The Student Room Group

the most extravagant thing you have spent your student loan/grant on?

Hi, can anyone help me in some research? I could do with knowing the most expensive (non study related) item you have spent your maintanence grant/student loan on that is also not accommodation/food?
Some cheese
Reply 2
A top of the range, 17.3 '' laptop which I did not really need
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
A top of the range, 17.3 '' laptop which I did not really need

How did you afford the rest of the year? :rofl:
Reply 4
A pretty expensive pair of sneakers lol. Tbf it's not that expensive if you're middle class but ah well.
Nothing yet but planning to spend a majority of my last instalment on Block driving lessons. I don't know how extravagant that is lol
Reply 6
A 3.5 litre V8 engine...
Took the 1.8 litre 4 cylinder lump out of my MGB and dropped the big V8 in. :biggrin:
Original post by Rob133
Hi, can anyone help me in some research? I could do with knowing the most expensive (non study related) item you have spent your maintanence grant/student loan on that is also not accommodation/food?

mcdonalds
I would post if I could be anyonymous.
Reply 9
@sophicoco I'm mad responsible with mine init :cry2::cry2::cry2:
cashews
Original post by Rob133

My housemate spent/wasted his entire £1,500 loan the night he received it into his bank account on online gambling in his bedroom.

We all went to bed feeling rich that night, and when we woke up he had his head in his hands in his room, sat by his computer. He then had to take up a full time night job in a hotel to finish uni and ended up getting a 3rd. Bad times for Martin.
Reply 12
Original post by IAmNero
How did you afford the rest of the year? :rofl:

mum and dad
:tongue:
Original post by JC.
A 3.5 litre V8 engine...
Took the 1.8 litre 4 cylinder lump out of my MGB and dropped the big V8 in. :biggrin:

Hi. Random but I've looked at a lot of threads regarding driving/learning to drive and you've featured in pretty much all of them and you seem to know what you're talking about so I trust your opinion:biggrin:
I've researched inexpensive cars with low insurance prices and have narrowed it down to 3. Peugeot 206, Nissan micra and the Toyota Yaris. Which one would you recommend and which engine size?
Also, what is your opinion on intensive driving courses? I want to do one in the summer over the course of 4-5 weeks.
Apologies if you've had enough of answering these type of questions!
I spent £400 on a trip to rome in 1st year (but i only went on the one night out so i recon it balanced it out:P)
Welsh cakes. No regrets.
I had a giant bursary from Oxford and managed to save quite a bit of it. At the end of my degree, my sister finally passed her driving test and my dad borrowed £600 off me from my bursary savings in order to buy her her first car. He did give the money back a few months later, so maybe that doesn't count?

If that doesn't count, then it would almost certainly be concert tickets. The BBC Proms in particular (I tend to spend over £100 a year on tickets) but also I saw the Spice Girls at the O2 arena during my undergrad degree! :ahee: I forget how much that cost though... :ninja:
Driving lessons/test.

Quick Reply

Latest