The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Theres many of us muslims who have exams (I have my A2 exams) during Ramadan. My question is will you fast?

I myself will miss out a fast on the day of an exam and I worked out I will only miss 5 which isn't too bad as I can make them up after. However I was considering fasting even on exam days because I feel as if Allah will give me the strength to pull through but then I thought Allah doesn't want to make things hard for us and obviously Ramadan is to strengthen your personal relationship with Allah so missing 5 fasts won't be too bad considering I have good intentions, and these exams are make or break so messing it up isn't an option as it will affect the rest of my life.

So will you or will you not fast, either on exam days or the entire exam period, I was just curious to see what others are doing.

Scroll to see replies

I have my GCSEs this year and I will be fasting. I guess we will get the strength that we need from Allah but then it depends on everyone individually.

Good luck with your A2 exams
Ofc I'll fast!! I mean who would want to waste that opportunity to make dua [for their exams] while fasting :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
i am 100% gonna fast bc not breaking the 4 yr streak i have of keepin every fast

(also obvs for reasons mentioned above, more strength hopefully)
I mean I guess it's not so dire if you miss a day if you genuinely feel as if you won't perform well if you are fasting. Personally I will be fasting because I honestly will feel the same whether I am fasting or not. I don't find fasting as hard as others do Alhamdullilah.
Good luck everyone.
I've decided to fast, but after my first exam, if I feel like fasting has severely affected my performance and concentration, I won't fast for the rest of my exams and keep them later
Yuppppp
I will be definitely fasting. Because If I don't then get crap grades, I would think its god punishment LOL
Reply 8
Original post by IGCSEKid
I will be definitely fasting. Because If I don't then get crap grades, I would think its god punishment LOL

LOOOOOOOL THIS IS SO TRUe

Yeah... I agree
Reply 10
Exams is not a valid reason to miss fasting.
Remember these fasts are obligatory and it's not the same if you make them up.
You're not going to see a dramatic change in performance while fasting and sitting an exam.
I'll also be fasting. I was considering not fasting but then my parents were like Allah will help you, he'll give you strength especially during Ramadan. I was quite worried that I wouldn't be able to concentrate, feel tired etc and my dad advised me to start training myself, so every week keep a few fasts so my body becomes used to it. Once Ramadan comes then it won't be such a big change to my body. And if i didn't fast and I end up getting bad grades I'll put it down as punishment LOL
Original post by Roofas
The way in which you people will starve your brains and bodies of nutrients to appease some oppressive ideology is fundamentally wrong. No one should risk their grades for such nonsense, let alone their health.

(inb4 fasting is healthy - yes cutting down on McDonalds and other fattening foods is obviously going to be helpful. No one should need a fairy story telling them when they can and can't eat though.)

No wonder there are so many Muslim looneys in the Middle East. They're all dehydrated and banned from drinking even water at obscene hours. Can't be healthy for your brain.

GTFO this thread with your bigoted views BRO. Fasting actually has many benefits.
Reply 13
GTFO this thread with your bigoted views BRO. Fasting actually has many benefits.

Bigot, definition "a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

Take another look at what you just wrote out and have a think to yourself.
I'm DEFINITELY fasting maynn!!

Need all the blessings I can get :yep:
Original post by Axel Johann
I'm DEFINITELY fasting maynn!!

Need all the blessings I can get :yep:

Exactly my reason! :biggrin:
Original post by Roofas
Bigot, definition "a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

Take another look at what you just wrote out and have a think to yourself.

I have, and you fit perfectly into the definition as a bigot.
Reply 17
Original post by Roofas
The way in which you people will starve your brains and bodies of nutrients to appease some oppressive ideology is fundamentally wrong. No one should risk their grades for such nonsense, let alone their health.

(inb4 fasting is healthy - yes cutting down on McDonalds and other fattening foods is obviously going to be helpful. No one should need a fairy story telling them when they can and can't eat though.)

No wonder there are so many Muslim looneys in the Middle East. They're all dehydrated and banned from drinking even water at obscene hours. Can't be healthy for your brain.

This thread was specifically for muslims, your opinion is unwanted right now, maybe they'll be useful in another thread. If people want to fast then what has it got to do with you? Grades are not the be all or end all, I personally like to think of the bigger picture.
Reply 18
I have, and you fit perfectly into the definition as a bigot.

I agree with you
Original post by HAnwar
Exams is not a valid reason to miss fasting.
Remember these fasts are obligatory and it's not the same if you make them up.
You're not going to see a dramatic change in performance while fasting and sitting an exam.

I myself am planning to fast. But I think they could be a valid reason. The "dramatic change in performance" really depends on the setting. Best to look it up with a scholar. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest