The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aimen.
I dont think that's included.. just the tidal volume and breathing rate!

Okay thank you!
Hi, has anyone here done the scientific article yet? If you have, what kind of questions do you think they'll ask?
Reply 142
Made a separate thread where I posted these, but in case anyone missed them, these are a bunch of mind maps I have made for all topics in units 4 and 5:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BymD5DhLTD45MjF1SHJVb3J4S28
Original post by .JC.
Made a separate thread where I posted these, but in case anyone missed them, these are a bunch of mind maps I have made for all topics in units 4 and 5:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BymD5DhLTD45MjF1SHJVb3J4S28

I saw these in school today, they're really good! thank you!
Reply 144
Thankyou so much!! They were quite helpful :smile:
Has anyone created questions for this year's scientific articles? I think last year I saw someone posting questions that their class had made up.
Reply 146
Original post by A-LJLB
Well obviously genetic engineering, there's also mention of CO2 and fossil fuels so go over that. Ethics of the human genome project etc, the source of the article is at the bottom of the page it might be an idea to look at the original source too.

sorry but where in the spec is there human genome project? i dont recall every studying that. thanks!
Reply 147
Original post by ranz
sorry but where in the spec is there human genome project? i dont recall every studying that. thanks!

Its a database of all human genes. There's not really that much specifically on it.
Reply 148
Original post by .JC.
Its a database of all human genes. There's not really that much specifically on it.

i saw a few people mention cancer i know its in the article but its not in our spec am i correct?
Reply 149
Original post by Hellper
If you don't mind me adding..
Some more topics that could may be important

-Protien Synthesis
-DNA Replication
- Bacterial Resistance
- Biofuels
- Dna Extraction
- Transcription Factors

This is it for now but I should have a full analysis of the article and potential questions soon.

hey any updates?

btw how are you guys doing a2 unit 5 past papers?
Reply 150
Original post by ranz
i saw a few people mention cancer i know its in the article but its not in our spec am i correct?

Correct, its not in the spec.
Original post by .JC.
Correct, its not in the spec.

Original post by ranz

The paper is synoptic. Cancer was covered in AS, therefore could come up, and it is mentioned in the article so may do.
Reply 152
Is anyone struggling with new AS Biology Edexel? I'm finding it hard to grasp
Original post by Arina99
Is anyone struggling with new AS Biology Edexel? I'm finding it hard to grasp

This is the A2 exam thread and therefore nobody will be doing the new AS spec, there should be an AS thread so try there :smile:
Reply 154
Original post by ranz
hey any updates?

btw how are you guys doing a2 unit 5 past papers?
i

Hi...it would be very helpful if anyone could post some questions on this topic...
Hey, does anyone have any resources or websites that were helpful when writing the A2 coursework? My teachers have only just told me that my coursework's been moderated down so I won't be able to get into uni with my current grade and I've only got 4 days to fix it.. Any help would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LThomas694
Hey, does anyone have any resources or websites that were helpful when writing the A2 coursework? My teachers have only just told me that my coursework's been moderated down so I won't be able to get into uni with my current grade and I've only got 4 days to fix it.. Any help would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which parts of the coursework were marked down? If there's a glaringly bad area start there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsychoD
Which parts of the coursework were marked down? If there's a glaringly bad area start there

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher didn't tell me my marks for each section because he said he wasn't allowed to but apprently be research and rational isn't 'cohesive' so I haven't linked a lot of it back to my hypothesis or explicitly stated enough why the research is relevant? My investigation is on how velocity affects flatworm abundance so it's kinda hard to see how that is important or relevant?
The other bit that was marked down is my interpretation of results but apprently if I add it more A2 detail about aerobic respiration then that should be fine.
My communication also got marked down but I just need to evaluate all my sources so that's kinds straightforward it's just the R&R that's the problem.
I've got to get an A* in bio for uni and I've got a low A so it's not bad and there's not obvious stuff that I've missed out or done really badly in its just trying to get in the top band on all sections because the coursework is quite a big part of the A2 and I need 90% overall, I'm also freaking out because I found out so late and I thought they would have let me know because my target grade is A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LThomas694
My teacher didn't tell me my marks for each section because he said he wasn't allowed to but apprently be research and rational isn't 'cohesive' so I haven't linked a lot of it back to my hypothesis or explicitly stated enough why the research is relevant? My investigation is on how velocity affects flatworm abundance so it's kinda hard to see how that is important or relevant?
The other bit that was marked down is my interpretation of results but apprently if I add it more A2 detail about aerobic respiration then that should be fine.
My communication also got marked down but I just need to evaluate all my sources so that's kinds straightforward it's just the R&R that's the problem.
I've got to get an A* in bio for uni and I've got a low A so it's not bad and there's not obvious stuff that I've missed out or done really badly in its just trying to get in the top band on all sections because the coursework is quite a big part of the A2 and I need 90% overall, I'm also freaking out because I found out so late and I thought they would have let me know because my target grade is A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

I scored very highly in the cw last year, but it sounds like your teacher is quite unhelpful. If it was externally moderated and brought down then they know what went wrong but aren't telling you. For the r&r you need to show why it's important to biologists. You could link it to global warming, biodiversity or anything really. Make it seem as though your experiment is a big deal and will have important consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsychoD
I scored very highly in the cw last year, but it sounds like your teacher is quite unhelpful. If it was externally moderated and brought down then they know what went wrong but aren't telling you. For the r&r you need to show why it's important to biologists. You could link it to global warming, biodiversity or anything really. Make it seem as though your experiment is a big deal and will have important consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm not really sure he knows what he's doing because he's only just started teaching edexcel bio, I might email him and see if I can get a bit more feedback and see my actual scores. The markschemes are so vague so I'm just looking for exemplars and examiner reports to see if there's more detail. That's the bit I'm finding hardest because I'm not actually interested in my topic and I'm struggling to see how it's relevant but I think I'll just write more about their ecological role and the impact of river management on velocity and how that could affect flatworm abundance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending