The Student Room Group

Choosing between placement or Russell Group Uni

Hey everyone,

Wondering what the majority view is on my situation, which is this...

Trying to choose between an offer at the prestigious Bristol University and an offer from Brighton University for Social Policy. I love the city of Bristol and the university offers greater modular choice, however Brighton offer two year long placements in years two and three, which on reading various articles, I've read that work experience is becoming more important than choice of university to employers.
What is your take on my situation, Bristol or Brighton?
Reply 1
While placements are indeed important, the gap in prestige between Bristol and Brighton is massive.

I would go to Bristol. If you want work experience there are summer internships
Reply 2
Original post by Cameron_Millar
Hey everyone,

Wondering what the majority view is on my situation, which is this...

Trying to choose between an offer at the prestigious Bristol University and an offer from Brighton University for Social Policy. I love the city of Bristol and the university offers greater modular choice, however Brighton offer two year long placements in years two and three, which on reading various articles, I've read that work experience is becoming more important than choice of university to employers.
What is your take on my situation, Bristol or Brighton?

Two year long placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which course looks more interesting to you? I know you've said about the modules but might be worth just asking a module leader for how it's delivered (any practical work time / how assessments are structured etc). There's more to it than how prestigious the uni is alone. If you can't get course details online, give the uni a ring and ask to speak to someone about it. It's also worth asking about class sizes, from friends there I think Bristol can be large (I have no idea about Brighton sorry!) as getting to know your tutor can be important if you want feedback or help!

I chose a prestigious uni over the one I really wanted to go to because it was prestigious and everyone pushed for it. I was sure I could get through the course (ending up with a 'better degree') despite preferring the course content and layout at my second choice. Upshot of it is that I hated it and dropped out because it just wasn't what I dreamt it up to be..

So basically, I wouldn't make your choice solely on reputation, your enjoyment and what the uni can offer you are really important too. If you like the sound of the placements, find out a bit more :u:

Original post by jneill
Two year long placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this is Brighton's new BSc in Social Policy and Practice that's not what it says...

"Work placements are available in years 2 and 3 to give you privileged access to policy-related organisations. If you impress your employer, the placements may even pave the way to your future career."
https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/social-policy-and-practice-bsc-hons.aspx

Or is it another course?
Original post by CharlieH1992
Which course looks more interesting to you? I know you've said about the modules but might be worth just asking a module leader for how it's delivered (any practical work time / how assessments are structured etc). There's more to it than how prestigious the uni is alone. If you can't get course details online, give the uni a ring and ask to speak to someone about it. It's also worth asking about class sizes, from friends there I think Bristol can be large (I have no idea about Brighton sorry!) as getting to know your tutor can be important if you want feedback or help!

I chose a prestigious uni over the one I really wanted to go to because it was prestigious and everyone pushed for it. I was sure I could get through the course (ending up with a 'better degree':wink: despite preferring the course content and layout at my second choice. Upshot of it is that I hated it and dropped out because it just wasn't what I dreamt it up to be..

So basically, I wouldn't make your choice solely on reputation, your enjoyment and what the uni can offer you are really important too. If you like the sound of the placements, find out a bit more :u:

Thanks for your reply, I do prefer Bristol's course over Brighton's, but I got the feeling that Brighton's classes may be a bit smaller, allowing that greater feedback between teacher and student. Bristol also had more exams than Brighton and my handwriting is awful to look at in exams haha. Yeah hard to judge, think I might visit Brighton one more time to compare and ask policy companies what they'd prefer experience v 'better' degree :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
If this is Brighton's new BSc in Social Policy and Practice that's not what it says...

"Work placements are available in years 2 and 3 to give you privileged access to policy-related organisations. If you impress your employer, the placements may even pave the way to your future career."
https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/social-policy-and-practice-bsc-hons.aspx

Or is it another course?

Yes it is this exact course, there is a placement in year 2 and 3 for two days a week through the academic year.
Yes it is this exact course, there is a placement in year 2 and 3 for two days a week through the academic year.

OK. Two single placements or multiple shorter ones?
Thanks for your reply, I do prefer Bristol's course over Brighton's, but I got the feeling that Brighton's classes may be a bit smaller, allowing that greater feedback between teacher and student. Bristol also had more exams than Brighton and my handwriting is awful to look at in exams haha. Yeah hard to judge, think I might visit Brighton one more time to compare and ask policy companies what they'd prefer experience v 'better' degree :smile:

Charlue H's advice was good.
You are taking sensible steps for making the best decision for you. Also find out what people do after the degree. Although the work placements sound handy I would go for Bristol and try and arrange my own over the summer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending