The Student Room Group

How does the A level Maths modular system work?

I'm trying to work out how this whole modular system works.

So I understand that for A level you have to do 6 modules for Maths. And C 1-4 are compulsory. There are also January exams and later exams, which are in May or June?

Which modules do you do in each exam though? Can you just do any that you've covered?

I ask because I'm thinking of doing A level Maths in a single year next year, but my biggest concern would be having to do the A2 modules at the same time as the AS modules. Can I just do all the AS modules in the January exam, and the A2 in the later ones?

You take C1, 2 3 and 4 and your choice of two applied modules (though you must have taken the "1" option of each to take the "2" option).

I do not believe that January exams exist any longer so you will take all 6 exams in one sitting.
Original post by ByronicHero
I do not believe that January exams exist any longer so you will take all 6 exams in one sitting.

I spoke to someone in my AS year who's doing Maths and he said that there are January exams. :/ He's with AQA though. Is it just certain boards that still do January exams?
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm trying to work out how this whole modular system works.

So I understand that for A level you have to do 6 modules for Maths. And C 1-4 are compulsory. There are also January exams and later exams, which are in May or June?

Which modules do you do in each exam though? Can you just do any that you've covered?

I ask because I'm thinking of doing A level Maths in a single year next year, but my biggest concern would be having to do the A2 modules at the same time as the AS modules. Can I just do all the AS modules in the January exam, and the A2 in the later ones?

You take C1, 2 3 and 4 and your choice of two applied modules (though you must have taken the "1" option of each to take the "2" option).

I spoke to someone in my AS year who's doing Maths and he said that there are January exams. :/ He's with AQA though. Is it just certain boards that still do January exams?

You do...

Y12 - C1, C2, applied module (could be S1, M1 or D1 for instance)
Y13 - C3, C4, another applied module

There are no Jan exams for English A-levels. However some schools choose not to sit modular exams anyway, so all your exams could be in Y13. That's unlikely though because if a modular system is available most schools will take it.
Original post by jamestg
You do...

Y12 - C1, C2, applied module (could be S1, M1 or D1 for instance)
Y13 - C3, C4, another applied module

There are no Jan exams for English A-levels. However some schools choose not to sit modular exams anyway, so all your exams could be in Y13. That's unlikely though because if a modular system is available most schools will take it.

Huh? (@ the 'English A levels' thing)

So does that mean that I couldn't do all AS in Jan and A2 in the later exams?

Or when you said 'there are no Jan exams for English (Maths?) A-levels', does that mean that I'd be sitting both AS and A2 at the end of the year?

In case you missed it I'd be doing Maths over one year, so I wouldn't have the luxury of doing a two-year modular thingy. But I need to know if I would have to sit the A2 modules at the same time as the AS modules (like if I'd have to do C1, C2, C3, and C4 all in January or something).

Sorry if that doesn't make sense :/
Reply 5

So does that mean that I couldn't do all AS in Jan and A2 in the later exams?

Or when you said 'there are no Jan exams for English (Maths?) A-levels', does that mean that I'd be sitting both AS and A2 at the end of the year?

In case you missed it I'd be doing Maths over one year, so I wouldn't have the luxury of doing a two-year modular thingy. But I need to know if I would have to sit the A2 modules at the same time as the AS modules (like if I'd have to do C1, C2, C3, and C4 all in January or something).

Sorry if that doesn't make sense :/

International A-levels can be done in January, but the 'English A-levels' cannot. Before you ask you can't do the International A-levels :colondollar:

If you're doing all of A-level maths in one year, you'll be sitting all 6 exams next summer! So yes, AS and A2 maths will be done together. Timetabling wise AS maths comes before A2, so it shouldn't be a problem.

They mean A-levels with domestic boards in England(more generally the UK).
Original post by jamestg
International A-levels can be done in January, but the 'English A-levels' cannot. Before you ask you can't do the International A-levels :colondollar:

If you're doing all of A-level maths in one year, you'll be sitting all 6 exams next summer! So yes, AS and A2 maths will be done together. Timetabling wise AS maths comes before A2, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ohhh I see, I thought you meant English as in the subject :tongue:

That's fine then, I was just worried that I'd be having to do A2 exams before I'd be finished with the AS stuff.

Ohhh I see, I thought you meant English as in the subject :tongue:

That's fine then, I was just worried that I'd be having to do A2 exams before I'd be finished with the AS stuff.

Really, you will want to know all of the material long before you sit any exams. The AS and A2 exams being spread out means, though, that you will be able to focus on one set before focusing on the next.

I'm currently self-teaching on Edexcel. I probably won't take the exams, but the point is that quite a lot of it can be picked up quite fast. I spent maybe 5 hours learning S1 and then achieved a mid-B on a practice paper, for example. From there it wouldn't take long to get to a decent level.
Really, you will want to know all of the material long before you sit any exams. The AS and A2 exams being spread out means, though, that you will be able to focus on one set before focusing on the next.

They're spread out? I thought you said that they're roughly at the same time, at the end of the year? :confused:
They're spread out? I thought you said that they're roughly at the same time, at the end of the year? :confused:

They are, but you will have ample time between exams. Give me two minutes and I will show you the provisional dates Edexcel have set for each module. This will give you an idea of spacing.

Here you go. This will give you an idea of when clashes are. Generally, you will end up with plenty of time between exams to revise.

17/5/17 (AM)
Mathematics: Mechanics M3
Mathematics: Core Mathematics C1

19/5/17 (AM)
Mathematics: Further Pure FP1

24/5/17 (AM)
Mathematics: Core Mathematics C2
Mathematics: Statistics S3

7/6/17 (AM)
Mathematics: Further Pure FP2
Mathematics: Statistics S1

14/6/17 (AM)