The Student Room Group

What can I do about my possible diagnosis of depression?

After several weeks of counselling I've been to a GP's appointment and we've discussed options about a possible diagnosis of depression. However, this diagnosis will take several weeks to happen and almost certainly wont happen before exams and probably wont happen before results day.

If I am suffering with depression, I won't receive any assistance in exams without a diagnosis. With my ADD, I already receive extra time but I don't know what's available for people suffering with depression. I've also already sent off my student finance without any mention of depression. My parents don't know about my counselling or anything and for now I'd prefer to keep it that way.

One suggestion I've heard is to email the universities and ask for any assistance or advice they can provide to help with my financial situation or grades or whatever. I'm not sure about this because it sounds like I'm desperate for the grades, with no diagnosis I have no proof except if my doctor says something, which I don't think he can do without a diagnosis.

I just don't know what to do, because if I do have depression but don't receive any help it could mean I don't go to uni, but if I don't have depression and ask for assistance then I don't know what will happen.

Can anyone help?
Reply 1
Original post by BarBar124
After several weeks of counselling I've been to a GP's appointment and we've discussed options about a possible diagnosis of depression. However, this diagnosis will take several weeks to happen and almost certainly wont happen before exams and probably wont happen before results day.

If I am suffering with depression, I won't receive any assistance in exams without a diagnosis. With my ADD, I already receive extra time but I don't know what's available for people suffering with depression. I've also already sent off my student finance without any mention of depression. My parents don't know about my counselling or anything and for now I'd prefer to keep it that way.

One suggestion I've heard is to email the universities and ask for any assistance or advice they can provide to help with my financial situation or grades or whatever. I'm not sure about this because it sounds like I'm desperate for the grades, with no diagnosis I have no proof except if my doctor says something, which I don't think he can do without a diagnosis.

I just don't know what to do, because if I do have depression but don't receive any help it could mean I don't go to uni, but if I don't have depression and ask for assistance then I don't know what will happen.

Can anyone help?

I'm sorry, but it looks like you are just after all that you can get.

In regards to funding, you are a bit screwed, you won't get anything extra unless you can prove it has lasted more than a year or is expected to last more than a year.

The exam boards will not give you any extra help or credit, it makes no sense for them to give you help or credit, it gives you an unfair advantage.

and I don't see much honesty here because you say 'If I am suffering with depression', this gives me doubts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
"I'm sorry, but it looks like you are just after all that you can get."

I was afraid of it looking like that. I really didn't want to make it look like that but I do think I need help. I'm just in this weird limbo where I've got no evidence other than a few appointments but I do need help.

I know that in extraordinary situations (death of a relative, surgery, illness etc) exam boards can help out, but with no evidence I'm not going to ask. I just need advice from the universities themselves because I have no clue what to do in this situation, its just come at the worst possible time.
Reply 3
"I'm sorry, but it looks like you are just after all that you can get."

I was afraid of it looking like that. I really didn't want to make it look like that but I do think I need help. I'm just in this weird limbo where I've got no evidence other than a few appointments but I do need help.

I know that in extraordinary situations (death of a relative, surgery, illness etc) exam boards can help out, but with no evidence I'm not going to ask. I just need advice from the universities themselves because I have no clue what to do in this situation, its just come at the worst possible time.

I just had to point out how it looks to the exam board. And to student finance.

The maximum they will give is 5% extra and that is it. Sorry :frown:
Reply 4

Can anyone help?

How does depression stop you from going to uni?
Reply 5
I'm not particularly interested in receiving extra %, I just want to somehow get my situation across to the universities without it seeming like I'm scrounging. Advice, some assistance, at best maybe a "we'll bear that in mind if you don't meet your offer", I don't want to get an unfair advantage, I already receive extra time in an exam
Reply 6
Original post by BWV1007
How does depression stop you from going to uni?

its affecting my study and concentration and I really am struggling to cope. This is still if I even have it
Reply 7
its affecting my study and concentration and I really am struggling to cope. This is still if I even have it

I mean... depressive thoughts and behaviour should still be there whether or not you get diagnosed. It's not a label that you can use to get away with things because it is treatable (up to an extent). The point of getting a professional diagnosis is to be entitled to treatments, from anti-depressants to talking therapy (CBT, psychotherapy, etc), which can put your depression to remission.
Reply 8
I'm not particularly interested in receiving extra %, I just want to somehow get my situation across to the universities without it seeming like I'm scrounging. Advice, some assistance, at best maybe a "we'll bear that in mind if you don't meet your offer", I don't want to get an unfair advantage, I already receive extra time in an exam

You can tell the unis that you're under investigation, and explain that you have appointments etc. Since you know now that you might have problems you need to get this sorted now - if you wait until results day it will look like you're making an excuse for missing your offer.

You won't get extra money because that doesn't happen. You may be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance (dsa) but this will provide you with equipment that will help.
You need to speak to your student support staff. They won't judge you, they are student support staff for a reason. You need to speak to one ASAP before any exams etc.
Reply 10
Why does everyone think they are depressed these days?
Reply 11
Original post by Wammio
Why does everyone think they are depressed these days?

I used to be skeptical about that too. Then it happened to me and I'll tell you it's bloody awful
Reply 12
Original post by BWV1007
I mean... depressive thoughts and behaviour should still be there whether or not you get diagnosed. It's not a label that you can use to get away with things because it is treatable (up to an extent). The point of getting a professional diagnosis is to be entitled to treatments, from anti-depressants to talking therapy (CBT, psychotherapy, etc), which can put your depression to remission.

On the contrary, getting "a label" was really helpful with my ADD and allowed me to tackle it really well. The last thing I want is to make excuses but this is something I need to deal with now because I can't let it affect my exams

Quick Reply

Latest