The Student Room Group

Barts and the London Medicine Offer Holders 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Was there already an offer holders day on the 8th? Anyone going tomorrow?
Reply 101
Original post by Grad201X
Spoke to occupational health and they said that I don't need to get Hep B done as there's no EPP until the first clinical year i.e. after first year and that they'll do it for anyone who hasn't had it.

Does anyone know if we can apply for Mile End accommodation or is it just Whitechapel/Charterhouse? Looking online, it seems people from previous years had the option of Whitechapel but I've only got the other 2 showing up.

Last year, people had the option of all 3- mile end, whitechapel or charterhouse! But now they've stopped that! From what i know, we only have the option of Whitechapel or Charterhouse
Reply 102
Spoke to occupational health and they said that I don't need to get Hep B done as there's no EPP until the first clinical year i.e. after first year and that they'll do it for anyone who hasn't had it.

Does anyone know if we can apply for Mile End accommodation or is it just Whitechapel/Charterhouse? Looking online, it seems people from previous years had the option of Whitechapel but I've only got the other 2 showing up.

Thanks for finding that out! :smile: What's EPP by the way?

And I asked on the open day and the women I spoke to said medics can't live at Mile End unless they have a specific medical reason that means they have to have an ensuite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by LOAend
Was there already an offer holders day on the 8th? Anyone going tomorrow?

Yep, there was one on 8th April. I didn't get any email about an offer holder day tomorrow but I think there is one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 7me7
People that have firmed, have you started your Hep B vaccination programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Rp165
Last year, people had the option of all 3- mile end, whitechapel or charterhouse! But now they've stopped that! From what i know, we only have the option of Whitechapel or Charterhouse

I believe if you get your Hep-B vaccines at your GP, you have to pay for it. There's no need for that - just get it done for free via occupational health during your first year. There's no rush to get it done :smile:

Medics/Dentists (including this year) don't have the option to stay at Mile End. It's either Whitechapel, or Charterhouse Square :biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by Clubba
I believe if you get your Hep-B vaccines at your GP, you have to pay for it. There's no need for that - just get it done for free via occupational health during your first year. There's no rush to get it done :smile:

Medics/Dentists (including this year) don't have the option to stay at Mile End. It's either Whitechapel, or Charterhouse Square :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: Do you know if you can get Meningitis C through occupational health too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 7me7
Thanks :smile: Do you know if you can get Meningitis C through occupational health too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure whether or not occupational health offers that but you can get it for free with your GP

Students going to university or college for the first time, including overseas and mature students up to the age of 25, should contact their GP to have the Men ACWY vaccine, ideally before the start of or in the first few weeks of the academic year.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/men-acwy-vaccine.aspx
Reply 107
Original post by Clubba
Not sure whether or not occupational health offers that but you can get it for free with your GP

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/men-acwy-vaccine.aspx

Great, thanks for all your help!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 7me7
Where did you insure, just out of interest? (If you put down an insurance and you don't mind me asking)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I insured Nottingham and rejected Birmingham and King's. Seemed a bit pointless really but oh well haha
What are the pros and cons between Dawson Hall and Floyer House
Hi all,

We have just begun an official thread with Q&A with a current medical student (myself) at Barts. If you've got any Qs you would like to ask, check it out.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4026213

Barts love,
Will
Reply 111
Quick question: do we only get the occupational health check details after we pick barts as our firm/insurance?
Reply 112
Yeah along with your accommodation log-in details
Original post by dj3k
Quick question: do we only get the occupational health check details after we pick barts as our firm/insurance?
Reply 113
Original post by juveale
Yeah along with your accommodation log-in details

thanks
Reply 114
Really sorry, but could someone please kindly tell me what we need to do after getting the offer (e.g. occupational health check etc.) and the deadline for these. Thank you.
Reply 115
Original post by aribery
Really sorry, but could someone please kindly tell me what we need to do after getting the offer (e.g. occupational health check etc.) and the deadline for these. Thank you.

After you have firmed, you get sent an email about the next steps (occupational health, DBS etc) and another email about choosing accommodation :smile: All the deadlines are given in the emails.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by 7me7
After you have firmed, you get sent an email about the next steps (occupational health, DBS etc) and another email about choosing accommodation :smile: All the deadlines are given in the email
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :u:
Original post by retrobaht
What are the pros and cons between Dawson Hall and Floyer House

Did you ever find out this answer?
I want to live in Dawson but a 40 minute commute is so long
Original post by cool213s
Did you ever find out this answer?
I want to live in Dawson but a 40 minute commute is so long

There are many pros and cons.

The main pros for Dawson are:
- Nice area
- Bigger than Floyer, so more people
- Has nice green space
- You'll never get to live in an area like this for that price ever again

Cons for Dawson:
- Majority of the stuff happens in Whitechapel/Mile End. So you have to commute everyday.
- You'll be spending about an hour a day commuting.
- Commuting is an added expense
- In the evenings, Barbican is quite derelict

Pros for Floyer:
- CONVENIENCE!!!! 30 second walk to lectures
- A lot of fast food/takeaways nearby
- Big supermarkets close by
- Near SU
- Every room has a sink

Cons for Floyer:
- Whitechapel is not as nice an area as Barbican
- Apparently Dawson Hall is better from the inside

I personally chose Floyer just due to the convenience. I'd hate to have to wake up an hour earlier just to commute to Whitechapel, when I could have just stayed in Whitechapel.
That helps a ton! I'm starting a postgraduate program there in September and I'm not looking forward to living in a dorm and sharing a bathroom haha
I haven't done that since freshman year of undergrad! Thanks for the advice!

Original post by Rickstahhh
There are many pros and cons.

The main pros for Dawson are:
- Nice area
- Bigger than Floyer, so more people
- Has nice green space
- You'll never get to live in an area like this for that price ever again

Cons for Dawson:
- Majority of the stuff happens in Whitechapel/Mile End. So you have to commute everyday.
- You'll be spending about an hour a day commuting.
- Commuting is an added expense
- In the evenings, Barbican is quite derelict

Pros for Floyer:
- CONVENIENCE!!!! 30 second walk to lectures
- A lot of fast food/takeaways nearby
- Big supermarkets close by
- Near SU
- Every room has a sink

Cons for Floyer:
- Whitechapel is not as nice an area as Barbican
- Apparently Dawson Hall is better from the inside

I personally chose Floyer just due to the convenience. I'd hate to have to wake up an hour earlier just to commute to Whitechapel, when I could have just stayed in Whitechapel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending