The Student Room Group

too young for this?

Is 18/19 too young to think about marriage? I'm going on 21 and my bf is turning 19 and he told me to watch that space while holding my ring finger . And I was confused and surprised, especially at 5 months and he seems so certain. And the marriage reference comes from his side more than me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is 18/19 too young to think about marriage? I'm going on 21 and my bf is turning 19 and he told me to watch that space while holding my ring finger . And I was confused and surprised, especially at 5 months and he seems so certain. And the marriage reference comes from his side more than me.

Personally i have no issue with getting engaged at that age however,5 months into a relationship is a bit on the early side to get engaged. Have you considered living together for a while first?
Reply 2
Yep. :redface:

Most marriages at this age turn out to be 'starter marriages'.

5 months is also way too soon whatever age you are.

:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Personally i have no issue with getting engaged at that age however,5 months into a relationship is a bit on the early side to get engaged. Have you considered living together for a while first?

We're not living together just uni settings with living near each other, but everything when it does happen will be after graduation. Personally, we do feel like a married couple at times but, from his side, i'm surprised with how serious he is. And don't think we will live together. We like our space too much .
Reply 4
Original post by stefano865
Yep. :redface:

Most marriages at this age turn out to be 'starter marriages'.

5 months is also way too soon whatever age you are.

:wink:

Yeah, but it's just been 5 months into the relationship and he seems very certain. I guess he's just reassuring me of the future.
We're not living together just uni settings with living near each other, but everything when it does happen will be after graduation. Personally, we do feel like a married couple at times but, from his side, i'm surprised with how serious he is. And don't think we will live together. We like our space too much .

Does you feel you currently like your space too much to live together? Is it something you can see doing in the future?
I would wait till you've lived together for a bit before getting engaged as that teaches you a lot about a person, however if you're not planning on getting married until after graduation then maybe a long engagement?
I think that's too young an age. You shouldn't be so hasty about getting married, you have plenty of time anyways.
Reply 7
You really need to live together for several months before going into anything serious. If you can live together for a year without serious relationship problems then you're good.
Reply 8
Does you feel you currently like your space too much to live together? Is it something you can see doing in the future?
I would wait till you've lived together for a bit before getting engaged as that teaches you a lot about a person, however if you're not planning on getting married until after graduation then maybe a long engagement?

Eh... it's weird because i'm the one who acts casual, so it freaks me out a bit. I don't want to be engaged to him until after graduation. And living together is scary lol. he's a messy neat freak, i'm an messy neat freak to some degree... we'll just clash. Plus, living apart kinda reminds me more of the honeymoon stage. I think he's coming on too strong because he sees me as the one. Which is cute, but, it's a bit scary lol
Reply 9
Original post by HurtfulHarold
I think that's too young an age. You shouldn't be so hasty about getting married, you have plenty of time anyways.

That's my side of things, but he's the one that's hasty about it. I guess it's the excitement and stuff.. and our relationship has got serious quite quickly which doesn't help my side.
Original post by BWV1007
You really need to live together for several months before going into anything serious. If you can live together for a year without serious relationship problems then you're good.

I'm scared to do that, if I am honest. I like my own space as much as I love being around him. And he is the same. Plus.. parents wont allow that even if we've been together for 3 years ><
Eh... it's weird because i'm the one who acts casual, so it freaks me out a bit. I don't want to be engaged to him until after graduation. And living together is scary lol. he's a messy neat freak, i'm an messy neat freak to some degree... we'll just clash. Plus, living apart kinda reminds me more of the honeymoon stage. I think he's coming on too strong because he sees me as the one. Which is cute, but, it's a bit scary lol

You know if you feel the relationship might be going a bit fast, just tell him how you feel. I'm a relatively messy person and my boyfriend loves cleaning and living together has worked out perfectly for us (i guess i m less messy than i used to be:P), for us living together wasn't a scary thought at all.
You know having your own space when you live together is actually possible :P
I always thought 3 years was a good measure of time to be with someone before you popped the question. Ample time for things to go bad with that significant other to see how you ride those storms before deciding to get married. Save you're self an expensive marriage and potentially even more expensive divorce.
You know if you feel the relationship might be going a bit fast, just tell him how you feel. I'm a relatively messy person and my boyfriend loves cleaning and living together has worked out perfectly for us (i guess i m less messy than i used to be:P), for us living together wasn't a scary thought at all.
You know having your own space when you live together is actually possible :P

That's interesting , I'll think about next year. I guess I just into keeping things in the honeymoon stage even if it includes the nervous feeling you get walking to their place and waiting for them to open the door. I'll wait when it's like nearly 2 years before I ask about it :smile: , thank you
I personally wouldn't do it but I don't want to get married until I'm at least 25, probably 30, you're both over 18 but it does still seem very young.
Original post by Random.guy
I always thought 3 years was a good measure of time to be with someone before you popped the question. Ample time for things to go bad with that significant other to see how you ride those storms before deciding to get married. Save you're self an expensive marriage and potentially even more expensive divorce.

Yeah, I understand. I'll just subtly remind him that I'm not ready :smile:. I think he's too sprung/ really in love.
Original post by Blondie987
I personally wouldn't do it but I don't want to get married until I'm at least 25, probably 30, you're both over 18 but it does still seem very young.

yeah, I understand your point. I want it to be like 24 minimum with both having a good job. I'll wait for time to give him a reality check :smile:
yeah, I understand your point. I want it to be like 24 minimum with both having a good job. I'll wait for time to give him a reality check :smile:

As long as you know where you stand, I'm sure he'll understand :smile:

You think 5 months is early...

I'm scared to do that, if I am honest. I like my own space as much as I love being around him. And he is the same. Plus.. parents wont allow that even if we've been together for 3 years ><

Also remember that people change, especially when they're young. You'll both change sometimes in ways you wouldn't even have guessed. You'll start to grow apart when you find that he's not as attractive in personality or looks as he used to be. You'll both change - change is inevitable. But if the both of you can make it through that change while still being in love with each other - great. You'd have passed one of time's trials.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending