The Student Room Group

What were Morrison's thinking ?

Scroll to see replies

why has he not been stoned already?
Original post by Novascope
HAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah because all farms that don't make halal meat kill their stock in less savage/inhumane ways.

It isn't the farms that slaughter but the abattoirs, and they are subject to strict guidelines and inspected by vets. One of the provisions is that the animals are stunned before being killed.

The vets who do inspections also of Halal slaughter houses say that the Muslim (and Jewish also) methods of slaughter ARE inhumane. Educate yourself.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/06/reform-of-kosher-and-halal-slaughter-practices
Reply 122
Original post by sfaraj
ah i see what you mean... but personally i think halal meat is healthier and morally better than non-halal (even though i'm vegetarian) but i guess some oppose as they think it will taste bad or somehow magically convert them...
Halal meat is exactly the same, except the animal was fully conscious when it had its throat cut, rather than being stunned first.

Which of those two do you is morally better?

BTW, over 80% of halal meat from the UK is pre-stunned, so the only real difference between most of it is that halal has had a verse from the Quran read over the animal, and it faced Mecca when it was killed. Everything else is identical.
Original post by QE2
Halal meat is exactly the same, except the animal was fully conscious when it had its throat cut, rather than being stunned first.

Which of those two do you is morally better?

BTW, over 80% of halal meat from the UK is pre-stunned, so the only real difference between most of it is that halal has had a verse from the Quran read over the animal, and it faced Mecca when it was killed. Everything else is identical.

halal. I know you say a lot of it has not been pre-stunned, they don't get whipped, have boiling water poured over them, or crushed by machinery when being killed
Reply 124
Original post by sfaraj
because of the way it is killed, the blood is removed from the blood to ensure there is not blood left. however with non-halal meat, the blood is left so diseases etc and still present in the blood.
You've been reading those dawahganda websites again!

Both halal and regular slaughter use exactly the same process of killing - an incision to a major artery in the neck or chest, which leads to death from a massive drop in blood pressure (exsanguination). This takes between several seconds and a couple of minutes, depending on the animal and the skill of the operator.

The only difference is that in regular slaughter, the animal is unconscious before the throat is cut. All the blood drains out in both halal and non halal.

BTW, could you explain the process whereby a disease is only present in the blood and not in any other tissue, and by removing most of the blood, the animal becomes disease free. And what are these diseases?
Original post by QE2
You've been reading those dawahganda websites again!

Both halal and regular slaughter use exactly the same process of killing - an incision to a major artery in the neck or chest, which leads to death from a massive drop in blood pressure (exsanguination). This takes between several seconds and a couple of minutes, depending on the animal and the skill of the operator.

The only difference is that in regular slaughter, the animal is unconscious before the throat is cut. All the blood drains out in both halal and non halal.

BTW, could you explain the process whereby a disease is only present in the blood and not in any other tissue, and by removing most of the blood, the animal becomes disease free. And what are these diseases?

please stop bashing me, its stressing me out :frown:

k what the hell is a dawahganda website, ive never heard of those....

okay maybe i should have asked google how to kill an animal first before commenting

regarding your last question, idk some youtuber who had recently become vegan after readin a book on animal killing an stuff said those things

PLEASE LEAVE ME
Reply 126
Original post by Zarek
To be honest if you're serious about animal welfare the best bet is to become a vegetarian. Farm animal slaughter is a production line business and far from humane in whatever guise it's painted.
Very true. But there is no harm in taking steps to minimise the suffering of those animals that are going to be killed to supply the huge demand for meat.
Reply 127
Original post by zXcodeXz
Eating pork if your a Muslim?
But i's permitted in cases of necessity or ignorance. So no loss.
Reply 128
Original post by Niltiac229
Yeah but to be honest you would feel the same way if you bit into a pasty and it was full of ****- obviously it wasn't **** but Muslims could see Pork as being just as disgusting as ****. Don't know if that makes sense because it's late and I'm tired but I had to try and make a point lmao
Would a racist, white supremacist have a case for being operated on by a black surgeon without their knowledge?
Reply 129
Original post by zXcodeXz
Non-Muslims eat any type of meat why would it bother them if they got halal meat? They wouldn't even care
Wrong. Non-Muslims have many and varied approaches to meat. Some people only eat organic, or free-range. Some won't eat veal, others turkey. Some won't eat halal. Just the same as Muslims with pork. It is a personal choice based of information particular to the individual. You can't say that one person's preference is more valid than anothers.
Reply 130
Original post by Mathemagicien
I wonder if they can get compensation... after all, their souls are going to spend an eternity in hell, aren't they?
Not for accidentally eating pork.
Possibly for worshipping the wrong god though!
Reply 131
Original post by ambitious1999
the latest morrisons adverts use soviet realist music albeit with english lyrics but i presume that's part of their promotion of russian produce, such as boscht, salo, okroshka, kvas etc which are popular at the moment alongside the picture of president putin seen near the checkouts encouraging people to try their russian range.
offended!
Boycott!!
Compensation!!!
Reply 132
Original post by ambitious1999
the latest morrisons adverts use soviet realist music albeit with english lyrics but i presume that's part of their promotion of russian produce, such as boscht, salo, okroshka, kvas etc which are popular at the moment alongside the picture of president putin seen near the checkouts encouraging people to try their russian range.
offended!
boycott!!
compensation!!!
Reply 133
Original post by the bear
borscht
No. It's true!
Reply 134
Original post by sfaraj
dammit you're everywhere i am. im not kidding im actually scared of you
Don't be scared.
*strokes hair*
Original post by sfaraj

Rational discussion stresses you out and makes you sad. What a surprise.
Reply 136
Original post by sfaraj
halal. I know you say a lot of it has not been pre-stunned, they don't get whipped, have boiling water poured over them, or crushed by machinery when being killed
Whipping, boiling water and crushing are all illegal practices in the slaughter industry.

I would be interested to see your sources for these claims. It's not the Saw movies, is it?
Reply 137
Original post by sfaraj
k what the hell is a dawahganda website, ive never heard of those....
They are those Islamic websites that contain anything from misrepresentation to outright lies, in an attempt to persuade the faithful and make new converts

okay maybe i should have asked google how to kill an animal first before commenting

regarding your last question, idk some youtuber who had recently become vegan after readin a book on animal killing an stuff said those things
If you want to know about livestock slaughter regulations and practices, consult the relevant government departments, RSPCA, academic studies, vets associations, etc.
"Some guy on YouTube" may be the go-to resource for things Islamic, but not in the real world.

PLEASE LEAVE ME
You are posting on an open forum. If you make claims that are demonstrably untrue, then expect them to be challenged.
If I really am bothering you that mutch, either do some proper research first, or stick me on your "ignore" list.
Would be funny if someone accidentally took a bite into halal food due to the labelling, would be a huge media outcry and outrage.

Original post by Mathemagicien

awh how cute

Quick Reply

Latest