The Student Room Group

Best place to study (for Music/ OVERALL) 2016??

Hi all,

I'm planning to study Music at university and I've already received all 5 of my offers: Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Royal Holloway, and King's College London. I've had quite a while to decide already but I'm still struggling quite a bit to come to a final decision!

Can anyone be helpful enough to give me an insight, as a current student/alumnin, on what it's really, reaaaaaaaaaally like studying at these places? I've been doing research and comparing statistics etc. but I would really like to know what it actually feels like to be a student in any of these 5 unis.

p.s. I'm currently on a Gap Year and all 5 offers are unconditional which means I don't need to worry about getting the grades etc.

Thanks in advance for all advice!!
Original post by j2wu
Hi all,

I'm planning to study Music at university and I've already received all 5 of my offers: Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Royal Holloway, and King's College London. I've had quite a while to decide already but I'm still struggling quite a bit to come to a final decision!

Can anyone be helpful enough to give me an insight, as a current student/alumnin, on what it's really, reaaaaaaaaaally like studying at these places? I've been doing research and comparing statistics etc. but I would really like to know what it actually feels like to be a student in any of these 5 unis.

p.s. I'm currently on a Gap Year and all 5 offers are unconditional which means I don't need to worry about getting the grades etc.

I've moved this into the Performing arts and music where it is more likely to be answered by people who know their stuff :smile:

If noone responds soon then try reading and posting in any stickied or busy music threads to reach a wider audience.
Original post by j2wu
Hi all,

Hello!

Firstly WELL DONE on getting five unconditional offers, that's a great achievement! I'm studying at a conservatoire (Leeds College of Music) which is totally different to the university experience. With universities, you're in a mix with people on all sorts of different courses, whereas at a conservatoire, everyone around you studies music (albeit different styles).

Hope someone from one of your five choices is able to offer some insight! Good luck with your studies :smile:

Liam
Reply 3
Original post by j2wu
Hi all,

I think you have to consider where you would like to live for 3 years.

Durham - Small picturesque city in the north, good student life but not much else to do
Edinburgh - Scotland, picturesque city, decent nightlife but not as big as Glasgow or London
Bristol - Don't really know much about Bristol, i've heard it's got a big drug scene and it doesn't look like a very nice place to live, apart from the Uni which looks nice
Royal Holloway - Just outside London, nice looking place
King's - Directly in the centre of London but incredibly expensive

If you want somewhere busy then King's or Bristol, if not then Durham Edinburgh or Royal Holloway. Personally I would say go for any other than Royal Holloway as the others have a much better reputation.
Original post by j2wu
Hi all,

Hi
My daughter is also planning to study music and visited Durham,Royal Holloway and Bristol(also York,Oxford and Cambridge).She also picked out the other two you have offers from as their music courses were appealing but she did not fancy being in central London or the distance to Scotland from home.

The courses from your chosen 5 are fairly similar so it will be hard to choose and as you are on a gap year you have your grades so you don't need to consider having a lower offer option as back up which for many helps the decision making.

I am not sure there are many music students on student room from these Uni's but hopefully someone will respond that can give you more insight.
I wanted to add to the comments made regarding the places themselves.

Royal Holloway-Campus style feel as local area is limited in terms of facilities/shops/things going on.Good transport links and students seem to go out in London or Windsor.Music course has V.good reputation and facilities.One of the professors was at Cambridge previously.Not officially russell group but seen as a good Uni especially for those in the know about music.Main building pretty but not spending much time in it.

Durham-Overall V. good reputation generally. Music department quite large with good research going on. Slightly more traditional feel. Do you like your allocated accommodation? This was the clincher for my daughter not having this as one of her final choices.Students seem to go into Newcastle to shop/go out.

Bristol-V. good reputation overall and for music.Lots of industry connections and their appeared to be lots of research, composition and music making/recording going on.They have literally a temple to music and great facilities. Bristol itself has some very pretty parts and is quite vibrant. I am not sure any drug issues are any more prevalent than other university cities and a casual look around all the threads on other uni cities has discussions about less desirable areas. I picked up some comments about how Bristol is seen as Uni of choice for those who have been to private school with the percentage of students from that background as higher than Oxbridge! There is however a good mix from all background I believe.

I have found listing what's important to you (location,environment,cost of living,number of practice rooms,performance opportunities,recording facilities) then scoring these out of ten for each Uni to give you an score. The scores or your reaction to the score normally shows you which one's you actually prefer!

Good luck making your decision. I am sure you will have a fantastic time at any of your 5 choices.
KCL is by far the most reputable of those departments you've listed. It is worth considering the cost side of being at a London university though. Have you actually visited any of the unis you've listed? Coz as airy fairy as it sounds, sometimes just by attending an applicants' open day, you can get a vibe off a department/a uni and that can be crucial in deciding. Like when I visited KCL, I personally felt uncomfortable there. That's not to say it's a bad department or that people aren't/can't be happy there though, it's a very individual thing.

When I was looking at undergraduate institutions, my understanding was that at Bristol, there was a heavy focus on composition and not the pastiche/tonal type. I have no interest in that, so I did not apply. That may have changed by now though...

I'm currently a PhD student at Royal Holloway. Whilst I can't speak very much at all about the undergraduate experience, I can vouch for it being one of the top Music departments in the country and that there is quite a good breadth of undergraduate modules. It's got a very good atmosphere and there's an interesting variety of ensembles to join (Balkan ensemble and gamelan ensemble, as well as the more traditional Western art music ones). They have five ethnomusicologists, which was appealing to me when looking at postgrad level, but perhaps less interesting for a prospective undergraduate. Their chapel choir is not quite up there with the Oxbridge ones but is not that far behind, from my understanding :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Their chapel choir is not quite up there with the Oxbridge ones but is not that far behind, from my understanding :yes:

On chapel choirs, how forgiving are Oxbridge to students who are interested, keen, inexperienced and tone deaf?
Original post by Mathstatician
On chapel choirs, how forgiving are Oxbridge to students who are interested, keen, inexperienced and tone deaf?

Well if you're tone deaf then obviously you're not going to get into an auditioning choir! :tongue:

You don't need to necessarily have had proper choral training or prior experience of being in a chapel choir, though. You need to be a good singer and a reasonable sight-singer/sightreader, and pass the audition :yes:
Well if you're tone deaf then obviously you're not going to get into an auditioning choir! :tongue:

You don't need to necessarily have had proper choral training or prior experience of being in a chapel choir, though. You need to be a good singer and a reasonable sight-singer/sightreader, and pass the audition :yes:

Haha. Got it!

My real question is: Are there more casual groups, or is the thought of having Sandpeople-Esque sounds coming from the chapel absolutely not acceptable? I understand sports and other activities are slightly more forgiving in that there is room for the uncoordinated sportsman, etc. But it seems as though the music scene has standards :lol:
Original post by Mathstatician
Haha. Got it!

My real question is: Are there more casual groups, or is the thought of having Sandpeople-Esque sounds coming from the chapel absolutely not acceptable? I understand sports and other activities are slightly more forgiving in that there is room for the uncoordinated sportsman, etc. But it seems as though the music scene has standards :lol:

If you're asking about Oxbridge specifically, everything there works on two levels: uni-wide, but also at college level. Most college ensembles (chapel choirs aside) are non-auditioning and are more informal and accessible at many different levels. They may do a concert in the chapel but would probably not usually rehearse or sing/play in there.

Most uni-wide music ensembles (though not all) are auditioning. So you have to be of a certain standard/level of proficiency to get past the audition stage. Or (in my case), have a friend in a position of power who can sneak you in :ahee:
If you're asking about Oxbridge specifically, everything there works on two levels: uni-wide, but also at college level. Most college ensembles (chapel choirs aside) are non-auditioning and are more informal and accessible at many different levels. They may do a concert in the chapel but would probably not usually rehearse or sing/play in there.

Most uni-wide music ensembles (though not all) are auditioning. So you have to be of a certain standard/level of proficiency to get past the audition stage. Or (in my case), have a friend in a position of power who can sneak you in :ahee:

I'm unable to rep you again but perhaps thats a good thing; Nobody ever does this properly anymore:

Thank you very much. I'm now much more excited about my chances, even if the call to sing ends up being more like a primate's call to a mate. It looks fun. And I regret not having tried before so why not eh? :biggrin:

Hope you have a great evening!
@The_Lonely_Goatherd

Also, shot in the dark but do you know who this gorgeous soprano soloist is?

[video="youtube;IA88AS6Wy_4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA88AS6Wy_4[/video]

Edit: Man, every time. Goosebumps. How..?
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha afraid not.

If you have any more questions, you shoudl probably PM me so that we don't derail the thread too much :P
That video should be bannered on every thread for the rest of time. I regret nothing! :ahee:

But okay :getmecoat:I appreciate all your answers! :tongue: Apologies, OP. Please listen to that posted video if you are at all upset with my derailing and you shall soon find peace again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending