The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Graduation Ceremonies - do they announce your classification?

Hi, there is next to no information on this in the UCL website. For ex students of Ucl, do they reveal your classification in any way at the ceremony? Is it printed in the programme? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Sicily123
Hi, there is next to no information on this in the UCL website. For ex students of Ucl, do they reveal your classification in any way at the ceremony? Is it printed in the programme? Thanks.

I would have thought this would not happen in any University.
My classification is not public domain.
Anybody from any uni please?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by M14B
I would have thought this would not happen in any University.
My classification is not public domain.
Anybody from any uni please?

At my undergrad uni, they printed people's names in the programme according to their classification. Within each classification, the students were listed alphabetically. At the ceremony, the students were called up in their classification groups.

So first to go up were those who had won gold medals (kind of like a Starred First), then the 'regular' First Class students, then the 2.1s, 2.2s and so forth. I always thought it was rather nasty.

However, at my current uni where I'm doing my postgrad, everyone is just listed alphabetically according to the degree they're receiving that day (so PhD, MSc, BA, etc.).
Original post by Sicily123

Hiya,

Just moved this over to UCL's section. :smile:

Ethan
Reply 4
Original post by gutenberg
At my undergrad uni, they printed people's names in the programme according to their classification. Within each classification, the students were listed alphabetically. At the ceremony, the students were called up in their classification groups.

So first to go up were those who had won gold medals (kind of like a Starred First), then the 'regular' First Class students, then the 2.1s, 2.2s and so forth. I always thought it was rather nasty.

However, at my current uni where I'm doing my postgrad, everyone is just listed alphabetically according to the degree they're receiving that day (so PhD, MSc, BA, etc.).

Terrible as this is public humiliation
Original post by M14B
Terrible as this is public humiliation

Yup. I mean, if you were happy with your grade then it wouldn't matter, but of course there were plenty of people who were unhappy and it only compounds the disappointment. They at least didn't indicate rankings, i.e. who had just scraped a 2.1 versus the top-scoring 2.1, but that's not much comfort. After exams, our results are posted publicly on noticeboards, on printed class lists using people's student numbers. However, it is often very easy to guess who people are, and since those class lists are ranked (i.e. the person at the top has the best overall grade), you can compare people and how they did. I can imagine that will eventually fall foul of some data protection law, if it hasn't already.

At my ceremony there was one solitary guy who received a Third. The kind thing to do would of course be to stick him in with the last group of 2.2s to receive their certs, but no. They made him go up on his own. That's simply nasty in this day and age, disguised as 'tradition'. At least everyone at the ceremony gave him a huge round of applause as he walked back to his seat :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending