The Student Room Group

We're staying in the EU

Scroll to see replies

Most probably we're staying in, but I don't think labelling those who want to leave as all being 'buffoons' is going to win any undecideds over. The fact that Vote Leave is the official campaign for Brexit should mean that we'll be seeing less Farage/Galloway and more 'reasonable' Brexiteers take the limelight.

As for what an in vote (or for that matter an out vote) means for UKIP, I really couldn't say. I certainly hope that their prospects are bleak, but what one wants and what the reality is obviously can't always be the same. That being said, I don't think a large enough chunk of people when actually voting are as upset with 'the status quo' as some angry people on the internet are, at least to me certainly not to the extent that UKIP will be getting many more MPs come 2020. There are too many unknowns to make a reasonable prediction either way, though - all I can say is that UKIP have been falling away in terms of vote %s in local by-elections since May 2015, though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by paul514
UKIP will get more support after a remain vote but only enough for a few more seats it will take getting more than 20% nationally to get more than that.

Also it should be remembered it will be 4 years until the GE so lots of time for forgetting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of time for the EU to mess up, the Eurozone to collapse, the migrant crisis to worsen, I pray no terror attacks but most likely will happen. 4 years will only fuel euroscepticism. To think the EU was barely debated in 2010 and now is number 1 topic, it takes time for the problem to resonate with more and more people. Then there's the impacts of TTIP which will annoy a lot as it phases in. The future in the EU looks very bleak, there is no bright future to look forward to.

Oh I forgot, full membership of turkey and god knows what other countries.
Original post by Omen96
Lots of time for the EU to mess up, the Eurozone to collapse, the migrant crisis to worsen, I pray no terror attacks but most likely will happen. 4 years will only fuel euroscepticism. To think the EU was barely debated in 2010 and now is number 1 topic, it takes time for the problem to resonate with more and more people. Then there's the impacts of TTIP which will annoy a lot as it phases in. The future in the EU looks very bleak, there is no bright future to look forward to.

Oh I forgot, full membership of turkey and god knows what other countries.

Ukraine and Bosnia too.

None of the three will be agreed by 2020 though.

I agree there are lots of problems to come with the eu in the coming 4 years I just don't agree that ukip will pass a 20% mark in the 2020 GE.

There isn't much to come from the lib dems, labour depends on its leadership and the conservatives will have little to move without defections

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frank Underwood
2 months early, and I'm calling it.

Not because its the right decision, although I do support staying in the EU, but the simple fact that Cameron, Clegg, Miliband, Sturgeon and Corbyn are all in and the only people supporting out are buffoons like Farage, Johnson and IDS who resigned means that those loyal to labour and tories will generally vote in. There will be some defectors either side who are angry at either party for whatever reason.

Quick Reply