The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2900
Original post by nomophobia
You had school today?

Man, the Easter holidays are SO messed up this year.

I still have a week left :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did! We returned last week aha. >.< The Easter holidays are v messed up this year, I agree. That is v strange. :s-smilie:

I hope you're enjoying your time off so far though. ^-^ :hugs:
Reply 2901
Original post by Kamara7
I'm going to do yet ANOTHER C4 paper :indiff:

You can do it.- Good luck! :indiff:

XD

:awesome:
Reply 2902
Okay, I spent the past hour working through the Electrochemical cells chemistry homework sheet for tomorrow + I managed to complete it. I think I'm done for today. :'3
Original post by Anon_98
Yes, I did! We returned last week aha. >.< The Easter holidays are v messed up this year, I agree. That is v strange. :s-smilie:

I hope you're enjoying your time off so far though. ^-^ :hugs:

What? I had no idea - so you had the 2 weeks before last week? :confused: I know, me and my youngest brother have the same holidays but my other younger brother doesn't... and I was under the impression all the colleges and primary schools had the same holidays... :dontknow: I think I know why though - and it's a stupid reason -.-

I am - ish. I'm shadowing a GP this week but guess what happened? This morning, I turn up there and I had arranged it all with the main GP and he was like "sure, come in, I'll arrange it all".

Guess what?

They had no idea I was coming >.< :indiff:. I was there at 8:30, bloody exhausted and hadn't done ANY housework and they turned me away :angry::angry::angry: BUT I did get to try out a coffee shop I'd been meaning to try for ages to see if I could study there (i can although probably won't be going there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2904
Original post by nomophobia
What? I had no idea - so you had the 2 weeks before last week? :confused: I know, me and my youngest brother have the same holidays but my other younger brother doesn't... and I was under the impression all the colleges and primary schools had the same holidays... :dontknow: I think I know why though - and it's a stupid reason -.-

I am - ish. I'm shadowing a GP this week but guess what happened? This morning, I turn up there and I had arranged it all with the main GP and he was like "sure, come in, I'll arrange it all".

Guess what?

They had no idea I was coming >.< :indiff:. I was there at 8:30, bloody exhausted and hadn't done ANY housework and they turned me away :angry::angry::angry: BUT I did get to try out a coffee shop I'd been meaning to try for ages to see if I could study there (i can although probably won't be going there)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! So, it was like from the 25th March until 10th April. XD Incredibly early in comparison to usual which was great tbh- I couldn't wait to break up! >.< But does that mean your may half term will be in the mid-june period? :s-smilie: + Wait, why?/what's the reason? -I've no idea. O_O

Ooh, that sounds v exciting. :biggrin: But ohmyg whaatttt.-that's ridiculous. :rofl: I know I shouldn't be laughing but it sounds like the sort of thing that would happen to me. Oh gosh, poor you. :console: Have you rearranged now though?

Yay glad to hear it wasn't all bad then. (': Did you treat yourself to a hot chocolate after all the pain from the banishment? :dance:
Original post by Anon_98
You can do it.- Good luck! :indiff:

XD

:awesome:

Done it, it went quite well! I'm at the point in the year where I feel completely empty and have no emotions because of all the past papers I had to look at. GCSEs were simpler times :moon: :nothing:
Original post by Anon_98
Yes! So, it was like from the 25th March until 10th April. XD Incredibly early in comparison to usual which was great tbh- I couldn't wait to break up! >.< But does that mean your may half term will be in the mid-june period? :s-smilie: + Wait, why?/what's the reason? -I've no idea. O_O

Ooh, that sounds v exciting. :biggrin: But ohmyg whaatttt.-that's ridiculous. :rofl: I know I shouldn't be laughing but it sounds like the sort of thing that would happen to me. Oh gosh, poor you. :console: Have you rearranged now though?

Yay glad to hear it wasn't all bad then. (': Did you treat yourself to a hot chocolate after all the pain from the banishment? :dance:

Wow! That's so early! Lol, I bet you were dying for a holiday (wait you mean the bank holiday weekend? Cuz that was aaaaages ago) No I don't think so, it will still be in may (hopefully - we break up in June so....) Because the half term between Feb and now would've been too short >.< and the half term after this would've been too long - half terms are meant to be at least 5 weeks long, not 4 ir 8. So they messed everything up this year. Well, the fact that easter was early this year messed everything up.

It is! I love the hospital setting, much better than college. Haha, now that you're laughing about it, I'm laughing too. It was pretty funny in hindsight. Yeah they called me while I was in the coffee shop >.< which was annoying cuz it's a quiet place and I had to pick up oops (they called me twice in about half an hour and even left a voicemail) I ended up going later in the afternoon, but god, so many buses, much walking and many phonecalls. Ugh.

:yep: how did you know?! Most people jump straight to tea or coffee but I hate both >.< but the hot chocolate was so goooddddd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
This question, anybody?

Somebody please explain this to me :3 Answer is C
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
This question, anybody?

Somebody please explain this to me :3 Answer is C

It has a strong peak at 1725-1700 cm^-1 for a carboxylic acid C=O bond and a weak peak at 3300-2500 cm^-1 for a carboxylic O-H bond.

The functional group for a carboxylic acid is -COOH or a C=O and an O-H, therefore the answer is C
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
It has a strong peak at 1725-1700 cm^-1 for a carboxylic acid C=O bond and a weak peak at 3300-2500 cm^-1 for a carboxylic O-H bond

thank you so much for your response. How do you identify strong peaks? I'm sorry for my stupid questions but I'm really naive in this topic. My book didn't explain well, so please if you could :smile:
thank you so much for your response. How do you identify strong peaks? I'm sorry for my stupid questions but I'm really naive in this topic. My book didn't explain well, so please if you could :smile:

I'd assume it means there's no stutters in the peak so it would just be like a smooth wide U shape. In AQA we don't really classify it as weak or strong, because the main indication that they tell us to look for is that if there's a broad peak around 3600-3000 then that's an O-H bond.

Also a really important point! any peaks below 1500cm^-1 is called the fingerprint region, because this will identify the structure of your molecule. To identify your molecule for it you would look at the peaks on its spectrum and use known values to compare it so you can find out its specific structure
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
I'd assume it means there's no stutters in the peak so it would just be like a smooth wide U shape. In AQA we don't really classify it as weak or strong, because the main indication that they tell us to look for is that if there's a broad peak around 3600-3000 then that's an O-H bond.

Also a really important point! any peaks below 1500cm^-1 is called the fingerprint region, because this will identify the structure of your molecule. To identify your molecule for it you would look at the peaks on its spectrum and use known values to compare it so you can find out its specific structure

thank you so much, seems like I'm getting it :smile:
thank you so much, seems like I'm getting it :smile:

No worries, I'm assuming they'll give you a table of IR spectrum values in your exam and you just have to match it up with the absorption spectrum that they give you to identify which functional groups are present
Reply 2913
Helloo,

Well I've got a Biology test tomorrow so I'm going to spend most of today evening revising for that as I would v much like to ace it. - I'll start in the block at 5:00pm. Hope you all had a nice day. :smile:
Reply 2914
:work: 5:00pm. :work:
~Logging out time!~

Biology.
I'm going to be doing C4 maths, specifically questions which use partial fractions to simplify binomial expansion and integration, which I will then mark and do the partial fractions section test.
Reply 2916
So I spent that last hour working through a gene mutation booklet and re-answering questions then checking them against the correct answers. I'm going to continue with that in this block.
Reply 2917
:work: 7:00pm. :work:
~Logging out time!~

Biology.
I'll be finishing off a C4 paper I started earlier today for this block
Reply 2919
I have just finished working through the questions in the booklet, I'll continue with some more revision at 11:00pm. - Taking a break until then, I'll still try and memorise a few key stuff during that time though.

Latest

Trending

Trending