The Student Room Group

Becoming a Lawyer?

Hey, my friend wants to become a lawyer when she's older and is struggling on deciding what A-levels she needs. We have looked on some university websites for requirements but they don't state any in particular. Which, I know, is an answer in itself. BUT, is there any that may up her chances? or make her stand out a little more?
Reply 1
Original post by Maisie13
Hey, my friend wants to become a lawyer when she's older and is struggling on deciding what A-levels she needs. We have looked on some university websites for requirements but they don't state any in particular. Which, I know, is an answer in itself. BUT, is there any that may up her chances? or make her stand out a little more?

Some of my friends here are studying towards their Undergraduate Law degree and some are studying towards related degrees who will then convert to Law. A-Levels that Universities tend to prefer for Law are:

History
English Literature
Maths
Geography

History or English Literature are somewhat of a must if you are to have a decent chance for a Law degree at any decent University. Maths isn't necessary, nor is it advised if you cannot do well in it. A general rule of thumb for Law is to pick either History or English Literature, then 1 more essay based subject (doesn't really matter which) and then a third 'strong' A2 of your choice.
Reply 2
Hi, I have completely the same problem as you

Posted from TSR Mobile
well taking law would be a start
Reply 4
Actually, don't take law as an A-level.

Anything you like within reason, but strong academic subjects are preferred.
Doing maths, english etc (at least one essay subject would be good); is much better than doing PE, Drama, Home ec. etc.

For reference, I did math, physics, economics/bus and politics.
Doing history/english is not a must, just that an essay based subject is ideal, as would something involving problem solving. Just make sure they're something one could actually do well in - pointless if you'd fail.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by bigwang
Some of my friends here are studying towards their Undergraduate Law degree and some are studying towards related degrees who will then convert to Law. A-Levels that Universities tend to prefer for Law are:

History
English Literature
Maths
Geography

History or English Literature are somewhat of a must if you are to have a decent chance for a Law degree at any decent University. Maths isn't necessary, nor is it advised if you cannot do well in it. A general rule of thumb for Law is to pick either History or English Literature, then 1 more essay based subject (doesn't really matter which) and then a third 'strong' A2 of your choice.

Thank you so much, I'll make sure to forward this on to her!
Original post by Inazuma
Actually, don't take law as an A-level.

Anything you like within reason, but strong academic subjects are preferred.
Doing maths, english etc (at least one essay subject would be good); is much better than doing PE, Drama, Home ec. etc.

For reference, I did math, physics, economics/bus and politics.
Doing history/english is not a must, just that an essay based subject is ideal, as would something involving problem solving. Just make sure they're something one could actually do well in - pointless if you'd fail.

I really don't get why people say this, like 50% do and the rest don't
I mean I am looking to get into oxford law and I do not see why it should be bad to do law
Reply 7
Original post by bigwang

History
English Literature
Maths
Geography

I would only advise to choose traditional a-levels, irrespective of whether they are essay-based or not. I am doing Maths, Fmaths, Physics and English Lit, this did not hinder my application since I got 5 offers from top 10 unis. In fact, doing a traditional science helps you think critically and logically, which is helpful and proves that you can do more than memorising facts and waffling through essays (anyone with half a brain could do that).
Original post by AperfectBalance
I mean I am looking to get into oxford law and I do not see why it should be bad to do law

I think when I was researching a year ago somewhere said that law is considered a soft subject for them? or that they preferred to teach law fresh to first years instead of them thinking law alevels is the basis of a law degree, I'm not too sure but check up on that.
Some unis do specify subjects like A level English, or humanities subjects so do have a look at all of the potential unis.

Subjects that would be useful..

English Literature
History
Modern Studies
Politics
Modern Language
Latin
Classical Studies

I mean in most of those subjects, the material itself is not relevant, but the skills and techniques that are picked up are invaluable.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Original post by AperfectBalance

It's not bad per se, but law schools prefer to teach you in their own way, and it's much easier to start with a blank canvas so to speak.
Mine for instance teaches land law and trusts from a certain perspective, and leaves out topics that other schools use. Also, A level law might get one into bad habits with regards to certain things - again, my law school for instance likes people to answer Qs in certain ways.
If you have other strong subjects it won't be that harmful though imo. Just a preference.

Quick Reply

Latest