The Student Room Group

Official AQA German AS

Scroll to see replies

I have my speaking exam tomorrow! Wish me luck!:biggrin:
I thought all speaking exams took place on same day, how come they're notttttt.

Pretty much just vocab for reading. Not much else you can do really, except get used to complex sentences.

Also be careful you don't copy unnecessary info from the reading thing into your answer (as you can not be awarded a mark for such a thing :frown:)
3rd of may?! Why is mine sooo early.

And woohoo, I was worried I was gonna be completely off mark haha. Congrats though, 30/35 is great :smile:
--

I THINK I'M DEVELOPING A SORE THROAT THIS CAN'T HAPPEN 1 DAY BEFORE MY SPEAKING.
Original post by limadima
I have a great idea, does anyone want to exchange number so we could text in german?

Ja, bestimmt! Auf Handy oder Facebook?

That would be so cool and we could help eachother!
I had my speaking today!!!

In good news I DIDNT LOSE MY VOICE MY THROAT IS STILL SORE BUT I MANAGED TO DO FINE yay
In some bad news I was initially offered 2 cards of which one I couldn't take because I chose it as my topic...woops.

I did card A (on music...which was actually pretty uhh difficult woops) and i was asked on my chosen topic (Gesund Leben) + werbung and familie
--
I almost cried because i kept saying "UMM AHH UMM" so ****ing often and as soon as the tape stopped recording i slammed my head down on the desk and said IM SO SORRY I SAID UMM SO OFTEN IM SORRY IT WAS BAD

i asked the teacher if she could guess where id be and she said definitely within top 2 grades, but she wouldn't give me an exact

so yay
Mine is 4th May I'm so worried ahhhh!! Do you have any tips on how to revise well for it all? I'm so bad at saying um and I need to stop pausing so often, in my last mock a few months ago I got 37/50 which was without revision so I'm just praying I do well!

Original post by hattybieber
Mine is 4th May I'm so worried ahhhh!! Do you have any tips on how to revise well for it all? I'm so bad at saying um and I need to stop pausing so often, in my last mock a few months ago I got 37/50 which was without revision so I'm just praying I do well!

Just revise loads of specific vocab for each area and have some complicated grammatical structures ready.
Original post by Inexorably
I had my speaking today!!!

In good news I DIDNT LOSE MY VOICE MY THROAT IS STILL SORE BUT I MANAGED TO DO FINE yay
In some bad news I was initially offered 2 cards of which one I couldn't take because I chose it as my topic...woops.

I did card A (on music...which was actually pretty uhh difficult woops) and i was asked on my chosen topic (Gesund Leben) + werbung and familie
--
I almost cried because i kept saying "UMM AHH UMM" so ****ing often and as soon as the tape stopped recording i slammed my head down on the desk and said IM SO SORRY I SAID UMM SO OFTEN IM SORRY IT WAS BAD

i asked the teacher if she could guess where id be and she said definitely within top 2 grades, but she wouldn't give me an exact

so yay

Yeah, I saw the Musik one. Avoided that card immediately and chose Urlaub.
Original post by greentron6
Yeah, I saw the Musik one. Avoided that card immediately and chose Urlaub.

I couldn't be offered that one (was offered it by mistake ;/) the other was family & relationships and was about grandparents keeping in touch with children or something.

I always refuse to pick a family one on a card because I find it soooo much easier to just wing that one when it comes up, than let's say music or fashion.

But needless to say that card was so challenging and i seemingly have a habit of picking difficult cards in all my mocks and now the real deal
I couldn't be offered that one (was offered it by mistake ;/) the other was family & relationships and was about grandparents keeping in touch with children or something.

I always refuse to pick a family one on a card because I find it soooo much easier to just wing that one when it comes up, than let's say music or fashion.

But needless to say that card was so challenging and i seemingly have a habit of picking difficult cards in all my mocks and now the real deal

Hopefully, you'll be fine.
Sorry I haven't put this up earlier and that this isn't the full list of questions, but these are some of the summary questions my teachers gave us at the end of each sub-topic...
Sport and Exercise:
Welche Rolle spielt Sport in ihrem Leben?
Warum ist es wichtig, Sport zu treiben?
Muss Sport viel kosten?
Was halten Sie von Fitness-Clubs?
Was war die erste Sportart, die Sie als Kind betrieben haben?
Was magst du lieber traditionelle oder Trendsportarten z.B. Kanufahren, Seilspringen, Wakeboarden? Warum?
Was sind die Vorteile, eine Sport zu treiben?
Was sind die Nachteile, eine Sport zu treiben?
Welcher Sport macht wirklich fit, deiner Meinung nach? Warum?
Was fur eine Person soll Vorbild im Sport sein?

Health and Well-being
Was sind die Gefahren des Rauchens/ des Alkoholkonsums/ des Drogenkonsums?
Was kann man gegen der steigende Anzahl von Drogensuchtigen?
Soll man das Rauchen total verbieten? Was ist deiner Meinung dazu?
Sollte es strengere Kontrollen geben?
Warum ist eine gesunde Ernährung wichtig ?
Was ist eigentlich eine gesunde Ernährung? Ernähren Sie sich gesund?
Was sind die Nachteile von einer ungesunde Ernährung?
Welche Grunde gibt es fur Magersucht?
Warum leiden viele (junge) Leute heutzutage unter Stress?
Was ware ihre Tipps fur eine gutes ausgewogenes Privatleben?
Was sind die Nachteile eines überlastetes/stressiges Leben?
Was würden sie tun, wenn sie kein Gleichgewicht im Leben hätten?

Holidays

Was machen Sie am liebsten im Urlaub?
Warum ist es wichtig Urlaub zu haben?
Fahren Sie lieber mit Ihrer Familie oder mit Freunden auf Urlaub? Warum?
Was ist die Zukunft des Reisens?
Was sind jetzt die Urlaubtrends fur junge Leute?
Was ist fur Sie wichtig bei der Wahl eines Urlaubs?
Welche positiven/ negativen Folgen hat der Tourismus fur eine Region?
Was heisst ‘Sanfter Tourismus’? Was kann die Regierung machen, um die Umwelt zu schützen?

Relationships within the family
Gibt es heutzutage noch eine typische Familie?
Ist es Ihrer Meinung nach wichtig, dass ein Kind mit beiden Eltern aufwachst ? Warum (nicht)?
Welche Konflikte gibt es häufig zwischen Eltern und Kindern?
Was sind gute Eltern, deiner Meinung nach?
Kann man ein gutes Verhaltnis mit den Eltern haben? Was ware ein gutes Verhältnis deiner Meinung nach?
Was heisst eine Familie fur Sie?
Gibt es Ihrer Meinung nach eine ideale Familie? Wie sieht sie aus?
Was ist in einer Familie wichtig fur Sie?
Welche Vor oder Nachteile hat es Geschwister zu haben?
Was ist fur sie gar nicht wichtig in einer Familie zu haben?
Gibt es Aehnlichkeiten zwischen die alte und die junge Generationen? Was sind sie?

Friendships

Wie wichtig ist es Freunde zu haben? Warum?
Welche Eigenschaften hat ein guter Freund/ eine gute Freundin?
Kann man mehr als einen besten Freund haben?
Welche Konflikte kann es zwischen Freunden geben? Wie kann man sie lösen?
Worüber sprechen Sie mit Ihren Freunden?
Was sind die häufigste Probleme, die zwischen Freunden vorkommen, deiner Meinung nach?
Wie sind sich Liebe und Freundschaft ähnlich? Wie unterscheiden sie sich ihrer Meinung nach?
Was erwarten Sie von einem Partner/einer Partnerin?
Was ist Ihnen in einer Beziehung wichtig?

Marriage/ Partnerships

Ist die Ehe Ihrer Meinung nach altmodisch?
Welche Probleme kann die Scheidung / die Trennung der Eltern verursachen?
Wer sollte sich in einer Ehe/ Partnerschaft um die Kinder kümmern?
Sind sie fur oder gegen die Ehe? Was ist Ihrer Meinung dazu?
Was passiert heutzutage in die meisten Familie? Ist es besser in einer Familie mit heiratende Eltern zu wohnen ?
Was fur eine Rolle würden Sie spielen, wenn Sie verheiratet waren ?
Welche Vor - / Nachteile hat das Leben als Single?
Was würden Sie wählen allein sein oder eine Partnerin/einen Partner finden?

Mode
Ist Mode wichtig für dich?
Welche Kleidung trägst du am liebsten? Warum? / Welcher Kleidungstil gefällt dir am besten?
Wie ist deine Meinung zu Markenkleidung / Designerkleidung?
Wie findest su sie Supermodels?
Was findest du atttraktiv (oder nicht) an einem Jungen / Mädchen?
Reply 51
hey everyone

my AS oral is in 2 weeks today! i think im pretty well prepared for it, but oh man. speaking is my weakest part.

how's everyone else doing? everyone ready for the exams?
Will I be marked down for using cases wrong? My teacher said no but i'm not sure
Original post by qwerty505
Will I be marked down for using cases wrong? My teacher said no but i'm not sure

/Depends/

In the speaking? It might show levels of innacuracy if you do it all wrong allllll the time, but shouldn't be too big a deal.
In the writing? It will lower your essay mark in terms of accuracy if you keep using it wrong.
In the reading? It might affect how you do on the grammar section if you struggle to recognise case of an adjective.

You need to use them correctly because you can change entire meanings of sentence if you use the wrong case, compare:

Ich gebe dem Mann den Hund = I gave the dog to the man
Ich gebe den Mann dem Hund = I gave the man to the dog

So it is important and it can affect your marks /slightly/
/Depends/

In the speaking? It might show levels of innacuracy if you do it all wrong allllll the time, but shouldn't be too big a deal.
In the writing? It will lower your essay mark in terms of accuracy if you keep using it wrong.
In the reading? It might affect how you do on the grammar section if you struggle to recognise case of an adjective.

You need to use them correctly because you can change entire meanings of sentence if you use the wrong case, compare:

Ich gebe dem Mann den Hund = I gave the dog to the man
Ich gebe den Mann dem Hund = I gave the man to the dog

So it is important and it can affect your marks /slightly/

Thanks. I use cases correctly in the writing and reading as I have more time to think, it's just during my speaking and it's mainly just with adjective endings
Original post by qwerty505
Thanks. I use cases correctly in the writing and reading as I have more time to think, it's just during my speaking and it's mainly just with adjective endings

Ah I see. Adjective endings are just a matter of practice but you'll get a feel for it, you can't mess up too much with the case system really unless you (unfortunately) use the wrong article on a masculine noun (since they change in every case unlike fem/n/pl) but the examiner understands what you mean and allows grammatical errors anyway.

Good luck with your speaking if not done =)
I had a mock yesterday and I'm sure this will probably be the last mock we get before the exam, so if I don't do well then I'm gonna be cryingggggggg.

Based on last year's boundaries you needed 91/110 to get an A (which is my target and what I'm aiming for) which I reckon is doable but omg.

Has anyone by any chance done the June 2015 German paper as a mock? The section with people talking about fashion made me cry because I could not figure out who was saying they respect the price like?? NO-ONE EVEN SAID THE WORD PRICE I SWEAR I LISTENED SO MANY TIMES.
For those who've already done their speaking, how did you cope with it? One of my teachers is doing it and he's very nice with the speaking, according to friends who had him at GCSE. I'm just very nervous that I'm going to freeze and forget everything. How did you pick the card?
I don't think Language A Levels have changed to a new format so I assume you can do this, I wouldn't see why not.

Also; the speaking is out of 50 marks^^^ for AQA AS.
Does anyone who has already done the speaking have any idea how hard the stimulus cards are this year? Because from the look of last years they seem to be writing less on them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending