The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack354
Thanks, please may I ask how you know this?

I asked on the live chat Kings' had a couple of weeks ago and I was told that 'allocations are undertaken by a random, computerised ballot system'.

Hope this helps :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Jalouise
I asked on the live chat Kings' had a couple of weeks ago and I was told that 'allocations are undertaken by a random, computerised ballot system'.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot, seems very dodgy for us medics getting accommodation close to guys though :/
Original post by Jack354
Thanks a lot, seems very dodgy for us medics getting accommodation close to guys though :/

That was the old system? The old system was you would 'rank' I think 4 residences in order of preference, increasing the likelihood of many medics at Guys. This year they've made it 'room type' and 'maximum weekly rent' so the idea of a lot of medics being close to Guy's might change this year :/
Original post by tom_clancy
has anyone got in off the waiting list?

still waiting..
I have a question to everyone who firmed kings or planning to. What made you to firm kings and why ?
For me it is location and full body dissection .
I firmed Kings this morning, how long does it take to receive info to apply for accommodation?
Feel free to keep shooting me questions regarding KCL, accommodation or medicine (Which I used to study before switching) :smile:
Original post by MrDystopia
Feel free to keep shooting me questions regarding KCL, accommodation or medicine (Which I used to study before switching) :smile:

What did you switch medicine to ?
Why did you switch it ?
Besides Kings did you have any offers from other unis ?
Why did kings appeal to you more than others ?
What thing would you do differently if you were to start medical school all over again ?
Original post by anvar333
What did you switch medicine to ?
Why did you switch it ?
Besides Kings did you have any offers from other unis ?
Why did kings appeal to you more than others ?
What thing would you do differently if you were to start medical school all over again ?

After 2 years of medicine I switched to Biomed as that's where I tended to enjoy myself more (Research as opposed to actual medicine). Back when I applied (2012 entry) I also had an offer for medicine from UEA who were my insurance choice. As to why I picked KCL over UEA ultimately, having visited it I liked it more, especially the idea of a city university where you have the whole of London outside your campus to enjoy and discover.

If I were to re-enter medical school/apply for medicine again, I don't think I would've done much differently. I had my heart set on it, got work experience with pharmacies, shadowing surgeons, had a deep interest in the field, smashed my interviews and got in, so I can't imagine what I'd have done differently.
Does anyone know anything about the offer holders day on Wednesday? As in is there a program or anything?
Original post by AMNeeson
Does anyone know anything about the offer holders day on Wednesday? As in is there a program or anything?

Hi, I went to the offer holders day last month. I remember feeling pretty annoyed they didn't send a outline of the day. xD

You are told to get there are 12.00pm and you register if I remember correctly but the actual programme doesn't start until like 1.30pm/2pm this is because accommodation tours are roughly go on for about an hour and a half/two hours. So if you do get there at 12pm be prepared to do some waiting however that encourages you to get to know some people.

If you are considering an accommodation tour, they take you to Great Dover Street and you get to have a look at the en-suite room, kitchen and laundry room. This tour is given my a King's student so you'll be able to ask questions. The tours last about 15-20 minutes

The actual programme starts at about 1.30-2pm and you are given a talk by the key medical staff at King's about the Medicine programme and what King's as a medical school has to offer you. You are given a chance to ask questions at this stage. This is about 30 minutes long.

One of the best parts was when the President of the Medical Schools Association (MSA) talked about just the various things MSA can offer, student support, a range of activities etc. You are given a chance to ask questions at this stage. This is about 30 minutes long.

Then you are split into groups: GPEP, EMDP and the other students go to various rooms to learn about different things, almost like a fair I would say.

GPEP and EMDP students are given a quick talk about the structure of their programme and then are free to explore the medical school and go to various rooms to learn more about the medical school.

You are given a programme schedule which consists of different activities happening in different rooms.
For example: Lab Room 1: Talk to Medical Students
So from what I can remember there is:
Meet Medical Students
Meet Lecturers
Visit the CHANTLER SIMULATION & INTERACTIVE LEARNING CENTRE (where you can have a go at treating some fake patients)
Student Support: Ask about modern languages, disability support etc.

You are free to leave whenever you want after having the talks from the key staff and the MSA President.

This is what I had on my offer holders day, I imagine yours will be pretty similar.

Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I went to the offer holders day last month. I remember feeling pretty annoyed they didn't send a outline of the day. xD

You are told to get there are 12.00pm and you register if I remember correctly but the actual programme doesn't start until like 1.30pm/2pm this is because accommodation tours are roughly go on for about an hour and a half/two hours. So if you do get there at 12pm be prepared to do some waiting however that encourages you to get to know some people.

If you are considering an accommodation tour, they take you to Great Dover Street and you get to have a look at the en-suite room, kitchen and laundry room. This tour is given my a King's student so you'll be able to ask questions. The tours last about 15-20 minutes

The actual programme starts at about 1.30-2pm and you are given a talk by the key medical staff at King's about the Medicine programme and what King's as a medical school has to offer you. You are given a chance to ask questions at this stage. This is about 30 minutes long.

One of the best parts was when the President of the Medical Schools Association (MSA) talked about just the various things MSA can offer, student support, a range of activities etc. You are given a chance to ask questions at this stage. This is about 30 minutes long.

Then you are split into groups: GPEP, EMDP and the other students go to various rooms to learn about different things, almost like a fair I would say.

GPEP and EMDP students are given a quick talk about the structure of their programme and then are free to explore the medical school and go to various rooms to learn more about the medical school.

You are given a programme schedule which consists of different activities happening in different rooms.
Meet Medical Students
Meet Lecturers
Visit the CHANTLER SIMULATION & INTERACTIVE LEARNING CENTRE (where you can have a go at treating some fake patients)

You are free to leave whenever you want after having the talks from the key staff and the MSA President.

This is what I had on my offer holders day, I imagine yours will be pretty similar.

Thanks that's great! Did many people bring guests that you saw?
Original post by JBLondon
Thanks that's great! Did many people bring guests that you saw?

Welcome! Not a lot of people brought guests with them from what I remember. I'd say 20% of people bought guests.

Meet Medical Students
Meet Lecturers

Thank you so much! :smile:
Hi,

I've received and offer from King's to study medicine in Sept 2016 but am wondering if people (especially medical students) would recommend perhaps deferring and taking a gap year? I love the idea of getting a job, saving up some money and going travelling at the end of the year but is this a good idea? I guess I just want a bit of a break before the horrors start of medical school (ahh) and would also like to see the world and gain some more experience, but at the same time I guess I could just go travelling in the summers without actually taking a whole year out right?

I really don't know what to do
If I do defer I'm also afraid on missing out on all the experiences that my friends will be having in uni and freshers week and being older than everyone else next year... What do I do!

Thanks
Original post by confusedspecimen
Hi,

I've received and offer from King's to study medicine in Sept 2016 but am wondering if people (especially medical students) would recommend perhaps deferring and taking a gap year? I love the idea of getting a job, saving up some money and going travelling at the end of the year but is this a good idea? I guess I just want a bit of a break before the horrors start of medical school (ahh) and would also like to see the world and gain some more experience, but at the same time I guess I could just go travelling in the summers without actually taking a whole year out right?

I really don't know what to do
If I do defer I'm also afraid on missing out on all the experiences that my friends will be having in uni and freshers week and being older than everyone else next year... What do I do!

Thanks

Don't worry about the age thing, I'm going to be 30 when I start in September so you'll probably still be younger than me!
Original post by JBLondon
Don't worry about the age thing, I'm going to be 30 when I start in September so you'll probably still be younger than me!

Haha, yeah I guess that's not the worst of my worries. It's more the fear of wasting a year of my life potentially while all the rest of my school mates are already at uni, making new friends, going to freshers events and just living the uni life, while I'm spending my days handing out my CV to 100s of places begging for a job lol :frown:

I'I really don't know what to do

Thanks

Do what you feel is right for you. Your uni experience isn't one defined by your first year at all. Certainly each year you're free to join new sports, new societies and meet new people via various opportunities. And Freshers is every year! Not just for the year 1s :wink:

As for age, I was in my 2nd year when I lived out for the first time in student accommodation (Owing to already living in London so I commuted first year) and I can tell you the dynamic at uni is so different to school. No one cares in the slightest how old you are. I was naturally the oldest in my flat and it's really irrelevant. There's been times I've spoken to friends at uni, found our their age and thought 'Wow they're X years?'. Simply because it's not a big deal at all and no one is going to judge you for it.

If you defer a year, you won't miss out on the uni experience. It will just happen a year later is all. Utilise that year out (If you choose to take it) well so that you're comfortable when it comes to starting uni. As someone who switched from medicine to a different course, I can tell you with certainty that begin the course when you are ready.
(edited 7 years ago)
Haha, yeah I guess that's not the worst of my worries. It's more the fear of wasting a year of my life potentially while all the rest of my school mates are already at uni, making new friends, going to freshers events and just living the uni life, while I'm spending my days handing out my CV to 100s of places begging for a job lol :frown:

I'd say if you can afford to go this year, do it. I finished my access exams in May 2015 and I'm starting this September, but I would have gone straight there if I could have afforded to do so. Granted I didn't apply, so I didn't defer like you are thinking of, but either way I'd so go for it as early as possible.
Reply 2139
Is it Medicine A100 course at King's that your friend got through clearing last year? Is she international student or local student? Did she have interview late like in July when the clearing starts?

Latest