The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Follow this link, it should take you to the new page http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/residences
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
hi, could anyone tell me on the pros and cons of hawthorns vs manor hall? I like them both but with the new system, i can onlly choose one.Thanks!
Reply 22
the new system's making it really hard to choose :frown:
Do people in the clifton halls tend to go to the pub/jcr more for nights out instead of clubs, or are they still clubby halls?

Also if anyone has any advice to help me pick between goldney, manor hall and clifton hill then it would be much appreciated!
Reply 23
Original post by nvbb
the new system's making it really hard to choose :frown:
Do people in the clifton halls tend to go to the pub/jcr more for nights out instead of clubs, or are they still clubby halls?

Also if anyone has any advice to help me pick between goldney, manor hall and clifton hill then it would be much appreciated!

also does anyone know what food's like at clifton hill (and how many meals a day)?
Original post by amu3
hi, could anyone tell me on the pros and cons of hawthorns vs manor hall? I like them both but with the new system, i can onlly choose one.Thanks!

From what I've gathered (which is quite a bit recently haha), Hawthorns is popular with couples and post grads, which may impact upon its social life in comparison to Manor Hall which is known to be very friendly and social. In addition, Manor Hall is larger than Hawthorns, so this may contribute more to its social life also.
in terms of location you can't beat hawthorns because it's essentially on the university campus, however Manor Hall is hardly far from the campus so location isn't a downfall for either.
It all depends on what you want from your accommodation - personally I would choose Manor Hall, however if you're more of the quiet type maybe Hawthorns is better for you. Can't say I know anything about room sizes/arrangements/catering options sorry!
Reply 25
Original post by nvbb
also does anyone know what food's like at clifton hill (and how many meals a day)?

Hiya, on the open day at CHH they said weekdays it's breakfast and lunch and weekends it's just brunch. The sample menus they had out looked really nice, just you're standard British home cooking (pasta, pies, currys, cottage pies etc.) and a fry up at weekends as well as fruit, yogurt etc. I remember being impressed that they even had a goats cheese tart one night??? Although I don't know if this was just to lure us in on the open day! I would say that the food wasn't particularly good if you're a vegetarian or wanting to live particularly on the healthy side but looked pretty 'normal'.
Hope that helps 😊😊
Reply 26
Original post by ellepop
Hiya, on the open day at CHH they said weekdays it's breakfast and lunch and weekends it's just brunch. The sample menus they had out looked really nice, just you're standard British home cooking (pasta, pies, currys, cottage pies etc.) and a fry up at weekends as well as fruit, yogurt etc. I remember being impressed that they even had a goats cheese tart one night??? Although I don't know if this was just to lure us in on the open day! I would say that the food wasn't particularly good if you're a vegetarian or wanting to live particularly on the healthy side but looked pretty 'normal'.
Hope that helps 😊😊

thanks it does :smile: although I dunno what you'd do for dinner other than have to go out and get it every night/get takeaway as there are no kitchens...
Reply 27
Original post by nvbb
thanks it does :smile: although I dunno what you'd do for dinner other than have to go out and get it every night/get takeaway as there are no kitchens...

There is kitchens 😊, although they are shared by a larger group of people there's fridges and ovens etc to prepare lunches and meals at weekends 😊
Reply 28
Original post by ellepop
There is kitchens 😊, although they are shared by a larger group of people there's fridges and ovens etc to prepare lunches and meals at weekends 😊

ohhh I had no idea, thanks
Reply 29
Original post by Frankyboy1
From what I've gathered (which is quite a bit recently haha), Hawthorns is popular with couples and post grads, which may impact upon its social life in comparison to Manor Hall which is known to be very friendly and social. In addition, Manor Hall is larger than Hawthorns, so this may contribute more to its social life also.
in terms of location you can't beat hawthorns because it's essentially on the university campus, however Manor Hall is hardly far from the campus so location isn't a downfall for either.
It all depends on what you want from your accommodation - personally I would choose Manor Hall, however if you're more of the quiet type maybe Hawthorns is better for you. Can't say I know anything about room sizes/arrangements/catering options sorry!

Thank you! I don't want anything too loud not too quiet either (if that makes sense). I think what I loved about hawthorns was the distance and the pretty rooms. But what you say about manor hall is true. Might go with that instead! Thank you!
Reply 30
HI! I have just firmed Bristol and was wondering if anyone has experience in Bristol's Halls of residence? When looking at the available accommodation I couldn't decide between The Hawthorns and Goldney Hall?
Out of interest, my second choice is Durdham Hall and third is Waverley House.
Which do you think is the most lively?
Reply 32
social aspects of hiatt baker self catered? is the social life good? im thinking of putting it as my first choice, with new bridewell as my second and waverley as my third. also just wondering if you get a choice between a flat or townhouse in hiatt baker as id rather have en suite?
Hey guys anyone know anything about Orchard heights, like the social aspects or anything..?
Reply 34
Hi,

I deferred my place so will be starting Bristol in September 2017- I'm not sure where to apply for accommodation...I'll be studying engineering and was thinking about Stoke Bishop. I think I'm going to apply for Hiatt Baker self catered and maybe Churchill as my second. Any thoughts on this/ recommendations? Does being a deferred applicant have any influence on likelihood of getting my first preference since i already have my grades and everything?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by arc05
Hi,

I deferred my place so will be starting Bristol in September 2017- I'm not sure where to apply for accommodation...I'll be studying engineering and was thinking about Stoke Bishop. I think I'm going to apply for Hiatt Baker self catered and maybe Churchill as my second. Any thoughts on this/ recommendations? Does being a deferred applicant have any influence on likelihood of getting my first preference since i already have my grades and everything?

Thank you :smile:

Hi, out of interest did u end up doing this, I’m applying this year and that would be my choice so would be interested to know what they’re like?
Original post by BethAH
Of course - the room sizes are okay, but a lot of the space that could be there is taken up by the beds as the beds are double (I would give you exact measurements but I can't remember!) - but the beds are nice and big. There is good storage - under the beds there is good storage space and there shelving and good sized wardrobes as well. From what I've experienced, depending on your floor and particular room, sizes and layout of rooms can vary slightly so be aware of that. Also, I am on quite a low down floor, and although this is convenient for going in and out of the building, it does mean that where my room is positioned it can be very dark at all times of the day, which isn't great.

But just to reiterate my previous points - be aware that as this is a new building, the amount of problems with the building is to be expected, but the staff aren't very good at helping with this. As already said, they can be very rude and obstructive whenever you have an issue, and due to this it has actually made my experience living in the building this year very unpleasant. If I had known this before moving in I would have much rather have lived in a different accomodation as opposed to The Courtrooms and to be honest I really wouldn't recommend it. I have friends in other accommodations who enjoy better facilities and also bigger room sizes, and love where they live, but the majority of people I know in my accomodation don't like living in The Courtrooms. I also know a lot of people who have moved out for various reasons.

Overall, the rooms are average, but don't trust the pictures on the websites - they use a special lense and take the images from certain angles to make the rooms look bigger than what they are. However, the service you get is poor, and the staff are rude and obnoxious. They seemed helpful when moving in and beforehand, but as soon as we moved in it was a different story - they treat us students as though we know nothing, and that we are always wrong when reporting anything wrong. It makes you feel very unwelcome. The amount of problems we have had this year with leaks, things falling off the wall, etc. has been too much, and not fixed for weeks (or at all) after asking. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to enjoy your first year living conditions!

do you know which floors had bigger rooms?

Latest

Trending

Trending