The Student Room Group

How much rent do your parents charge you?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 21 in uni and work part time. They only want £80 a month from me, which I think is really cheap. At 21 I did expect to give them some money and offered them more, but that's all they wanted. They don't bother me about it or anything though if I'm a day late, sounds bad for you :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I think the smart thing to do is not charge them rent to help them save their money, unless your parents are struggling I wouldn't pay a dime. Just your own bills such as car and phone.
Nothing, I'd rather be homeless than spend more than a few weeks with my parents
Tbh if you're working I think it's only fair to put a little bit forward. I mean, does your mum do a lot for you? Like your laundry, cooks all your meals etc? I imagine that £100 includes all your food for a month too. I think a lot of parents charge their kids rent as a way of teaching them independence, idk. My bro lives at home still and gives my dad £100 a month, my dad didn't ask but my brother just felt he should. I don't live at home anymore but whenever I go home I always put towards the shopping and buy us a takeaway or something. I like helping out :dontknow:
Original post by Precious Illusions
Tbh if you're working I think it's only fair to put a little bit forward. I mean, does your mum do a lot for you? Like your laundry, cooks all your meals etc? I imagine that £100 includes all your food for a month too. I think a lot of parents charge their kids rent as a way of teaching them independence, idk. My bro lives at home still and gives my dad £100 a month, my dad didn't ask but my brother just felt he should. I don't live at home anymore but whenever I go home I always put towards the shopping and buy us a takeaway or something. I like helping out :dontknow:

Nah i don't eat their food. i have to buy my own. I live completely differently to the way they do ahd thats probably why it's so annoying. Could never survive with the unhealthy food they eat. I have to buy lots of chicken, fish, veggies, fruit, etc.

I don't get the teaching independence thing. It's completely stupid. You only can learn independence when you're out in the world on your own, but then again you aren't really independent when you're with your parents. You live like they want you to live and by their rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

The bit in bold exactly. I give my mumsy £160 a month and I buy about half my own food. I don't complain because I'd be spending more than that if I lived in my own place.

Now, I think how much should be charged should be proportionate. I'm in my mid 20s now, I make a living and with those expenses I can still afford to run a car, buy my living essentials and have money to spend and save. Bit harsh if your parent is taking nearly all your income for keep :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
They charge my sister £200 a month, but I'm still at college so they'd only plan on charging me after I left education. They mentioned me paying rent with my part time weekend job but I was like naaaaa
I don't pay rent. I save everything I earn.:ahee:
Absolutely nothing because my parents actually have enough brain cells to realise it's better for me to save for a deposit on a house, rather than waste my money paying them rent that they have no need for

Good for your brother is what I say. There appears to be a lot on this thread who could learn a thing or two from him.
I am a mum, I charge my son (graduated now and age 21) £100 a month.

We don't need the money, but how on earth will he ever have learn to appreciate the cost of things if he never contributes. He eats damn fine food, cooked for him, he has clothes that are washed and ironed for him (I even use fabric conditioner so they always smell lovely :smile:). He lives in a clean, dry house that is never cold with endless hot water and toiletries available.

I don't actually spend the money he gives me, I save it towards a deposit on a house (if he ever gets one), but if I needed it, hell I would spend it to pay for what he uses! - he doesn't know I save the money BTW, I tell him I spend it on wine.

When you get your little flat and have to pay for your rent, gas, electric, council tax, water and contents insurance you will wish you were living back at home with mum because at least then you could afford a social life.

You do realise that your mum's shopping bill, gas, electricity, water would all be less if you weren't there right?
Original post by ViewOnlyMum
I am a mum, I charge my son (graduated now and age 21) £100 a month.

We don't need the money, but how on earth will he ever have learn to appreciate the cost of things if he never contributes. He eats damn fine food, cooked for him, he has clothes that are washed and ironed for him (I even use fabric conditioner so they always smell lovely :smile:). He lives in a clean, dry house that is never cold with endless hot water and toiletries available.

I don't actually spend the money he gives me, I save it towards a deposit on a house (if he ever gets one), but if I needed it, hell I would spend it to pay for what he uses! - he doesn't know I save the money BTW, I tell him I spend it on wine.

When you get your little flat and have to pay for your rent, gas, electric, council tax, water and contents insurance you will wish you were living back at home with mum because at least then you could afford a social life.

You do realise that your mum's shopping bill, gas, electricity, water would all be less if you weren't there right?

You're really great, I like you a lot :yep:
Original post by ViewOnlyMum

You're a good mum. Your son is lucky, he'll be so appreciative of that one day.
Reply 33
None, they're my parents.

Spoiler

#dhoriyavera
Original post by spv
None, they're my parents.

Spoiler

#dhoriyavera

:rofl:
22 earning around 28k/yr here parents never ask me for any money (though I wish I could afford to pay the mortgage for them), as i'm saving for my £18k MSc. As soon as I get my first job after masters my parents are never paying the mortgage again though.

Tl;dr - no my parents don't ask for anything but i feel like shyet for not contributing.
free but they want me to pay but I have no money
When I lived at home I paid £160pm when I had a student bursary and was working part time in a call centre. Why wouldn't I contribute? I'm earning and using everything in the house. When I graduated and was looking for a job they didn't ask me (I didn't have any money) because they knew I was looking everywhere. Would have been different if I wasn't or unemployed for a long time.
Original post by JohnGreek
My parents are practically desperate to have me come back home after I finish my degree, so, erm, nothing.

It makes sense ,if you are greek . Greek parents usually don't charge their children no matter what their age is .
However I suppose you won't return
£120 a month. I can't imagine having a job and not paying something to my parents tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest