The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LThomas694
Yeah I'm not really sure he knows what he's doing because he's only just started teaching edexcel bio, I might email him and see if I can get a bit more feedback and see my actual scores. The markschemes are so vague so I'm just looking for exemplars and examiner reports to see if there's more detail. That's the bit I'm finding hardest because I'm not actually interested in my topic and I'm struggling to see how it's relevant but I think I'll just write more about their ecological role and the impact of river management on velocity and how that could affect flatworm abundance?

Aah, seems like I'm the only person who enjoyed the project and did something worthwhile 😪😪 ask your teacher for feedback again and give an amended copy. Remember that you're marked down for including irrelevant material however. You don't want to gain marks in one place and lose them in another

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, does anyone have any resources or websites that were helpful when writing the A2 coursework? My teachers have only just told me that my coursework's been moderated down so I won't be able to get into uni with my current grade and I've only got 4 days to fix it.. Any help would be much appreciated!
Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you/your teacher know the moderated result already? Edexcel have only just asked sixth forms for submission of the investigation for marking end of next week?
Original post by PsychoD
Aah, seems like I'm the only person who enjoyed the project and did something worthwhile 😪😪 ask your teacher for feedback again and give an amended copy. Remember that you're marked down for including irrelevant material however. You don't want to gain marks in one place and lose them in another

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahah yeah I feel like you're in the minority there! I liked the issue report last year but I'm really not interested in ecology and we weren't allowed to do a lab based practical so I knew I was screwed from the start..
Yeah that's a good idea, I'll email him stuff and see what he thinks. That's a good point, I asked him if I should cut anything out and he said that wasn't necessary but there's some stuff I really don't think is relevant so I think I'll cut that out, it's not worth the risk of dropping marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB
How do you/your teacher know the moderated result already? Edexcel have only just asked sixth forms for submission of the investigation for marking end of next week?

It's only moderated between the teachers at my school not external moderators. My teacher is new so he marked mine too high and it went down a grade when the head of bio checked it

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's only moderated between the teachers at my school not external moderators. My teacher is new so he marked mine too high and it went down a grade when the head of bio checked it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see haha, ours got checked throughout the process, thanks for replying!
Ahah yeah I feel like you're in the minority there! I liked the issue report last year but I'm really not interested in ecology and we weren't allowed to do a lab based practical so I knew I was screwed from the start..
Yeah that's a good idea, I'll email him stuff and see what he thinks. That's a good point, I asked him if I should cut anything out and he said that wasn't necessary but there's some stuff I really don't think is relevant so I think I'll cut that out, it's not worth the risk of dropping marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You weren't allowed to do a lab practical? That really sucks.if I had to do ecology I would have just made up the results and never done it 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsychoD
You weren't allowed to do a lab practical? That really sucks.if I had to do ecology I would have just made up the results and never done it 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently if our investigations were too similar we would all fail our coursework and there were too many of us to all do different lab practicals so we had to go on a field trip and do ecology? Even then all of the good projects got taken really quick so people were stuck with crap ones like I had to do flatworms, and everyone was really stressed and hating ecology so it was a bit of a nightmare ahaha
Apparently if our investigations were too similar we would all fail our coursework and there were too many of us to all do different lab practicals so we had to go on a field trip and do ecology? Even then all of the good projects got taken really quick so people were stuck with crap ones like I had to do flatworms, and everyone was really stressed and hating ecology so it was a bit of a nightmare ahaha

Aah I see, my school had a similar policy which is why I just made my own unique experiment. Doing an experiment on something you want to do made it exciting for me tbh and the school was happy to pay for external apparatus use. If your cw is just below the a* you can always compensate in exams anyway 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Original post by A-LJLB
The paper is synoptic. Cancer was covered in AS, therefore could come up, and it is mentioned in the article so may do.

please remind me what topic. im pretty confused i dont think i everl earnt about cancer
Original post by ranz
please remind me what topic. im pretty confused i dont think i everl earnt about cancer

I believe it was topic 4, it wasn't covered in too much detail but information such as oncogenes were covered
Original post by PsychoD
Aah I see, my school had a similar policy which is why I just made my own unique experiment. Doing an experiment on something you want to do made it exciting for me tbh and the school was happy to pay for external apparatus use. If your cw is just below the a* you can always compensate in exams anyway 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so nice of them! I spoke to my bio teacher today and he was absolutely useless but he's given me an extension till Monday and I think I can probably work out what I need to do myself using the mark scheme and examiner reports from the exam board

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know what the deadline is for unit 6 coursework if we are getting them marked externally? :smile:
Original post by genevievelaw
Anyone know what the deadline is for unit 6 coursework if we are getting them marked externally? :smile:

The exam board asked our college to send them all by next Wednesday.
Reply 173
Original post by genevievelaw

Not sure - our college is sending them off in 2 weeks.
Original post by Neuth
Not sure - our college is sending them off in 2 weeks.

The deadline for the exam board is the 15th of May, but our College gets them in earlier as the exams dept have to check them before they send them off.I will be very, very happy when mine goes!
Reply 175
Original post by Zoologist
The deadline for the exam board is the 15th of May, but our College gets them in earlier as the exams dept have to check them before they send them off.I will be very, very happy when mine goes!

Yeah, me too - I'm far too fed up with my investigation but can't help making little changes... I'll be very pleased when I never have to see it again :redface:
Hi guys I was wondering, if i get Cs in both my As and a2 coursework, would i still be able to get an A overall? thanks
Original post by sumayaplease
Hi guys I was wondering, if i get Cs in both my As and a2 coursework, would i still be able to get an A overall? thanks

Yes.
Hi guys, quick question... are the DNA fragments produced before PCR by restriction enzymes? Because there's mention of fragments both in gel electrophoresis and before that so it's really unclear to me.
Original post by mechanism
Hi guys, quick question... are the DNA fragments produced before PCR by restriction enzymes? Because there's mention of fragments both in gel electrophoresis and before that so it's really unclear to me.

Yeah they're produced before PCR. The whole point of PCR is to make loads of genes from a tiny DNA Sample e.g. a speck of blood at a crime scene.
Also the sample of DNA is collected then cut up using restriction enzymes before gel electrophoresis takes place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending