic minorities are not poverty stricken and can afford to live in London just fine. There are others who aren't exactly well off but are content to live in not-so-great conditions rather than to move where they can have better living standards.

I have no need to lie to myself because I simply do not care about the racial demographics in London or anywhere else.

And yes, despite that there is no other demography in London with a higher percentage of White Brits. You can criticise the stats all you want but it's pointless if you don't have something more reliable.
Reply 79
Original post by Parx
I didn't say that so well. 2nd generation immigrants I alter my opinion. Saying that however, I still believe most Muslims would prioritise their Islamic values and beliefs over their values or pride for England.

Agree, from my experience most Muslims don't have a strong affinity with England