The Student Room Group

If you could have a degree but without doing any work would you?

This poll is closed

Do you want to work for your degree?

No, I just want the piece of paper 44%
Yes, I will do all the work56%
Total votes: 48
Scenario is this: You can have the degree with what ever classification you would've actually got given you had worked. You still have to take the tuition loans and all the other costs but you don't have to turn up to any lecture or do any of the work.

Scroll to see replies

Who ever claims they prefer working for it is lying
If I still got to live at uni and have the whole lifestyle and just didn't need to do the work? Sure.
If I just got it the next day and didn't even get to have new experiences, no.
Original post by ILikePasta
If I still got to live at uni and have the whole lifestyle and just didn't need to do the work? Sure.
If I just got it the next day and didn't even get to have new experiences, no.

That's right. You can live at uni and do whatever you want with your time but you cant do any lectures or any of the work but still pay the £27k
Original post by skeptical_john
That's right. You can live at uni and do whatever you want with your time but you cant do any lectures or any of the work but still pay the £27k

then hell yeah, I'm pretty sure most people would tbh
If we are taking the case that the degree is only what we are currently doing/are going to do then I would take working. I'm going into civil engineering but without the actual work in the course you will have absolutely no ****in clue how to perform your career.
Reply 6
The degree would be pointless if that was the case. I'd rather work for what I want.
is this a serious q? **** YEES!
Don't understand the point of this question, the degree would be absolutely useless since you'll know sweet f*ck all.
Nope. I'd rather work hard for something than not put in the effort and get a degree, you don't gain anything that way.
too many goddamn liars here
Original post by AliRizzo
Don't understand the point of this question, the degree would be absolutely useless since you'll know sweet f*ck all.

well it depends what your future career will be. Sure, if you want to be a maths teacher then the maths degree is quite vital, but if you want to go into other finance jobs, like insurance, then the maths you learn does not really help much but it looks great on the CV.

EDIT: having said that I dont think the maths degree is that vital for maths teaching but hopefully you get my point!
(edited 7 years ago)
I've chosen my uni partly because of the uni experience. So it would be kind of counterproductive to throw away 2-3 years worth of work to lose that
well it depends what your future career will be. Sure, if you want to be a maths teacher then the maths degree is quite vital, but if you want to go into other finance jobs, like insurance, then the maths you learn does not really help much but it looks great on the CV.

Well in that case then yeah, why not?
The degree would be worthless and wouldn't get me anywhere because employers would know that you didn't have to do any work for it, so no I wouldn't.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
The degree would be worthless and wouldn't get me anywhere because employers would know that you didn't have to do any work for it, so no I wouldn't.

Well unless they are testing you they wouldn't know. There are many teachers, nurses, you name it that work on the back of phony pieces of paper.
I'd like to have been able to pick and choose, leaving some of the work without there being any consequences... so a lower amount of work tbh.

doing nothing is really not very enjoyable though.
Scenario is this: You can have the degree with what ever classification you would've actually got given you had worked. You still have to take the tuition loans and all the other costs but you don't have to turn up to any lecture or do any of the work.

This is what I do but I do the coursework and exams lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliRizzo

Assuming people use what they learn at uni... Which isn't the case for 90% of grads lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by ellie0497
Who ever claims they prefer working for it is lying

Not at all. What is the point of a degree where you have no in depth knowledge of the subject matter? I would rather do the work and be confident of my understanding of my sector.

The prospect of the costs without the degree level knowledge seems a nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending