The Student Room Group

Isn't having a racial preference racist?

I don't see how people can say they find a person from a certain race more attractive. I understand why but I struggle to see how this is based on other factors apart from where they come from and skin colour.
It can't be down to things like personality and characteristics because this varies from person to person. So if you say you're more attracted to white females for example then yes this is your preference but it is also racist. No?
Or am I going about this the wrong way?
Saw a thread about an issue kind of related to this and began thinking deeply.

Scroll to see replies

we all have all sorts of preferences for a partner.

this is the person we are choosing to spend the rest of our life with, so i believe that forms of 'discrimination' are acceptable here where in other regards they would not be (e.g. certain heights are a big thing for many girls, but in a job/education market to discriminate on such grounds would be unthinkable).
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Yes. Essentially you are expressing preference for one race over the other, implying that one race is inferior and not worthy of consideration.

Having a 'preference' for x over y does not entail refusing to even consider y (e.g. where x is not available/attainable).
Original post by Anonymous
I don't see how people can say they find a person from a certain race more attractive. I understand why but I struggle to see how this is based on other factors apart from where they come from and skin colour.
It can't be down to things like personality and characteristics because this varies from person to person. So if you say you're more attracted to white females for example then yes this is your preference but it is also racist. No?
Or am I going about this the wrong way?
Saw a thread about an issue kind of related to this and began thinking deeply.

Nah. nothing racist about it. I am not really attracted to dark skin African/Asian people although they could be of the best character and intelligence. It's not racist at all. I'm light skin brown btw.
In my opinion there is a very fine line.
When I say I 'prefer X' it just means 'in my experience, I've found X more attractive'.
It's like a racist saying "I want this country to be all white" and then finally coming round to accepting that it will never happen.

Does his later acquiescence excuse his racist uttering in the first instance?

That is a false equivalence.

Preferring x to y does not entail refusing to consider y, it just means that in the overall assessment y will be disadvantaged in that one respect.
you can't help who you are attracted to. But this is something i don't get, if a person is attractive then why does race have to come in? why is it to some people that race is barrier as to whether they find someone attractive or not? i just don't get it
Only considering y when x becomes unattainable, in a racial setting, is racist.

It's akin to settling for second-best, which is exercising some kind of racial/cultural superiority by elevating one race into prime position, the very definition of racism.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying.

R's preferences:
- Black male
- Funny
- 6'+

x = black, not funny, 5'7
y = white, funny, 6'1

Using my logic, R would deem y a better match for his preferences (assuming equal weighting to the three preferences mentioned); x's skin colour doesn't make him the automatic choice for R.

Also, is the logical conclusion of your statement: "expressing preference for one race over the other, implying that one race is superior and only worthy of consideration" not that bisexual men that prefer women over men (for example) are sexist?
Yes it is, technically.
people are allowed to find whoever they want attractive.
From what we know -

Intentionally refusing to engage with my post leaves open the possibilities that you do so because you choose to, or because you lack the ability to do otherwise.

An interesting, if desperate, strategy.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't see how people can say they find a person from a certain race more attractive.

Do people really think things like this?
Why on earth would being attracted to one race more be racist?! That is such an utterly, utterly ridiculous notion - you can't help who you are attracted to. I'm attracted to black females more than white females, in my experience... so - I'm racist? For being attracted to one race more than the other?

You're not saying "I think X race is prettier than Y race" - you are saying who you are attracted to. There is nothing racist about who you're attracted to.

Racism is, by definition, stating one race is superior to another. Being attracted to Y race more than X race isn't you saying Y is the better race - just that that specific look is what you are attracted to. Just like some are attracted to blondes, or tall people, etc.

It's like saying "Oh, you are a gay male, therefore you are sexist, as you prefer males to females". It's who you are attracted to; you don't choose that.
****ing hell this is ridiculous.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
'Tis a grey area.

I wouldn't have a problem with people having a minor preference, but to exclude other races would be racist.
Is having a sexual preference sexist?
Depends on your reason. If you just happen to find one race more attractive then fair enough. If it's because *insert racist stereotype* you like/don't like them then it's probably racist. Or if you put down other races as being ugly all the time.
Original post by Novascope
Is having a sexual preference sexist?

prsom...

lol
Original post by TorpidPhil
prsom...

lol

Ohh look at you talking to me. Are we acquainted again?
Original post by Novascope
Ohh look at you talking to me. Are we acquainted again?

Ugh, I don't even remember what happened last time so I'm just going to say I've totally forgot because that's true.

So, I guess we are???

Or not I suppose - depends on how you're using acquainted really.
All I want is just a girl who is also about that :dumbells: life. :sigh:
Couples that make :dumbells: together, stay together! :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending