The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
From numerous press agencies...

----------------

Mario Balotelli does not want to return to Liverpool at the end of the season, expressing his desire to stay at Milan beyond his loan spell amid unconfirmed reports linking him with a move to Monaco.

Balotelli said: “When it comes to my future I want to stay with Milan because I wasn’t happy at Liverpool and I don’t want to return there. And plus, Milan has the money. I’ve been doing well in my last two games, there are another six for me to prove myself. I feel in good shape physically at last and am relaxed.”

According to InsportPlus, Balotelli met with Monaco’s president, Dmitry Rybolovlev, and is considering a transfer to Ligue 1, should a permanent move to Milan not materialise.

Well Milan have already said they don't want to keep him (may be typical Italian teams negotiating tactics though).

No chance we're taking him back. We'll take any money we can for him frankly..
Original post by Zerforax
Well Milan have already said they don't want to keep him (may be typical Italian teams negotiating tactics though).

No chance we're taking him back. We'll take any money we can for him frankly..

They won't keep him, so I expect the final line will prove true.

It's a real shame Serie A has petered out without incident after such an intriguing few weeks earlier this year. The title race is over now, after that Napoli defeat to Inter. Nine off the pace now, but at least Higuain will be back to face Roma after his appeal of that red card against Udinese was upheld.
Original post by One Dance
We're not. The Dortmund goal was the first time we've conceded from set pieces since January.

Fair enough we have improved but we still look nervous defending them, Stoke and Bournemouth showed examples of this. A better commanding keeper will make it so much better though but Mignolet has been more consistent as of late so maybe Klopp will just look for a GK to challenge his spot for competition rather than sign a replacement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wasteful, always one touch too many, unerringly selfish, and laughably lazy when we don't have the ball.

This is the Sturridge we know and love, or at least Liverpool fans used to know and love. In his time out and the rustiness after his Klopp preseason, maybe it was forgotten who Sturridge really is. This is Sturridge in his best form. When he's in his best form, few strikers create chances for their team mates like he does with his movement. And even fewer create chances for themselves like he does. His dribbling looked classical Sturridge, waiting till the last second to throw the defender off balance. Twisting one way and the other, two footed. Ball glued to his foot inside the box, half yard to shoot created with ease. Technically better than any Englishman playing the game still, only Alli and Wilshere even in his league. Always alert and moving in the box. Terrific leap and outstanding placement with his headers. Movement and anticipation that only Aguero in this country compares to. Dragging defenders out of position constantly, creating pockets of space for his team mates. Cute passes in tight areas to those who are clever enough to be on his wavelength. Once he can sprint again, you're looking at the real deal, the whole ****ing package.

Liverpool score every 23 minutes when he's been on the pitch in our last 3 games. His stat for the season is under a goal every 40 minutes whilst he's on the pitch. Combined goals and assists per minute, he leads the league when penalties are removed, and just goals too.

And that's in a season where he's been half fit, and unable to even sprint properly. He's in the higher echelons of strikers in the world and if he stays fit we'll undoubtedly challenge for the title next year. Making him take time off and prove his fitness, sacrificing the short term for the long term, is probably the best single decision of Klopp's time here so far.
Reply 6624
Who needs SAS when you have DAD (Divock and Daniel)
Reply 6625
Original post by One Dance
Wasteful, always one touch too many, unerringly selfish, and laughably lazy when we don't have the ball.

This is the Sturridge we know and love, or at least Liverpool fans used to know and love. In his time out and the rustiness after his Klopp preseason, maybe it was forgotten who Sturridge really is. This is Sturridge in his best form. When he's in his best form, few strikers create chances for their team mates like he does with his movement. And even fewer create chances for themselves like he does. His dribbling looked classical Sturridge, waiting till the last second to throw the defender off balance. Twisting one way and the other, two footed. Ball glued to his foot inside the box, half yard to shoot created with ease. Technically better than any Englishman playing the game still, only Alli and Wilshere even in his league. Always alert and moving in the box. Terrific leap and outstanding placement with his headers. Movement and anticipation that only Aguero in this country compares to. Dragging defenders out of position constantly, creating pockets of space for his team mates. Cute passes in tight areas to those who are clever enough to be on his wavelength. Once he can sprint again, you're looking at the real deal, the whole ****ing package.

Liverpool score every 23 minutes when he's been on the pitch in our last 3 games. His stat for the season is under a goal every 40 minutes whilst he's on the pitch. Combined goals and assists per minute, he leads the league when penalties are removed, and just goals too.

And that's in a season where he's been half fit, and unable to even sprint properly. He's in the higher echelons of strikers in the world and if he stays fit we'll undoubtedly challenge for the title next year. Making him take time off and prove his fitness, sacrificing the short term for the long term, is probably the best single decision of Klopp's time here so far.

Yeah, if Sturridge is fit next year you are looking for a very good season.

Personally I think that Rodgers probably would have been kept in a job if he wasn't being resorted to using Sterling at ST and had Sturridge available the entire season.

Klopp scares me personally, however I think your team still is weak in certain areas which need to be rectified in the summer(central midfield in particular). Also you lack a pacey winger unless Jordan Ibe was to improve his output(although admittedly I haven't watched him closely).

You have a ****ing good manager in your ranks though.
I've just seen the highlights and wow, Sturridge could have easily had a hattrick! Hopefully the club can manage his fitness and make sure he stays injury free. He is ridiculously clinical and so important to the team. I hope he and Origi start vs Everton.
Original post by The.Joker
I've just seen the highlights and wow, Sturridge could have easily had a hattrick! Hopefully the club can manage his fitness and make sure he stays injury free. He is ridiculously clinical and so important to the team. I hope he and Origi start vs Everton.

Link? I saw the goals but not seen the other two chances that Sturridge had
He's no Kane though is he
Original post by bammy jastard 27

Klopp scares me personally, however I think your team still is weak in certain areas which need to be rectified in the summer(central midfield in particular). Also you lack a pacey winger unless Jordan Ibe was to improve his output(although admittedly I haven't watched him closely).

You have a ****ing good manager in your ranks though.

Ibe's future looks like it lies away from Anfield, but he impressed me a lot yesterday. He and Ojo seemed to have a real impact, but the former impressed me more. They were fluid in the 4-2-3-1 - which seemed pretty traditional - and constantly caused problems for Bournemouth out wide.
Link? I saw the goals but not seen the other two chances that Sturridge had

it was on motd 2. Starts at 33/34th min I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKzV94xR9g
Urgh, can't believe we missed out on Alli last summer... :frown:
Original post by The.Joker
Urgh, can't believe we missed out on Alli last summer... :frown:

Clubs miss out on players all the time. It's nothing to feel aggrieved about. In my lifetime, we've been linked to all manner of great players. It's just one of those things.
Original post by Mackay
Clubs miss out on players all the time. It's nothing to feel aggrieved about. In my lifetime, we've been linked to all manner of great players. It's just one of those things.

Many teams can say the same for some of our greats - Gerrard, Suarez, etc...

Nobody ever knows whether they would've been as good at their club anyway.
Maybe Alli would've struggled to break in to our midfield or struggled to gel with our players?
Original post by Lúcio
Many teams can say the same for some of our greats - Gerrard, Suarez, etc...

Nobody ever knows whether they would've been as good at their club anyway.
Maybe Alli would've struggled to break in to our midfield or struggled to gel with our players?

He seems to do pretty well with Kane.

Can Martinez afford to rest Everton players for the derby in the hope of helping his FA cup run or does he have to try and win both games?

Can Martinez afford to rest Everton players for the derby in the hope of helping his FA cup run or does he have to try and win both games?

He's already said he won't be resting players, which is obviously the right call because he can't afford to alienate fans any more.

They've got players back from injury now, too, so he has more at his disposal than a few weeks ago.
Original post by Mackay
He's already said he won't be resting players, which is obviously the right call because he can't afford to alienate fans any more.

They've got players back from injury now, too, so he has more at his disposal than a few weeks ago.

Shame.. was hoping we could batter them.

Anyone got any stats on Sturridge? How long he's been back with no injury, how many games, how many minutes, how many goals?
Shame.. was hoping we could batter them.

Anyone got any stats on Sturridge? How long he's been back with no injury, how many games, how many minutes, how many goals?

Not sure about the latter, but Bournemouth marked the first time since 2013/14 he's started four PL games straight for us.
Reply 6638
Yeah Sturridge, Origi and Firmino looking pretty OP for next season as a strike force.

Personally I'd still keep Benteke for the plan B. Who realistically is going to work better as a 3rd choice plan B option? Liverpool suffer from lack of height too and his defensive work from set pieces is also a useful attribute to have. I also think that with a strike partner like Sturridge he'd be pretty good too. Sturridge is a player who is capable of working in tandem with most strikers because of his link up play(those 40 yard cross field volleys man).

Genuinely think that Sturridge would start at Real Madrid.

Bentekkerz could also go on loan to a PL side. I reckon he'd be pretty good for Chelsea as a second choice ST too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah Sturridge, Origi and Firmino looking pretty OP for next season as a strike force.

Personally I'd still keep Benteke for the plan B. Who realistically is going to work better as a 3rd choice plan B option? Liverpool suffer from lack of height too and his defensive work from set pieces is also a useful attribute to have. I also think that with a strike partner like Sturridge he'd be pretty good too. Sturridge is a player who is capable of working in tandem with most strikers because of his link up play(those 40 yard cross field volleys man).

There wouldn't be a better third option in the PL than Benteke, imho. But I question whether Klopp wants that particular plan B, to be honest. Also, we've already heard grumblings of discontent from him and his agent. I don't think he wants to be anywhere he isn't a regular starter, so you've got to then question whether he'd be motivated if deployed on a part-time/limited basis.

I think we'll sell him and look to recoup as much as possible, before signing somebody like Alario, to be honest.

Latest