The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TercioOfParma
Then why claim that problems are relative then when I have provided a reason where they are not?

Yes, and I would say that somebody who kills themselves over something like that demonstrates a lack of will.

lol you know 'stubbing your toe' isn't a 'problem' i think anyone can see that, i've given you examples already.
and no it just shows how much it meant to them and what a dark place they must have been in to do that
Original post by Anonymous
You've obviously never had any experience with a mental illness. That's fine and dandy - but it also means that you're not able to empathise with suicidal people. It's understandable though that some people won't "get" it due to never having experienced it. Most people who attempt, or worse, complete suicide are people who have been through suicidal thoughts for months or years. It doesn't go away in a day like in your case.

I have had to live with mentally ill people my entire life, I don't think I have ever been though no. I have had the thoughts, so I can understand to an extent. I had thoughts like that for 2 years and I persisted and overcame without any interventions or anything. On the other hand though, I can barely remember what happened in those years beyond my feelings.
lol you know 'stubbing your toe' isn't a 'problem' i think anyone can see that, i've given you examples already.
and no it just shows how much it meant to them and what a dark place they must have been in to do that

Alright then, being stuck away from your SO for a very long time vs having your legs blown off by an IED then .
Reply 83
I know how powerful feelings are, but as I said, you resist regardless. Where do I suggest you can stop the feeling? You persist, thats the whole point of will.

But not everyone is able to resist the thoughts; this doesn't make them or anyone else cowardly. They're immensely powerful, they be can utterly overwhelming, they are every thought you have throughout the day. Suicide - if you're in that place, is the only way to make these thoughts stop.

We have this innate thing in all of us telling us that we should continue to live and overriding this takes a huge amount of mental strength. It's the exactly opposite to cowardice
(edited 7 years ago)
Some of the views in this thread are kind of worrying. Suicide isn't a cowardly act. A person is severely unwell when they get to that point, and without appropriate help and support they may end up following through, but that's not on them.

And also, I'd just like to say to anyone who is reading this and has lost someone to suicide and is angry at the person they've lost; it's okay to be angry if you are. It's okay if you're not. The thing is, with grief, it comes in all weird shapes and sizes. Some people don't feel much of anything towards one person, despite being quite close to them, yet for someone they don't know very well personally can be absolutely heart broken. Whatever you feel is valid.

As I said before, I was angry at my best friend for killing herself. Many reasons why - she left us behind, she didn't reach out for help, she was a hypocrite for telling me to "keep going" only a few weeks before taking her own life, etc. It's a perfectly normal reaction to be angry when you lose someone and losing someone to suicide is no different. However, that doesn't mean I didn't see her struggle, believe me I did. I knew how her mental health problems affected her. It's just sad she is no longer here, but equally I'm glad she's no longer suffering.

Reactions to things like losing someone you love to suicide are often confusing, intense and downright horrific; it takes a long time to heal from it. But the victims are not cowards in anyway shape or form. They were just ill people who felt absolutely trapped and saw no way out.
Original post by Deyesy
But not everyone is able to resist the thoughts; this doesn't make them or anyone else cowardly. They're immensely powerful, they be can utterly overwhelming, they are every thought you have throughout the day. Suicide - if you're in that place, is the only way to make these thoughts stop.

We have this innate thing in all of us telling us that we should continue to live and overriding this takes a huge amount of mental strength. It's the exactly opposite to cowardice

They are, but you should be able to resist. I know how they feel and I did, and lots of people do, probably the vast majority. You know what the best way to stop the thoughts is? Waiting, or better yet, acting actively against them.
Reply 86
It shows that they are afraid enough of life that they would rather have nothingness than to slog through until the good times come.

How many years do you have to slog Tercio before the good times ? Maybe you will understand the appeal of nothingness one day but hopefully not.
(edited 7 years ago)
My uncle and cousin (his son) both committed suicide and it was upsetting. I was very young when my uncle died, my mother then told me that he hanged himself and my cousin left exactly by the same way but I did not feel angry because I was myself in such position too, I tried overdosing pills. During my school years, I've been thinking about suicide every single day, would cry when alone etc. But never really hurt myself because I'm very scared of any pain, even needle injections, so I guess it saved me from committing a suicide :K:
Original post by INTit
How many years do you have to slog Tercio before the good times ? Maybe you will understand the appeal of nothingness one day.

I have done 2 years and came out fine. Many other people survive much longer. Those who commit suicide are in the minority.

Honestly, I think society would gain a lot if we were more stoic.
Reply 89
They are, but you should be able to resist. I know how they feel and I did, and lots of people do, probably the vast majority. You know what the best way to stop the thoughts is? Waiting, or better yet, acting actively against them.

1) Waiting means you're living with unbareable thoughts (something you just don't feel as though you can do anymore)

2) Acting actively against them isn't always possible. It's much easier to do and say this when you're not in that place mentally
Original post by Deyesy
1) Waiting means you're living with unbareable thoughts (something you just don't feel as though you can do anymore)

2) Acting actively against them isn't always possible. It's much easier to do and say this when you're not in that place mentally

Yes, and the idea is that you fight the thoughts inside on your own if you need to. Literally hundreds of thousands of people do It every day and succeed against their demons. We should make the idea of actually doing it as undesirable as possible on top of the exceedingly significant disadvantages that already exist.

Seems like you've solved the suicidal part of mental disorders! Well done. Hopefully we can stop suicide from being the leading killer of men under 35 now.
Seems like you've solved the suicidal part of mental disorders! Well done. Hopefully we can stop suicide from being the leading killer of men under 35 now.

Is it necessary to be sarcastic?
Reply 93
Yes, and the idea is that you fight the thoughts inside on your own if you need to. Literally hundreds of thousands of people do It every day and succeed against their demons. We should make the idea of actually doing it as undesirable as possible on top of the exceedingly significant disadvantages that already exist.

I'm not trying to make it seem a desirable way out but to attach negative connotations to the topic of suicide may mean people feel less likely to open up about how they're feeling - which as I've said to others; is a danger in itself.

Just because you've succeeded in fighting your demons before doesn't mean that the next battle is easier or that you know you'll be able to slog through the next fight. Suicidal thoughts/ideations and mental health in general just doesn't work like that - if was as easy as you were making out, it wouldn't be such a massive killer
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
I'm not trying to make it seem a desirable way out but to attach negative connotations to the topic of suicide may mean people feel less likely to open up about how they're feeling - which as I've said to others; is a danger in itself.

Just because you've succeeded in fighting your demons before doesn't mean that the next battle is easier or that you know you'll be able to slog through the next fight

Well, as I established in one of the first posts, thoughts of suicide are ok. I am talking about suicide itself.

I will overcome I can assure you.
Reply 95
Well, as I established in one of the first posts, thoughts of suicide are ok. I am talking about suicide itself.

I will overcome I can assure you.

You talk alot about you and how you've managed to overcome them but don't seem to realise that everyone else who has those type of thoughts isn't 'you' :/

Just to restate a point I just made; if was as easy as you were making out, it wouldn't be such a massive killer
Original post by Deyesy
You talk alot about you and how you've managed to overcome them but don't seem to realise that everyone else who has those type of thoughts isn't 'you' :/

Just to restate a point I just made; if was as easy as you were making out, it wouldn't be such a massive killer

I do realise that people are different. There are brave people and there are cowards too.

What I am making out is that cowardly people do it, and sure they may be innately less able or interpret the world in a different way from me, but It doesn't make them any less cowardly.
Reply 97
I do realise that people are different. There are brave people and there are cowards too.

What I am making out is that cowardly people do it, and sure they may be innately less able or interpret the world in a different way from me, but It doesn't make them any less cowardly.

I respectfully disagree with all of this and I'm still genuinely shocked you hold this belief having been in this position yourself. It isn't a cowardly way out. I'm not trying to glorify suicide in any way shape or form by saying this but you feel cowardly not being able to do it.
Original post by Deyesy
I respectfully disagree with all of this and I'm still genuinely shocked you hold this belief having been in this position yourself. It isn't a cowardly way out. I'm not trying to glorify suicide in any way shape or form by saying this but you feel cowardly not being able to do it.

I never said you were, we both agree that suicide is a terrible thing. As you said, people are different.
Reply 99
I never said you were, we both agree that suicide is a terrible thing. As you said, people are different.

It is a terrible thing and I think more should be done to help prevent it; saying it's a cowards way out isn't the way forward

Quick Reply

Latest