The Student Room Group

Can a Uni take back an Unconditional after a subject change

Hello!
I am currently in 6th year of high school in Scotland and have attained 5 highers in my 5th year which has got me an unconditional offer at every university which I've applied for (not trying to boast, I'm just trying to give everyone a better picture of the situation I'm in). In my UCAS application it has said that I am sitting 3 subjects in my 6th year, 1 higher and 2 advanced highers, however due to unforeseen circumstances I have had to drop down to just one advanced higher in the last week (I have finished the course for the 2 subjects I have dropped, my school advised me not to sit them as they were concerned if having a high workload at this time would effect me negatively). My first choice university would be Edinburgh, I have attempted to make contact with them but I'm still waiting for their reply.

Will this cause the universities to withdraw/change their offer? This has made me so anxious as I feel like I have completely ruined my future. I don't feel like my school would make any comment to the universities regarding this issue but I will obviously see if they can. Please reply if you are familiar with the Scottish grading system as I believe it is slightly different with A-levels.
Thanks!!
Entry requirements for most of our programmes are four Highers at specified grades to be achieved by the end of S5.

Taken from the University website...
Do you mind sharing what grades you achieved?
Reply 2
Original post by DepletingSanity
Taken from the University website...
Do you mind sharing what grades you achieved?

That is what I was thinking as well but I'm still really unsure as I have read lots of mixed thing on different threads :s-smilie:
Yeah of course, I somehow managed to get AAABB in 5th year. I was predicted for BBB in 6th year.
Reply 3
They can withdraw the offer. If you have mitigating circumstances that mean you need to drop the subject then tell them as this can make a difference
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
They can withdraw the offer. If you have mitigating circumstances that mean you need to drop the subject then tell them as this can make a difference

Do you think there is a good chance they will revoke the offer even though I have achieved their 'typical offer' entry requirements? Have you seen it happen before?
Reply 5
Original post by BCEHM
Do you think there is a good chance they will revoke the offer even though I have achieved their 'typical offer' entry requirements? Have you seen it happen before?

I think I have seen it before, but wine and lack of sleep means I can't remember details.

You're more likely to be fine if you have exceeded the requirements rather than just scraping them. Extenuating circumstances also help.
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
I think I have seen it before, but wine and lack of sleep means I can't remember details.

You're more likely to be fine if you have exceeded the requirements rather than just scraping them. Extenuating circumstances also help.

Hahaa, wine can do bad things to good people - it gets you in a funky way.:biggrin:

On their website it says:
"The typical offer is likely to be:

SQA Highers: AAAB by the end of S5 or AAAA/AAABB in S4-S6

Minimum entry requirements:

SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or ABBBB/AABB from S4-S6... Qualified applicants are advised to take Biology and Chemistry at Advanced Higher level where possible."

It is chemistry that I am sitting as my Advanced Higher so I suppose they could look more lightly upon it.
Think I've got a lot of persuading to do with the admissions team.

I forgot to mention as well that I am LEAPS eligible which help students to get into university from certain backgrounds and Edinburgh have the 'LEAPS guarantee' to offer any student who is LEAPS eligible and has met the minimum requirements an unconditional offer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending