The Student Room Group

How the hell do you get rid of acne????

Sorry for the title but I am so TIRED of acne. I had a flawless face before I started A-Levels and since then it's been absolute hell! And it's getting worse each day! I have a lot of acne on my forehead and chest. Now it has started appearing on my back and moved down my face (at a rapid pace!).

Does anyone have any general remedies that work? Please don't give me the whole "see your doctor acne is specific etc etc" because I have seen my GP and I have creams and lotions, but they just do not work at all. They somewhat reduce the inflammation but more and more spots are appearing! I'm at a point where I look at myself and feel disgusting; I have such a destroyed, acne filled and dead face. It is honestly destroying my confidence and I honestly feel horrid. I eat relatively well and drink plenty of water so I have no idea what the cause might be????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I ordered something called black
Soap, it's supposed to make acne better, I hope it works on me lol, search pure.herbal on Instagram

" The black soap is a cleanser that removes dirt and dirty oils with in the pores that may cause any breakouts or skin problems such as acne, acne marks, spots, pigmentation, etc."

Posted from TSR Mobile
eat less chocolate.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry for the title but I am so TIRED of acne. I had a flawless face before I started A-Levels and since then it's been absolute hell! And it's getting worse each day! I have a lot of acne on my forehead and chest. Now it has started appearing on my back and moved down my face (at a rapid pace!).

Does anyone have any general remedies that work? Please don't give me the whole "see your doctor acne is specific etc etc" because I have seen my GP and I have creams and lotions, but they just do not work at all. They somewhat reduce the inflammation but more and more spots are appearing! I'm at a point where I look at myself and feel disgusting; I have such a destroyed, acne filled and dead face. It is honestly destroying my confidence and I honestly feel horrid. I eat relatively well and drink plenty of water so I have no idea what the cause might be????

If it's really severe then you should consider accutane.
Nothing from my GP worked for me so I was referred to a dermatologist and got prescribed accutane.
The best remedy that I've found for acne is sea buckthorn cream. I use it every night right before bed and the next day my face feels extremely moisturised, the blemishes/spots on my face have noticably reduced and the skin feels more 'plumped up' and youthful (if that makes sense!)

I seriously recommend it though :smile: I'd say it was preferable to buy a container with a pump as it will prevent oxygen from getting to the cream and it's more hygenic. But I hope this works for you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by am99
I ordered something called black
Soap, it's supposed to make acne better, I hope it works on me lol, search pure.herbal on Instagram

" The black soap is a cleanser that removes dirt and dirty oils with in the pores that may cause any breakouts or skin problems such as acne, acne marks, spots, pigmentation, etc."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
I use tea tree whenever I get spots and I make sure I wash and moisture my face every morning and night
Reply 7
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
The best remedy that I've found for acne is sea buckthorn cream. I use it every night right before bed and the next day my face feels extremely moisturised, the blemishes/spots on my face have noticably reduced and the skin feels more 'plumped up' and youthful (if that makes sense!)

I seriously recommend it though :smile: I'd say it was preferable to buy a container with a pump as it will prevent oxygen from getting to the cream and it's more hygenic. But I hope this works for you :smile:

Thank you so much! I'll definitively give it a look!
Reply 8
Original post by Blondie987
I use tea tree whenever I get spots and I make sure I wash and moisture my face every morning and night

Thanks for the help, I do that too though sadly that doesn't work very well for my skin.
Original post by mariam687
eat less chocolate.

My dermatologist said there is no correlation between eating chocolate and acne.

Acne is caused by overactive oil glands and something to do with the hair follicles (from what I remember)
Original post by Alex621
Nothing from my GP worked for me so I was referred to a dermatologist and got prescribed accutane.

I don't think mine is severe enough to get prescribed acutane, otherwise I'm sure my dr would have prescribed it/referred me to a dermatologist. My acne isn't large or cystic, they're just small/averaged size lumps but there are lots of them concentrated in one area making my skin look blotchy and just ew. Luckily concealer usually hides them pretty well, though thats probably not the best thing to put on irritated skin...
Original post by AthiaKarim
My dermatologist said there is no correlation between eating chocolate and acne.

Acne is caused by overactive oil glands and something to do with the hair follicles (from what I remember)

I was about to say, chocolate it my guilty pleasure. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Original post by Alex621

I took roaccutane too! It's so amazing OP, it's the only thing that actually worked (I suffer from severe acne). There are some side affects- I experienced extreme dryness on my hands, face, even my eyeballs haha but you just need to take care of yourself! If you don't like the idea of roaccutane, try chemical skin peels OP
I was about to say, chocolate it my guilty pleasure. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Haha same! I got annoyed when everyone at home kept telling me to stop eating chocolate! But saying that- a healthy diet is key (but chocolate deffo doesn't cause acne:tongue:)OP, if you'd like, you can pm me for more help? I suffer from severe acne too, and I know how awful it could make you feel!
(edited 8 years ago)
iv'e read that apparently red light therapy is supposed to be really good for the skin but haven't tried it yet. Also the really cheaper option for a fresh face first thing in the morning is applying natural yogurt on your face like a face mask and leave it on for about 5-10 mins.Works amazingly as it freshens your face clears up any dirt that clogs up the pores.Also try dabbing your face with tissue paper instead of using a towel , it feels a lot more hygienic to me.
Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b
iv'e read that apparently red light therapy is supposed to be really good for the skin but haven't tried it yet. Also the really cheaper option for a fresh face first thing in the morning is applying natural yogurt on your face like a face mask and leave it on for about 5-10 mins.Works amazingly as it freshens your face clears up any dirt that clogs up the pores.Also try dabbing your face with tissue paper instead of using a towel , it feels a lot more hygienic to me.

Does the natural yoghurt remedy actually work? I'm assuming you've tried it? The tissue paper sounds like a good idea, I'll try that out. Thank you.
Does the natural yoghurt remedy actually work? I'm assuming you've tried it? The tissue paper sounds like a good idea, I'll try that out. Thank you.

yeah it does. I wash it off with cold water and my skin honestly feels really fresh. i do it at least once a week because i find my skin gets used to stuff quite quickly so i swap my routine every so often.
Original post by mariam687
eat less chocolate.

The reason chocolate gives people spots is because 90% of chocolate is 50% sugar.

If there's one thing you can do with acne it's quit sugary foods.
Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b

You could also apply extra virgin olive oil. It surely makes sense to try olive oil, yogurt etc. before harsh products.
I had severe acne & i'd recommend Duac as mines gone much better now:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest