The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by AperfectBalance
Make another thread, Not that I care you are here, just so we can hopefully have a lovely debate about this

There was another thread about this a couple of months ago, where basically everybody that didn't say "fasting is great during exams" got reported by the Shariah brigade.

I mean, it is obvious that Allah will help those who fast by giving them some extra strength to compensate the lack of nutrition. It's biology m8.
Original post by Roofas
Well we'll leave the terrorism side out of the equation but there are still death penalties across the World's Islamic Republics like Pakistan for minor crimes and it really is terrible. In Saudi Arabia you can be beheaded for Adultery, Apostasy, Blasphemy and Homosexuality and it cannot be defended, this unfortunate custom in Islamic countries.

These alerts are coming quite quickly you must understand, I don't wish to offend you but your comments have been the least pressing/relevant/constructive thus far.

I'm certainly not attempting to do this and I'm not 'brainwashed in any sense.

You're other posts are just saying your opinion of fasting, I can't really comment on that. What am I supposed to say to "Maybe you should try fasting this year too, maybe you'll lose some of that arrogance and hatred within you."?

@Axel Johann I certainly appreciate your comments. It certainly is very decent of you, considering these are issues undoubtedly close to your heart.

I would like to reiterate that I haven't gone out of my way to individually offend anyone as such. I really have only been expressing my personal views upon the subject which is something I feel I have the right to do.

Fair enough. You have the right, but you have to understand that we found some of your comments disrespectful and I would just like to point out that those punishments you have mentioned in 'Islamic' countries are NOT Islamic in any way.
Reply 102
Original post by HAnwar
I have never heard that from any scholar.
Even if it was to worsen things like exams, job interviews etc. these are all worldly things and we should be placing our deen before the dunya.

You can have a heavy suhur meal which can make up for breakfast.

But I thought the whole point of Islam was to make it flexible for your lifestyle, within reason of course. Surely Allah wouldn't want us to fast if it meant we could potentially be sacrificing our grades and thus to achieve in life?

Also, I can't xD For some reason no matter how much I try to stuff myself, get so hungry and weak in the morning. Probably cos my mental state is piss poor
yup, i'll be fasting

im too excited for ramadan tbh

taraweeh in da mosqueeeeeeee :smile:
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
Yes, sorry my post wasn't very clear.

It is compulsory to fast during Ramadan, unless one is ill, yes.
I was trying to argue that fasting isn't forced on a person. If they are ill, then that would be self harm, which is actually a sin.
Hence, if you are ill to an extent where it will harm you then you shouldn't fast.

I hope that is clearer.

Yes, thanks :smile:

Original post by safiyyah98
So school is compulsory right? But we have a choice whether we go or not. Our parents may encourage and want us to attend but we could easily pretend we are going to school and skive and hide in town instead. We made the decision to do that with our free will.

Original post by champ_mc99
No it's not. If my teacher says, "it's compulsory for you to attend the Saturday session", I still have a choice on whether to go or not.

Ah, so what you mean is that it's compulsory, but at the end of the day, it's up to you whether you actually obey it or not? So what you're talking about is basically being naughty/disobeying, but on the sly?

And if you don't obey it, do you believe that Allah will know that you have disobeyed (I assume he's all-seeing like the God of Abraham, right?).
Reply 105
I have few IGCSE exams during Ramadan, but I will fast, in shaa Allah.

I wish ease and success to all.

Ameen.
Original post by Roofas
Yes I regret the self-harm bit maybe. It certainly is unnecessary self-punishment that shouldn't be inflicted upon children however and definitely outdated. It's not quite child abuse.

I'm merely responding to all the quotes of my postings and any other comments aimed at me. If you don't like it why don't you arrange a boycott?

If someone doesn't want to fast, no one but themselves can make them
It's not inflicted upon children at all the time- just reaching the age of puberty which varies a lot. If a child is like 9 and has reached the age of puberty they don't have to fast right then if they feel like they can't but they can make it up later
Well most religions were formed a long long time ago and I think its impressive many muslims choose to follow their faith and religion instead of picking and choosing even if some consider it "outdated"
Original post by Josb
There was another thread about this a couple of months ago, where basically everybody that didn't say "fasting is great during exams" got reported by the Shariah brigade.

I mean, it is obvious that Allah will help those who fast by giving them some extra strength to compensate the lack of nutrition. It's biology m8.

Its all about faith...MATE
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
One way to explain it:

You can choose to pay taxes to the government, or you can choose to avoid it.
But at the end of the day you should be paying it, because that is the law.

Obviously as mentioned before, this applies to a healthy person, who is fit to fast.

Sorry, I replied before I read this.
Original post by frankieboy
Yes, thanks :smile:

Ah, so what you mean is that it's compulsory, but at the end of the day, it's up to you whether you actually obey it or not? So what you're talking about is basically being naughty/disobeying, but on the sly?

And if you don't obey it, do you believe that Allah will know that you have disobeyed (I assume he's all-seeing like the God of Abraham, right?).

Of course Allah will know, and only HE can judge us. No human can say what will happen if we don't fast as its not up to them.
Reply 110
Original post by hana.g
I have few IGCSE exams during Ramadan, but I will fast, in shaa Allah.

I wish ease and success to all.

Ameen.

Not sure, but having a Playboy avatar might be considered haram.
Original post by Axel Johann
I'm DEFINITELY fasting maynn!!

Need all the blessings I can get :yep:

gd mash'Allah

all about the blessings
Muslim here,

No. Because my exams finish on the 24th May (Scottish student) and I believe that Ramadan starts after?
My GCSEs clash with Ramadan, most of these days I have up to 4 exams so I think I won't be fasting. Ramadan shouldn't bring stress upon us, its a time for us to improve our inner self so in my opinion I will miss as little fasts as possible but I definitely won't be able to fast on the days I have 4 exams
Original post by Josb

Yeah I was in a similar one where I got reported by the Enlightenment squad.

But I am happy as I have the God Emperor on my side, he is smiling down at me giving me the strength to do well in the exams.
No revising for me
Reply 115
Original post by Axel Johann
Good point :getmecoat:

But the reason I was defending him is because I fear that we're too quick to just say "report" and then adding fuel to KingBradly and them others' fire about how the criticism of Islam is being censored on TSR.

And then when they make a big fuss about it, they point to their clever wording and say that they weren't in the wrong. Which when you look at it word for word, they kind of weren't because of their clever wording. Thus making us look bad because it makes us look like we're just trying to censor any criticism of Islam.

I do admit you are right in this case, and maybe this case wasn't the best time to point of my long brewing fears, so I'm sorry for that. But it is something I am concerned with. These guys are playing smart now.

I respect your opinion - about being open-minded to criticisms and such. However I can't fault the muslims here for feeling like his comments were disrespectful; even in spite of the inferences you've made. You may infer different meanings but his tone in the earlier comments does come off as disrespectful. We could analyse his wording as you have, but it's a two-way street - he could also improve his tone, too.

Personally I don't feel all the criticism he's listed so far (which are valid i admit) are in anyway relevant to the current this thread is trying to focus on: fasting during exam periods.
Original post by mariam687
gd mash'Allah

all about the blessings

LOOOL love it!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Roofas
These alerts are coming quite quickly you must understand, I don't wish to offend you but your comments have been the least pressing/relevant/constructive thus far.

I'm not trying to be pressing since i'm not here to debate Islam with you, so I don't need to be constructive either.
I'm trying to point out why some of you're opinions, which you posted earlier in the thread, are incorrect.

Original post by Roofas
I would like to reiterate that I haven't gone out of my way to individually offend anyone as such. I really have only been expressing my personal views upon the subject which is something I feel I have the right to do.

I would like to say thank you for clearing that up. However, as mentioned by someone else, this thread was made for Muslim's to have a chat about whether they are going to be fasting during exams. I'm sure there are plenty of threads for debating and would be good place for you to use your arguments and opinions.
Reply 118
Original post by safiyyah98
Fair enough. You have the right, but you have to understand that we found some of your comments disrespectful and I would just like to point out that those punishments you have mentioned in 'Islamic' countries are NOT Islamic in any way.

Well I'll point out that if anyone here is offended it is because I have criticised their religion, which really in the 21st century I don't think should be vital to one's sense of well being. I have however been insulted on this thread in a more personal manner by several users. My entire personality and identity has been unfairly criticised which really to me comes across as a more serious matter.

I'm willing to apologise for any unnecessary and untoward upset I have caused but it's up the individual to decide how much of that applies to them.

I'm aware that beheading isn't something unique to Islamic republics and certainly isn't an 'Islamic' custom but it certainly is depraved and factually more present in the Islamic world today.

(Islamic seems to be an appropriate word to me, what's the issue?)
Reply 119
Original post by AperfectBalance
Yeah I was in a similar one where I got reported by the Enlightenment squad.

But I am happy as I have the God Emperor on my side, he is smiling down at me giving me the strength to do well in the exams.
No revising for me

Exactly, you don't even have to revise with god on your side.

Quick Reply

Latest