The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novascope
Well it's natural for most people to be attracted to their own race. So I can understand your frustration. I'm attracted to white guys, have only date white guys (I am attracted to other races, but I've just never had the chance to date them) and knowing the fact that a majority of white men aren't attracted to me doesn't bother me. I mean, I'm not going to date every single white dude on the planet am I? So knowing that there's a small group that do find me attractive is enough. You don't need validation from everyone, especially when they can't help it.

It bothers me because as someone already pointed out already in this thread, we shouldn't be made to feel inferior. This definitely makes me feel inferior, like I'm not good enough.

Ofcourse there are other factors such as cultural differences etc, but it seems to me this is the most frustrating.
It is natural to be attracted to your own race... There have been studies which show that you're more likely to be attracted to people who resemble yourself, and even your parents. Hence why a majority of people are attracted to their own race.

There is no study that could prove you are inherently more likely to be attracted to your own race.

As soon as we are born into this world our minds are conditioned by our environments and society.

Unless you can find some way to erase a lifetime of social conditioning, there's no way you could prove people are inherently more attracted to their own race.
No I don't think I'm inferior, I don't think white guys are better than Asian guys. I just feel like I'm made to feel this way if we're generally speaking. I don't have an inferiority complex at all.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
I as a white like desi girls - especially when they're the perfect shade of brown
like a latte or something - mm

Dark brown bangladeshi/thai looking girls are soooo sexy. With their downright near black armpits. I like.

Original post by TheHistoryphile
Of course, but I think there is a subconscious element to it.

There is, definitely.

However, there's also a subset that will have grown up around a lot of ethnic minorities where subconsciously they will be more attracted to them than not. Similarly, if the ethnic minorites they meet are all rather well off, well educated, well mannered and successful yet they have grown up around a lot of stereotypical, chavvy white scum. Like myself. You will find that they subconsciously find white girls less attractive than ethnic girls of all sorts.

This is of course highly complex - personal tragedies and traumas affect it, childhood friendship groups, influence of parents (if they're racist it is unlikely they'll raise a kid that is ceaselessly attracted to ethnic minorities, and the opposite is true too), loads of different things affect what we are attracted to and it is all subconscious.
Original post by Espada Null
There is no study that could prove you are inherently more likely to be attracted to your own race.

As soon as we are born into this world our minds are conditioned by our environments and society.

Unless you can find some way to erase a lifetime of social conditioning, there's no way you could prove people are inherently more attracted to their own race.

So why is it that a majority of people are in fact attracted to their own race? Idk why you're trying to argue with me as if I've said this is a problem lol. It's true, most people do go for their own race while the minority are more open to others...
So why is it that a majority of people are in fact attracted to their own race? Idk why you're trying to argue with me as if I've said this is a problem lol. It's true, most people do go for their own race while the minority are more open to others...

Literally because most people are conditioned around people of a single race, I'm pretty sure up until recently the vast majority of white people had two white parents, white friends and lived in a majority white town.
Original post by Dinasaurus
That seems to be biased on the fact that most people are the same race as their parents and live in countries with one ethnicity being the majority, my parents are both mixed race and not the same mix and therefore I'm not the same as them and I've not known people like me, I've not felt a natural inclination towards people like me.

I'm pretty sure if others grew up in a similar country/situation, they probably wouldn't have this bias.

You're right.

It is mostly culture that is being passed down and that specific, pseudo-racist culture gets passed down because of the fact that both parents are the same colour whether they're both black, both Chinese, or both white. Granted sometimes other cultures demand their daughters go find white men because white, in England, is the best, however, some cultures (think angry black mums) do the opposite and abhor their daughters if they chase a white man - and thus you get black girls who think white men are disgusting.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Dark brown bangladeshi/thai looking girls are soooo sexy. With their downright near black armpits and pussies. I like.

You're trying to be discriminatory, aren't you?
You're trying to be discriminatory, aren't you?

Uhh I'm actually serious lol.

Some guys like lighter skinned pakistanis.

But me. Nope. I'm a white guy who prefers his darker women :P

Because the majority of people are brought up in pseudo-racist cultures by their same-race parents. Point he's trying to make is that it need not be like that; if we were all brought up more open minded, with less overt cultural differences and perhaps mixed race then we wouldn't all end up attracted mostly just to our own races.
Well I'm not inferior. I'm just as educated, well spoken, well read as a white girl in my position would be. I shouldn't be told i'm inferior because I have a little more pigment in my skin than she does. :colonhash:
No I don't think I'm inferior, I don't think white guys are better than Asian guys. I just feel like I'm made to feel this way if we're generally speaking. I don't have an inferiority complex at all.

"I feel like if I were to date one he would be lowering his standards of beauty. I know it's awful but that is how it makes me feel. I've only ever dated desi men because I feel like we are on the same level..."

Sounds like you think white guys demand/deserve better than Asian guys. Since you're on the same level as Asian guys, but a white would be lowering his standards.
Original post by Lord Samosa
"I feel like if I were to date one he would be lowering his standards of beauty. I know it's awful but that is how it makes me feel. I've only ever dated desi men because I feel like we are on the same level..."

Sounds like you think white guys demand/deserve better than Asian guys. Since you're on the same level as Asian guys, but a white would be lowering his standards.

Certainly not, I respect the asian guys I have dated. It just came out wrong now that I read back to what I wrote, it wasn't my intention to put down asian men. But rather to bring forward the point that I feel inferior to white men...

I don't have an inferiority complex with in my our race, I'm really proud of my roots, I wouldn't change them for the world. I just find the existing attitude towards south asians frustrating.
Well I'm not inferior. I'm just as educated, well spoken, well read as a white girl in my position would be. I shouldn't be told i'm inferior because I have a little more pigment in my skin than she does. :colonhash:

But you yourself have admitted you only date desi guys because you cant get white guys.

you say you're not inferior, but your words and actions suggest otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Espada Null
But you yourself have admitted you only date desi guys because you cant get white guys.

you say you're not inferior, but your actions suggest otherwise.

Can you read? I'm NOT inferior, I just feel like it at times.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Because the majority of people are brought up in pseudo-racist cultures by their same-race parents. Point he's trying to make is that it need not be like that; if we were all brought up more open minded, with less overt cultural differences and perhaps mixed race then we wouldn't all end up attracted mostly just to our own races.

Yeah and I know that... all I was saying is that most people are attracted to their own race lol.
Reply 36
Well it's natural for most people to be attracted to their own race. So I can understand your frustration. I'm attracted to white guys, have only date white guys (I am attracted to other races, but I've just never had the chance to date them) and knowing the fact that a majority of white men aren't attracted to me doesn't bother me. I mean, I'm not going to date every single white dude on the planet am I? So knowing that there's a small group that do find me attractive is enough. You don't need validation from everyone, especially when they can't help it.

>It's natural for most people to be attracted to their own race
>I'm attracted to white guys
what? :l
Yeah and I know that... all I was saying is that most people are attracted to their own race lol.

Okay. Nobody disagreeing with you there ^_^

It's just important to note to others incase they don't realise it that that fact being true doesn't mean that it is an innate part of human beings that makes it the case and therefore that it will always be true.
Original post by Biryani007
Firstly - wtf is wrong with that guy in the video??

Secondly - 'lowering his standards of beauty'?? Quit putting white people on a pedestal, if the guy's with you it means he finds you attractive...

Thirdly - everyone's different, you'll get some white guys attracted to Pakistani girls and you'll get some that aren't. Also the amount that are is probably higher than you think as they may find you attractive but, believing you're muslim, won't approach you.

damn what race are you because im definitely attracted to you, beautiful
The guy in the video really is the reason I raised this point, it just is an example of everything I'm talking about.

I'm not putting them on a pedestal intentionally I swear, it is just I feel like we will always be compared to the European standards of beauty.

Ofcourse everyone is different, I just wish this attitude didn't exist.

He may be someone who's only attracted to white girls, people like different things...does not mean all white guys think the same..

You've got to stop comparing yourself, darker skin tones are beautiful! There's somewhat of an inferiority complex, you feeling as though you're not worthy of a white guy because you're pakistani...you'll only be compared to European standards of beauty if you carry on comparing yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending