The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Anyone studying Audiology at Aston?

I want to know how its assessed- did you have to do presentations ect?
Reply 1
first year
clinical assessment - practical
placements - from November/ December - Jan- Feb these are spread across these months
2 exams jan - multiple choice and short answer questions(SAQ)
2 exam june - physics +maths - multiple choice , healthcare - short answer questions
throughout the year there are :
group tasks- presentation about 2/ 3 these are assessed
and there are 2/3 coursework
also online task
also a mock interview practice- for placements for year 2
that is pretty much first year summarised
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
hope that helps

if you do want to do audiology make sure you have some cash spare as you will be needing it to buy practical equiptment around £200
also you will need accommodation and travel money for placement and placements are all over the country from scotland to plymouth and are cant be changed with anyone for this i would say you would need about £500-£600 but this is reimbursed luckliy
Reply 3
Original post by monkey1
hope that helps

if you do want to do audiology make sure you have some cash spare as you will be needing it to buy practical equiptment around £200
also you will need accommodation and travel money for placement and placements are all over the country from scotland to plymouth and are cant be changed with anyone for this i would say you would need about £500-£600 but this is reimbursed luckliy

What practical equipment did you have to buy?
Reply 4
so what they they have done is put equiptment in a bundle for you
as far as i know - as i have not bought the equipment my self
there is and otoscope with speculi , empression material, and ear to practice empressions on an otoprobe , otostops
that all i can rememeber at the top of my head

this year for enrolment on to the course it has been made complusory to buy
Reply 5
Original post by monkey1
there is and otoscope with speculi , empression material, and ear to practice empressions on an otoprobe , otostops

OK, interesting. I'm at Southampton and we didn't have to buy these. I guess we'll all need an otoscope eventually and hopefully they can get you a good deal on decent equipment.
Original post by monkey1

Hi!
How do you find Audiology at aston?
What are your most favourite and least favourite parts and do you enjoy/recommend thus course?
Reply 7
how do you find studying at southhampton how does your placements work
Reply 8
Original post by honeylooloo
Hi!
How do you find Audiology at aston?
What are your most favourite and least favourite parts and do you enjoy/recommend thus course?

yeah its good, sometimes the coursework is not nice sometimes , practical is good fun
placements not good becuase of how far you have to travel but when you get there you will like them
Original post by monkey1
yeah its good, sometimes the coursework is not nice sometimes , practical is good fun
placements not good becuase of how far you have to travel but when you get there you will like them

You've said the coursework is unpleasant. Is it difficult or are the resources (notes/books) you have unuseful?
Reply 10
Original post by monkey1
how do you find studying at southhampton how does your placements work

I'm really enjoying it. Placements for us are 3 x 2-week taster placements in year one in Jan, Apr and May. The main placements are in the summer between years 2 & 3, and then the last semester of year 3. There are about 20 placement centres for the main placements, mostly in England, but also Ireland and Jersey. You can express preferences of where you go.
Original post by monkey1

do you take the equipment home or keep at the uni?
is there anyone out there that has gone from radiography to audiology? i'm possibly considering doing the same... applied for radiography and have a space but considering audiology too because it seems more rewarding . does anyone know anyone at aston that has experience with this....
Reply 13
no there yours so you keep them with yourself
Reply 14
Original post by Alevels112288
is there anyone out there that has gone from radiography to audiology? i'm possibly considering doing the same... applied for radiography and have a space but considering audiology too because it seems more rewarding . does anyone know anyone at aston that has experience with this....

yeah
Reply 15
Original post by monkey1
first year
clinical assessment - practical
placements - from November/ December - Jan- Feb these are spread across these months
2 exams jan - multiple choice and short answer questions(SAQ)
2 exam june - physics +maths - multiple choice , healthcare - short answer questions
throughout the year there are :
group tasks- presentation about 2/ 3 these are assessed
and there are 2/3 coursework
also online task
also a mock interview practice- for placements for year 2
that is pretty much first year summarised

Hi,you say there are 2 exams in June. One in Physics and another in Maths. How difficult is the Physics and Maths they teach. I have no background in anything Maths-related. Will I be at a disadvantage?
Do you still get Christmas holidays?
Original post by monkey1

How long are placements for as in 9-5 everyday, including weekends and If you are sick for a few days are you able to miss placement?
Original post by Haykish6
How long are placements for as in 9-5 everyday, including weekends and If you are sick for a few days are you able to miss placement?

Could you give me any advice on the interview you got for audiology

Quick Reply

Latest