The Student Room Group

The March of the Far Right in Europe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mathemagicien
I remember seeing headlines talking about the 'shocking'ly good performance of Front National in the French elections, which was mere weeks after the Paris attacks. Its like they can't connect the dots...

The Front National will probably finish first next year in the presidential elections, and the left will finish 3rd. In the second stage, Le Pen is currently defeated by Sarkozy, but only by a 10 point margin - it was 32 points 2 years ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good. Pendulum has swung too far to the left, and this is the natural response.

Caring about your country and people over violent savages does not make you a 'fascist'.
Reply 22
Sarkozy is drifting further right (as in, anti-Islam), isn't he, these days?

Everybody is anti-Islam nowadays, even the left. The problem is that they all talk a lot,but I fail to see any realistic proposition that would change anything.
Original post by Josb
The Front National will probably finish first next year in the presidential elections, and the left will finish 3rd. In the second stage, Le Pen is currently defeated by Sarkozy, but only by a 10 point margin - it was 32 points 2 years ago.

One of them strange situations where I feel that another terrorist attack in France before the election would actually be a good thing, as then Le Pen would win, and that would prevent many further future attacks and save scores of lives.
Reply 24
Sarkozy is drifting further right (as in, anti-Islam), isn't he, these days?

Sarkozy is also losing grounds to Alain Juppé, the current mayor of Bordeaux, who is the clone of Jacques Chirac. Like his mentor, Juppé has been involved in several corruption cases and won't do anything, but he is the kind of centre-right politician that has won the majority of elections for 60 years. So I'd bet my money on him.
Reply 25
Original post by The_Opinion
One of them strange situations where I feel that another terrorist attack in France before the election would actually be a good thing, as then Le Pen would win, and that would prevent many further future attacks and save scores of lives.

I don't think that the election would have any impact on future terrorist attacks - at least in the short term.
Original post by Josb
I don't think that the election would have any impact on future terrorist attacks - at least in the short term.

I am entirely thinking long term. The French establishment parties (like in the UK) are too weak to actually address the problem in the long term.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending