The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #PACEtrial
Hi there, I'm really concerned about the way in which some researchers at QMUL have been spinning their data, and then attempting to smear patients who are concerned about what they've done. The QMUL administration seems to have also been attempting to portray Freedom of Infomation requests as harassment.

There was a report out last week which provides some details on this: http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/uploads/attachment/492/in-the-expectation-of-recovery.pdf

Is this something that others at QMUL are concerned about and trying to fight against, or is no-one really bothered?

Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

Although I am aware of the PACE trial, I am not in a position to respond on behalf of the university. Personally, I do not know enough about the study to comment on it.

Sorry to not be of more help.
Barts love,
Will
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Ramkali
Hi Will,

I was wondering what books you would definitely recommend to buy for first year and which ones are best taken out from the library.

Hi, good question!

I own a grand total of zero medical text books! Any book I have ever needed to use has been available in the library. That said, lots of people do buy their books and common examples include Kumar & Clark and Clinically Orientated Anatomy. Medical text books are pricey but some people find them useful enough to go out and buy them. I recommend you wait until you start and then see how you get on. If you feel you need to buy a book when you're studying, then go for it.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Queen Mary University of London

Although I am aware of the PACE trial, I am not in a position to respond on behalf of the university. Personally, I do not know enough about the study to comment on it.

Sorry to not be of more help.
Barts love,
Will

Thanks Will.

Do you know if there are people at QMUL who are interested in looking at these sorts of abuses of power? To me it seems like those responsible are able to get away with avoiding justifying their actions, and that others at QMUL aren't really interested in looking at the details. Do you think that there is a cultural problem around ethical standards at QMUL?

Also, I'd be interested to know how you're aware of the PACE trial, and if QMUL have been spinning things to students too.
Original post by #PACEtrial
Thanks Will.

Do you know if there are people at QMUL who are interested in looking at these sorts of abuses of power? To me it seems like those responsible are able to get away with avoiding justifying their actions, and that others at QMUL aren't really interested in looking at the details. Do you think that there is a cultural problem around ethical standards at QMUL?

Also, I'd be interested to know how you're aware of the PACE trial, and if QMUL have been spinning things to students too.

Hi,

My own experience of medical research at QMUL has been positive. Medical students at Barts are taught about ethical issues surrounding medical research throughout the duration of the course.

As I have stated, it would be inappropriate for me to comment specifically on the issues surrounding the PACE trial as I have not had an opportunity to read up on it.

Thanks,
Will
(edited 8 years ago)
Cool. I know a guy there who's also a second year. I assume you know the ins and outs of the application process. Is there anything worth doing that will really make you stand out?
Original post by champ_mc99
Cool. I know a guy there who's also a second year. I assume you know the ins and outs of the application process. Is there anything worth doing that will really make you stand out?

Hi! Very good question.

I have had this same conversation with a few of the professors and doctors who conduct interviews. Since the interviews are generally quite relaxed, if you get the opportunity to talk about something interesting you have done (non-medical), this will make you stand out. So, if you've done a bit of travelling, raised money for a good cause, run a marathon or something similar, you're more likely to impress the interviewer.

Medical-based experience is important (and probably essential) but if you have something a bit more personal to talk about, you'll probably connect more with the interviewer.

I hope this answers your question.
Barts love,
Will
Reply 26
Hi,
do you, by any chance, know how strict the admissions are on the offers they gave out. For example, if I do not fulfill the academic requirements of the offer by a point, will the offer be dismissed or is there the possibility of negotiating? p.s. International student here taking the IB and missing my offer by a point would be getting a 5 in chemistry HL instead of a 6 for instance.
Original post by juveale
Hi,
do you, by any chance, know how strict the admissions are on the offers they gave out. For example, if I do not fulfill the academic requirements of the offer by a point, will the offer be dismissed or is there the possibility of negotiating? p.s. International student here taking the IB and missing my offer by a point would be getting a 5 in chemistry HL instead of a 6 for instance.

Unfortunately, I'm not up to date with policies for admission. Traditionally, medical schools are quite stringent with their academic requirements and aren't willing to negotiate. However, I recommend that you contact the A100 admissions team as they will be able to advise you further.

020 7882 8478
[email protected]

Barts love,
Will
Hello!

I was wondering if students have the ability to be involved or intern for academic research going on in Barts and Queen Mary? Also, do students go on international hospital placements? If so do they do medical student placements abroad independently or are they organized by the school? Also, in terms of taking an intercalated degree, have some students ever gone to other universities for to do something not offered by Barts?
Thank you so much for answering questions on this thread. It is very useful for hopeful future students.
Original post by annaliisa123
Hello!

I was wondering if students have the ability to be involved or intern for academic research going on in Barts and Queen Mary? Also, do students go on international hospital placements? If so do they do medical student placements abroad independently or are they organized by the school? Also, in terms of taking an intercalated degree, have some students ever gone to other universities for to do something not offered by Barts?
Thank you so much for answering questions on this thread. It is very useful for hopeful future students.

Hi, thanks for the great questions!

There are loads of opportunities to get involved in research both in a formal and informal capacity. If you decide to do a research-based intercalated degree, you will get loads of time in the lab and may be involved in research that is published in major academic journals. However, it is also possible to get involved in research by just chatting to some of the professors and doctors that are leading the research. You will constantly be in contact with such people in hospitals, PBLs, lectures, academic societies and even sports teams! They are often keen to get medical students involved to do the leg work for them, and you may even get paid! As well as this, there are scholarships and grants available to students to get involved in research over the summer months. Personally, I have been paid for some work I have done in a gastroenterology study currently taking place at QMUL. I have also competed an audit at Whipps Cross Hospital. Basically, the opportunities for academic research work are endless!

As far as I am aware, there aren't normally hospital placements abroad. The teaching hospitals at Barts are in and around London. However, there is an 'elective' which is taken in the final year and many students choose to do this abroad. This is part of the degree and is compulsory. This is organised by yourself with guidance from the medical school. To be honest, I don't know much about this as it's a few years away for me! You can read more about what electives involve here: http://electives.smd.qmul.ac.uk/

Finally, Intercalated degrees! These are very popular with students from Barts and most choose to complete them at Barts/QMUL. However, if you wish to complete an intercalated degree at another university, there is an application process to do this. One of my friends just found out that he has had his application to do an external BSc at Imperial approved. This is popular amongst students who wish to do an intercalated BSc in a subject that Barts/QMUL do not offer. However, QMUL offer 11 intercalated degrees which are popular with medical students from all around the country. You can read more about that here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/intercalated/index.html

I hope I answered all of your questions!
Barts Love,
Will
Hi I have a couple of questions
how likely is it that we get our first choice accomodation ?
how is time split between the three campuses (west smithfield, mile end and whitechapel) ?
Original post by nollib5252
Hi I have a couple of questions
how likely is it that we get our first choice accomodation ?
how is time split between the three campuses (west smithfield, mile end and whitechapel) ?

Hi! Thanks for getting in touch.

Allocation of accommodation is based on multiple factors that I'm not too clued up on. I got my first choice accommodation (but that doesn't really answer your question). If you want to chat to someone about it, give residential services a call: +44 (0)20 7882 6474

In your first two years, all lectures are in the Perrin Lecture Theatre on our Whitechapel Campus. Therefore, most of your time will be spent here. Anatomy and Physiology practicals (1 or 2 a week) are at the QMUL campus in Mile End. Clinical skills sessions (roughly once a fortnight although it depends on the module you're on) are at the West Smithfield campus. There are also libraries at all three campuses. Once you reach third year, you spend more time on placements and those can be all over London. I would say that currently I spend 80% of my time at the Whitechapel campus, 15% of my time at the Mile End campus and 5% of my time at the West Smithfield campus. However, if you asked me in my first year, I would have said 70% Whitechapel, 10% Mile End and 20% West Smithfield (I hope those all add up to 100%).

Please get back to me if you need further information.
Barts Love,
Will
Hi! My name is Will and I am currently a second year undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

How many A*s did you get?
I really want to apply for medicine but my GCSE's are really weak (I got 7 A's and 3 B's)
Reply 33
Hello,

I wanted to ask approximately until when do we have to pay the full tuition fee? Would it be around mid-August, as school stars in mid-September?
Also, how much money would you say you spend a month?
Reply 34
Original post by alevelstudentmed
How many A*s did you get?
I really want to apply for medicine but my GCSE's are really weak (I got 7 A's and 3 B's)

I believe Barts only want AAABBB (or better) so you'd be fine applying to Barts as they don't rank/score your GCSEs :smile: I got similar GCSEs and as long as you ace your A Levels/UKCAT and get adequate experience, you should be fine :smile:

Original post by ChescaK
Hello,

I wanted to ask approximately until when do we have to pay the full tuition fee? Would it be around mid-August, as school stars in mid-September?
Also, how much money would you say you spend a month?

If you're applying for student finance, then they pay the medical school directly. If not, and you want to pay in full, then I believe they ask for it in the first week. But you can also set up a payment plan where you pay in instalments throughout the year. Have a look at http://www.qmul.ac.uk/docs/tuitionfees/tuition-fee-regulations/166775.pdf for more info :smile:
Original post by Clubba
I believe Barts only want AAABBB (or better) so you'd be fine applying to Barts as they don't rank/score your GCSEs :smile: I got similar GCSEs and as long as you ace your A Levels/UKCAT and get adequate experience, you should be fine :smile:

Thank you, that's reassuring! Could you please recommend any other universities which do not rank GCSE's that much?:smile: I really wanted to go to Imperial but there's no way I'd get in:frown:
I was thinking maybe Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, but I'm not too sure where I'd have the best chances of getting an offer?
Reply 36
Original post by alevelstudentmed
Thank you, that's reassuring! Could you please recommend any other universities which do not rank GCSE's that much?:smile: I really wanted to go to Imperial but there's no way I'd get in:frown:
I was thinking maybe Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, but I'm not too sure where I'd have the best chances of getting an offer?

I'd have a look at the these two pages:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Reply 37
If you're applying for student finance, then they pay the medical school directly. If not, and you want to pay in full, then I believe they ask for it in the first week. But you can also set up a payment plan where you pay in instalments throughout the year. Have a look at http://www.qmul.ac.uk/docs/tuitionfees/tuition-fee-regulations/166775.pdf for more info :smile:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply regarding the tuition fees.
Can you give me a gauge of how much money do you spend as a student for going out, food etc, per month? :smile:
Original post by ChescaK

Hello,

Thanks for your reply regarding the tuition fees.
Can you give me a gauge of how much money do you spend as a student for going out, food etc, per month? :smile:

Hi, I'm going to jump in here and reclaim my thread! :smile:

The cost of living varies hugely depending on how scrupulous you are willing to be with your pennies! However, if I include the cost of food, clothes, transport, social events, going out, sports events etc. I imagine I spend about £60 a week or (roughly) £240 a month. That said, I have a friend who takes pride in his weekly budget of £14 so it will vary!

Please get in touch if you have any more questions!
Barts Love,
Will
Reply 39
Hi, I'm going to jump in here and reclaim my thread! :smile:

The cost of living varies hugely depending on how scrupulous you are willing to be with your pennies! However, if I include the cost of food, clothes, transport, social events, going out, sports events etc. I imagine I spend about £60 a week or (roughly) £240 a month. That said, I have a friend who takes pride in his weekly budget of £14 so it will vary!

Please get in touch if you have any more questions!
Barts Love,
Will

Thank you so much!! :smile:
As the accommodation is self-catering, there must be places in the campus or near campus where we can buy our meals, right?
Are they considered less expensive? How much do those meals cost approximately?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :P

Latest

Trending

Trending