The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Physics Empa 2016

Hey who else is doing the Empa? How have u found revising from pastpapers etc.
Original post by Squishy•
Hey who else is doing the Empa? How have u found revising from pastpapers etc.

I've got my resit for AS (unit 3) this monday just to boost my ums up a bit and this years unit 6 empa the monday after. For me, my revision for this is useless not going to lie. Section B tests you on random experiments you hope you understand when you see them in the paper.
Reply 2
Make sure you understand calculating errors and uncertainty and drawing tables and graphs correctly. Look through past papers to check the type of questions asked, there's usually some parts you can do without having done the practical, so give those a go.
It's only 20% of your AS and 10% of your A2, so don't worry too much.
Reply 3
Original post by TheBlip
Make sure you understand calculating errors and uncertainty and drawing tables and graphs correctly. Look through past papers to check the type of questions asked, there's usually some parts you can do without having done the practical, so give those a go.
It's only 20% of your AS and 10% of your A2, so don't worry too much.

10% for each is a lot when you do all six EMPAs! haha, I 've done my AS and A2 chemistry, still got physics and biology! any tips on how to revise for biology - Have no idea how to revise for this as the marking points are always different to what i write :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by TSRPR0
10% for each is a lot when you do all six EMPAs! haha, I 've done my AS and A2 chemistry, still got physics and biology! any tips on how to revise for biology - Have no idea how to revise for this as the marking points are always different to what i write :biggrin:

Unit 1, PHYA1 is 40% of your AS
Unit 2, PHYA2 is 40% of your AS
Unit 3, PHA3X (the entire AS EMPAs, so 3 of the exams) is 20%

Unit 4, PHYA4 is 20% of your A2
Unit 5 (choice unit) is 20% of your A2
Unit 6 PHA6X (the entire A2 EMPAs, so the other 3 exams) is 10% of your A2.

So all the EMPAs together are 30% of your A level.

I'm only doing physics, so no pointers on biology, but going over a lot of the previous papers, interpreting graphs is really important, make sure you understand how to manipulate them (such as changing them from a curve to a straight line, or getting a gradient). Also make sure you understand percentage reliability.
Other than that, make sure you have a broad understanding of the topics. And good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by TheBlip

So all the EMPAs together are 30% of your A level.

How is is 30% its 20%???
Reply 6
Original post by WurfWurf
How is is 30% its 20%???

You're right, my mistake, I just muddled up the way the AS goes into the A2.

Quick Reply

Latest