The Student Room Group

Journey to proving ALL my teachers wrong - GCSE - Year 11

So heya guys....
After my second report in which my predicted grades have decreased, I have decided to work even harder than I usually do to try and prove all my teachers who have said I can't get an A* wrong.
These are my targets. The first letter is my actual predicted grade, the second is the target I've set myself.

Maths - A*/A* (My teacher said in December that she didn't think I'd be able to get an A* but somehow my predicted grade is still an A*)
English Lang - A/A*
English Lit - unknown/A (My teacher was being very confusing about my predicted grade but I think it's a B)
Physics - A/A* (If I don't get an A* I will cry because I love physics. And my teacher gave almost everyone in my class an A....)
Chemistry - A/A* (Been getting straight A*s this year in Chemistry - teacher gave all the class an A as a predicted grade)
Biology - A/A (My grades have been very inconsistent this year. I would LOVE an A*, but I feel it's unlikely)
French - B/B (woo!)
Drama - B/A
Geography -A/A* (My last geography teacher mucked up my classes controlled assessments so all our predicted grades decreased)
RS - A/A*
FSMQ Additional Maths - Unknown/A
Actual predictions: 1A*, 6A*s, 3Bs
My Targets: 6A*s, 2As, 2Bs + A FSMQ

I don't want to go to Oxbridge so my "low grades" wouldn't affect that.
I want to study Physics at uni or maybe some time of engineering.

And my mocks are on Monday :0 - I'm freaking out so much!!

I wake up between 8:30-9:30, shower, chill for 30 minutes and then start revision. I revise for 2 hours, eat lunch, revise for 3.5-4 hours, take a break, 1 hour, then I have supper and chill.
I suffer from mild insomnia so if I can't fall asleep, I work from 10:00 till 11:30-12:00
I try and do at least 6.5 hours of revision a day

What I did yesterday: 2 Geography units, Maths, Additional Maths, more Geography
What I've done/plan on doing today: Drama, Maths, Geography, English, Chemistry

So yeah....
This will basically be a "blog", updating on how all my work is going and what my grades are....

Scroll to see replies

Good luck! And 6.5 hours?! Makes me feel bad :tongue:
your title makes me really happy, good luck :h:
Original post by Black Rose
Good luck! And 6.5 hours?! Makes me feel bad :tongue:

How many do you do?

Original post by defenestrated
your title makes me really happy, good luck :h:

haha thanks :smile:
Reply 4
We have the same goals!! You'll definitely prove your teachers wrong, I know you will 😊. Good luck!
Original post by kennethdcharles
We have the same goals!! You'll definitely prove your teachers wrong, I know you will 😊. Good luck!

Nice to know someone has so much faith in me :smile:.

Spoiler

Same with you!
I was doing some chemistry revision and found on my in school account 170 pages (1 document) of Chemistry past questions and I'm trying to decide whether I should print it or not and if I print it, where on earth am I going to print it from?!
Mock results back!!

I'm pretty pleased with them over all:

I'll write the subject, then the grade I got and then in () my predicted grade

Maths - A* (A*)
English Literature - A (C)
English Language - A* (A)
Biology - A* (A)
Chemistry - A (A)
Physics - A* (A)
Drama - B (B)
French - A (B)
Geography - A* (A)
Religious Studies - A* (A)

So overall I got 6A*s, 3As and 1 B and my predicted grades are 1A*, 6As, 2Bs and a C (which I actually think is a B - but I got incredibly confused by my teacher)

So with the exception of Chemistry (And French Listening) I'm happy with my overall marks and I know I'll get (at least) 2Bs for my real GCSEs, but I'm still happy.
(And I only did 6.5 hours of revision for like 2 days and then slept the rest of half-term)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Mock results back!!

I'm pretty pleased with them over all:

I'll write the subject, then the grade I got and then in () my predicted grade

Maths - A* (A*)
English Literature - A (C)
English Language - A* (C)
Biology - A* (A)
Chemistry - A (A)
Physics - A* (A)
Drama - B (B)
French - A (B)
Geography - A* (A)
Religious Studies - A* (A)

So overall I got 6A*s, 3As and 1 B and my predicted grades are 1A*, 6As, 2Bs and a C (which I actually think is a B - but I got incredibly confused by my teacher)

So with the exception of Chemistry (And French Listening) I'm happy with my overall marks and I know I'll get (at least) 2Bs for my real GCSEs, but I'm still happy.
(And I only did 6.5 hours of revision for like 2 days and then slept the rest of half-term)

Why are your predicted grades so much lower than your mock grades? Especially in English. O.O
Original post by Hydeman
Why are your predicted grades so much lower than your mock grades? Especially in English. O.O

My teachers don't have much faith in me..... :0
I've been getting straight Cs in English Language (with 1 B) and then I revised all my key terms and used them to boost my grade. But I got an A* in one of my lit exams, and I didn't use any technical terms (and they lost one of my papers :angry:)

I'm not one of the top students in my year. I guess I'm nearish the top - but I'm not going to come away with straight A*s, and my teachers know that (I actually would have a chance had a taken a different language and something like food-tech).
I'm just pretty average in all my classes and so my teachers just put me down for As instead of A*s

And my English teacher hates me.
I'm not on study-leave till technically tomorrow, but actually this coming Tuesday (in 6 days time).
I'm not really getting much work done - I do a subject or two each night because I'm getting home quite late because of rehearsals and revision periods.

I've changed my personal target grades - which will be shown down below. The bracketed grades are my actual predicted grades - which will be changing very soon.

Maths - A* (A*)
English Lit - A(A) - It got moved back up!!
English Lang - A*(A)
Biology - A*(A)
Chemistry - A* (A)
Physics - A*(A)
RS - A*(A) - (but will probably be increased)
Geography - A*(A)
French - B(B)
Drama - A/B (B)
So that means that overall I want 7A*S, 1A and 2Bs (well one that I would like an A, but don't think I will get).

Last night I did a Chem paper (AQA IGCSE) and I got 84% - I thought I would have done much worse - But I didn't!
I'm getting back a practice Drama question today, so we'll see how I did..

Have an awesome day!
Aw I love your determination - you'll definitely prove them wrong!
I also have a study blog thing, feel free to check it out if you want: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617
Good luck with your revision, and well done on your amazing mock results! :biggrin:
It sounds like you're doing great! I think the structure of your revision day is really going to help you. It's good that you are allowing yourself breaks and giving yourself a great study plan. Good luck with those GCSE's! :congrats:
Today was meant to be my fist day of study leave.

I woke up at 9:45, showered and dressed straight away, and got to work on a Physics practice paper.

At 11:20, I get a call from my mum saying that my Geography teacher can't find most of my controlled assessment work.
When we come into school for study leave, we have to wear uniform but we're allowed to wear our leaver's hoodie.
So I put my hoodie over my top and my school skirt over my skirt, abandoned my paper and got the train to school.

12:20, I arrive in school.

My Controlled Assessment work was where it had been ALL along.
I don't even know where she got the work she thought she had from (probably the bin...)
Then she told me to edit some bits, so I finished that off, left school at 1:15 (school closed early because it's the last day of term), got a sandwich, and got the train home.
I finished the Physics paper and got an A* - which I was surprised about because I missed out/made up a lot.
65.5% was an A*, so.....

I'm going to do another paper - probably Biology in a couple of minutes and at 5:45 I'm getting Pizza with friends.

I woke up at 9:45, showered and dressed straight away, and got to work on a Physics practice paper.

At 11:20, I get a call from my mum saying that my Geography teacher can't find most of my controlled assessment work.
When we come into school for study leave, we have to wear uniform but we're allowed to wear our leaver's hoodie.
So I put my hoodie over my top and my school skirt over my skirt, abandoned my paper and got the train to school.

I don't even know where she got the work she thought she had from (probably the bin...)
Then she told me to edit some bits, so I finished that off, left school at 1:15 (school closed early because it's the last day of term), got a sandwich, and got the train home.
I finished the Physics paper and got an A* - which I was surprised about because I missed out/made up a lot.
65.5% was an A*, so.....

I'm going to do another paper - probably Biology in a couple of minutes and at 5:45 I'm getting Pizza with friends.

Wow how early is your study leave? I thought we had ours early (we officially leave on May 13th!) And last day of term? We only went back yesterday after Easter!
That must be so annoying with geography, I had to go in and do mine last week, the second day should have only taken an hour but I was there 11-3:30 :angry:
Congrats on the A* though, and enjoy the pizza! :tongue:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Wow how early is your study leave? I thought we had ours early (we officially leave on May 13th!) And last day of term? We only went back yesterday after Easter!
That must be so annoying with geography, I had to go in and do mine last week, the second day should have only taken an hour but I was there 11-3:30 :angry:
Congrats on the A* though, and enjoy the pizza! :tongue:

We didn't have Easter break - we had a "long weekend" for Easter..
I go to a Jewish school so Passover starts this Friday and so the School broke up today but we were given 1 extra day (and we went to Thorpe Park yesterday - we haven't really had proper school since last Wednesday). We only really have 1.5 weeks of study leave because school actually starts 6th May (I think) and our first exam is 16th May.

When's your first exam?
I stayed on Friday to do Geography but I only spent an hour or so on it.
What board do you do?
I got an A* on the second paper (Biology Paper 1) I did.
The grade boundaries were also quite low - but I was happier with the percentage for this grade than the Physics paper.

Just a list of my exam boards/exams:

Maths - Edexcel IGSE - we take the H papers (e.g. 3H and 4H rather than 3HR and 4HR or whatever the other papers are).
English Lit+Lang - OCR
Bio, Chem, Phys - AQA IGCSE (I take Triple rather than Double Award)
RS - OCR Philosophy and Ethics
Drama - AQA
Geog - AQA A
French - Edexcel
Add Maths - OCR (I think...)

65.5% was an A*, so.....

I would seriously rage if that happened to me
We didn't have Easter break - we had a "long weekend" for Easter..
I go to a Jewish school so Passover starts this Friday and so the School broke up today but we were given 1 extra day (and we went to Thorpe Park yesterday - we haven't really had proper school since last Wednesday). We only really have 1.5 weeks of study leave because school actually starts 6th May (I think) and our first exam is 16th May.

When's your first exam?
I stayed on Friday to do Geography but I only spent an hour or so on it.
What board do you do?

Oh right that makes sense, we also had the long weekend for Easter and then 4 days of school then 2 weeks off. My first exam is also on May 16th (3 days after stand down).
I do AQA (A) for geography, but it's by far my least favourite subject.
Original post by richpanda
I would seriously rage if that happened to me

I raged internally - but I love my teacher so I tried not to show it.

Original post by NiamhM1801
Oh right that makes sense, we also had the long weekend for Easter and then 4 days of school then 2 weeks off. My first exam is also on May 16th (3 days after stand down).
I do AQA (A) for geography, but it's by far my least favourite subject.

What's your first exam?

I just hate having to revise all the case studies - there are too many for each topic.
I raged internally - but I love my teacher so I tried not to show it.

What's your first exam?

I just hate having to revise all the case studies - there are too many for each topic.

My first exam is religious studies unit 1 (edexcel), and tell me about it - there's just too many and I really haven't left myself much time at all...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending