The Student Room Group

Taking a year out of uni during degree?

Hi, I have a couple quick questions, if someone could please help answer for me? :frown: thanks.

Is it possible to take a gap year after the 1st and/or 2nd year of university? How hard is it to be allowed to take one? I've heard you can take years off if your sick. For a student who wants to take a year off between years so that he can work and save up money to pay for the tuition fees, is that a good enough reason (if gap years are allowed that is)? In case you know their specific policies, I'm hoping to get into either Qmul or Kcl god willing.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey!

I took a year off between first and second year. At my uni it was perfectly simple - they do expect a reason but basically anything is acceptable from health to finances.

If you haven't started your course yet, they should let you take a year out before you start; put the start year to 2017 instead. Especially if it's to do with your finances.

Anymore questions just ask! :smile:
Original post by thilly6
Hey!

I took a year off between first and second year. At my uni it was perfectly simple - they do expect a reason but basically anything is acceptable from health to finances.

If you haven't started your course yet, they should let you take a year out before you start; put the start year to 2017 instead. Especially if it's to do with your finances.

Anymore questions just ask! :smile:

Thanks for responding!

Do you mind if i ask what uni you studied at and the course you took?
It was possible at my alma mater (RHUL) but I'm not sure if it's allowed at every institution. Have you considered contacting your department?
That process is called an 'Interruption of studies', rather than a year out or year off. Start investigating whatever you can find on your university's website, before going in to meet and discuss with the department. Don't ever put yourself in a position of weakness (such as lacking basic information groundwork), if you're asking the uni for special treatment.

You will also probably need to provide evidence to justify your request.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending