The Student Room Group

AS-Bio - Vit C in fruit practical exam question HELP!!

Scroll to see replies

Thank you!!!
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Hey. I have something you could use.

Wow this must be good as you both linked me the same file!! Would I be prepared enough for the exams just with this summary of the core practicals? What way did you learn/memorise them?
Original post by Philip-flop
Thank you!!!

Wow this must be good as you both linked me the same file!! Would I be prepared enough for the exams just with this summary of the core practicals? What way did you learn/memorise them?

Don't memorise....get the idea....
But better search for more of those practicals....i think that alone would not do it :frown:
how many units are you doing this MAY ?
try these (but i did not use ...just got for you )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md39dAMwkvQ

Register and see this :smile:..... i found just now :smile:........i should consider this too
https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/edexcel_as_biology_core_practicals_experiments_topic_1_and_2
Thank you!!!

hello.......see above links
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you!!!

You will absolutely not feel ready by just reading the summary. If you have any questions you may ask around. But really try and understand the practicals and do past papers because Edexcel is never straightforward. I memorized many experiments by doing past papers. They kind of repeat experiments but in different contexts. They may surprise you with something completely different. So you need to understand the question and modify the original experiment accordingly. If you don't understand what I am talking about then attempt 5) b) ii) on this paper and tell me how you found it. http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Biology/2013/Exam%20materials/WBI01_01_que_20150521.pdf
Original post by NNB_Herath
how many units are you doing this MAY ?

I'm doing Unit 1 in May then Unit 2 in June

Omg that first link is amazing!!! That's exactly what I've been looking for!! I'm going to read through all of it tonight!!
You will absolutely not feel ready by just reading the summary. If you have any questions you may ask around. But really try and understand the practicals and do past papers because Edexcel is never straightforward. I memorized many experiments by doing past papers. They kind of repeat experiments but in different contexts. They may surprise you with something completely different. So you need to understand the question and modify the original experiment accordingly. If you don't understand what I am talking about then attempt 5) b) ii) on this paper and tell me how you found it. http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Biology/2013/Exam%20materials/WBI01_01_que_20150521.pdf

Reading that question just scares me!! I don't know much about the Enzyme activity experiments :frown::colondollar:
I'm not sure how to even answer it. I really need to read up on it first I think :frown:
More Enzyme activity questions that I'm struggling with :frown:
Enzyme Activity (Catalase) exam 2012.01 Q6b.png

Enzyme Activity (Method A) exam 2012.06 Q4c.png
(edited 8 years ago)

The answer for the first experiment
Extract the two different types of mussels with same mass and same surface area.
Set up the apparatus as shown above for both the experiments.
Carry out the experiment at same temperature
Use same volume and concentration of Catalase enzyme.
Use same volume and concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide for both the trials.
Add the Hydrogen Peroxide and measure the Volume of Oxygen collected per unit time (by using a stopwatch).
Repeat this several times for each type of tissue and get the average result. (using same controlled variables).
Measure initial rate of reaction using a graph for both experiments and compare.

The answer for the second experiment
Lipase is an enzyme which breaks down triglycerides such as lipids.
Use about 7 different concentrations of triglycerides but same volume.
Add lipase with same concentration and volume to each triglyceride concentration.
Measure the pH of solution using a pH indicator for a given time
Repeat with same concentration and get average and also repeat with the other different concentrations.
Plot a graph of volume produced against time....
And use this to plot a graph for initial rate of reaction for each concentration.

Controlled variables
Temperature
Volume and Concentration of Enzyme Lipase.
Volume of Triglycerides (NOT concentration)

Independent variable = Concentration of triglycerides.
Dependent variable = pH

First of all, let's break things down. To write an experiment, you must use CORMS.
C - control: always include a control in your experiment, eg for the light intensity leaf experiment have an empty test tube with just some indicator in it...
O - organism: what organisms will be involved and what similarities do they need to have eg. same sex, age, health, ect
R - repetition: how many repeats do you do to make it more practical?
M - measurement: what do you plan to measure? eg growth length temperature weight size ect.
S - standard: what do you need to keep the same? eg time, diet, oxygen, light intensities pH ect

Now since you are comparing two types of mussels (the organisms in this case), you have to control factors like Age and Gender because if your mussels have different ages and gender, the effect of enzyme maybe different and this leads to errors. So always control these type of variable okay?

You have to repeat your experiment in order for you to get many results so that you can obtain the mean rate of enzyme activity. Repeats ALWAYS increase reliability of the experiment.

The above experiment requires you to measure the RATE of enzyme activity. Rate is always respective to time. REMEMBER THAT. Hence the " Amount of oxygen produced PER UNIT TIME". Eg. Per minute.

You need to keep all the variables that may affect this experiment constant. Enzymes are affected by temperature so keep temperature constant by using a water bath or an incubator. Also, concentrations and volumes of catalase enzyme and the substrate may affect the results so you need to use the SAME amount. eg. if you use more substrates than enzymes, the rate of reaction will be slow because all the active sites of the enzymes are used up.

The control for this experiment would be doing this experiment WITHOUT THE ENZYME. Do NOT get confused between "Standard" and "Control".

A Control is a test where the person conducting the test only changes one variable at a time in order to isolate the results. eg. The control of this expt, shows you the effect of conducting the experiment without the enzyme.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :colondollar:
Reply 33
@Puddles the Monkey wanna shut this down?
Original post by NNB_Herath
The answer for the second experimentLipase is an enzyme which breaks down triglycerides such as lipids.Use about 7 different concentrations of triglycerides but same volume.Add lipase with same concentration and volume to each triglyceride concentration.Measure the pH of solution using a pH indicator for a given timeRepeat with same concentration and get average and also repeat with the other different concentrations.Plot a graph of volume produced against time....And use this to plot a graph for initial rate of reaction for each concentration.Controlled variablesTemperatureVolume and Concentration of Enzyme Lipase.Volume of Triglycerides (NOT concentration)Independent variable = Concentration of triglycerides.Dependent variable = pH

Wow thank you! I'm definitely getting to grips with these now I think. I'm just having trouble condensing the methods/procedures in relation to the mark scheme so I don't end up waffling on. I think I'm going to make little templates of the methods of each practical that I can use in the exams. Thanks again!

First of all, let's break things down. To write an experiment, you must use CORMS.
C - control: always include a control in your experiment, eg for the light intensity leaf experiment have an empty test tube with just some indicator in it...
O - organism: what organisms will be involved and what similarities do they need to have eg. same sex, age, health, ect
R - repetition: how many repeats do you do to make it more practical?
M - measurement: what do you plan to measure? eg growth length temperature weight size ect.
S - standard: what do you need to keep the same? eg time, diet, oxygen, light intensities pH ect

Now since you are comparing two types of mussels (the organisms in this case), you have to control factors like Age and Gender because if your mussels have different ages and gender, the effect of enzyme maybe different and this leads to errors. So always control these type of variable okay?

You have to repeat your experiment in order for you to get many results so that you can obtain the mean rate of enzyme activity. Repeats ALWAYS increase reliability of the experiment.

The above experiment requires you to measure the RATE of enzyme activity. Rate is always respective to time. REMEMBER THAT. Hence the " Amount of oxygen produced PER UNIT TIME". Eg. Per minute.

You need to keep all the variables that may affect this experiment constant. Enzymes are affected by temperature so keep temperature constant by using a water bath or an incubator. Also, concentrations and volumes of catalase enzyme and the substrate may affect the results so you need to use the SAME amount. eg. if you use more substrates than enzymes, the rate of reaction will be slow because all the active sites of the enzymes are used up.

The control for this experiment would be doing this experiment WITHOUT THE ENZYME. Do NOT get confused between "Standard" and "Control".

A Control is a test where the person conducting the test only changes one variable at a time in order to isolate the results. eg. The control of this expt, shows you the effect of conducting the experiment without the enzyme.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :colondollar:

This is brilliant advice!! I definitely feel more aware of what I need to include in my answers about practicals. :smile:

Honestly this is so helpful!!

I'm always panicking when I have to answer these types of questions but I will remember "CORMS" from now on :smile:

Original post by Guls
@Puddles the Monkey wanna shut this down?

Shut this down? Why?

This is brilliant advice!! I definitely feel more aware of what I need to include in my answers about practicals. :smile:

Honestly this is so helpful!!

I'm always panicking when I have to answer these types of questions but I will remember "CORMS" from now on :smile:

No Problem! Happy to help! :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending