The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds or Bristol University

I have received offers from both for a Bsc in Biochemistry, both AAA, but I cannot choose between the two. I really liked both when I visited. I've got the impression that Bristol is more prestigious and maybe more respected by employers, but they don't offer study abroad and the living costs are more expensive. Leeds do offer study abroad, but is it as well respected? The living costs at Leeds are much cheaper and I've heard the clubs/societies/student union are much better at Leeds. I am torn between the two as there are positives and negatives of both, any advice from anyone who has studied/lived in either?
I am in the exact same boat, received offers from Leeds and Bristol University to study Biology.

Having spoke with friends/family/employers, they all advised that Leeds is equally as employable/prestigious as Bristol in terms of careers.
For the reasons you stated, I decided to go with Leeds, I think I will enjoy the city far more.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I am leaning more towards Leeds at the moment, thanks for the advice!
I did an undergrad degree at Bristol. Loved it, employers like it too, and it's ranked significantly higher in the biosciences league tables than Leeds, if you value league tables.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Hii i am in a similar boat with you guysI have offers from both leeds and Bristol and i am unsure of whih one to definitely firm.

If someone from bristol or leeds could give some advice on which one to choose and why, that would be amazing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi! I currently study at Leeds and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

From what I know, Bristol is more prestigious than Leeds, so if this is what you want it makes ore sense to go to Bristol. Its Biosciences department ranks higher in the league tables I've checked. I don't know what our Biochemistry course is like, so I can't vouch for it.

To be able to study abroad, you'd have to get a 65% in your first year, so if that tips the decision you'd have to make sure you can get that.

There's a lot of focus on career networking events and employability opportunities, so you could catch up through being able to sell yourself as a candidate, but I don't know our employability stats for specific careers.

I can't comment on the living costs. I do think our student union is better, it's one of the best in the country. Some people really end up involved in their student union, and some don't, it depends what's important to you. Your students union will give you societies to get involved with, extra support on things like employability and housing, and put on events.

Overall, choose based on what's important to you, and look at whether Leeds or Bristol better fulfils that list. :smile: Both Leeds and Bristol have some great aspects.

Original post by LewisCapper
I am in the exact same boat, received offers from Leeds and Bristol University to study Biology.

Having spoke with friends/family/employers, they all advised that Leeds is equally as employable/prestigious as Bristol in terms of careers.
For the reasons you stated, I decided to go with Leeds, I think I will enjoy the city far more.

Good luck at Leeds! I currently do Biology in a Joint Honours degree, I can't say I'd recommend my course here.
Original post by carehow
Hi! I currently study at Leeds and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

From what I know, Bristol is more prestigious than Leeds, so if this is what you want it makes ore sense to go to Bristol. Its Biosciences department ranks higher in the league tables I've checked. I don't know what our Biochemistry course is like, so I can't vouch for it.

To be able to study abroad, you'd have to get a 65% in your first year, so if that tips the decision you'd have to make sure you can get that.

There's a lot of focus on career networking events and employability opportunities, so you could catch up through being able to sell yourself as a candidate, but I don't know our employability stats for specific careers.

I can't comment on the living costs. I do think our student union is better, it's one of the best in the country. Some people really end up involved in their student union, and some don't, it depends what's important to you. Your students union will give you societies to get involved with, extra support on things like employability and housing, and put on events.

Overall, choose based on what's important to you, and look at whether Leeds or Bristol better fulfils that list. :smile: Both Leeds and Bristol have some great aspects.

Good luck at Leeds! I currently do Biology in a Joint Honours degree, I can't say I'd recommend my course here.

Why would you not recommend the course? Any pros and cons, id really appreciate it if you could give a response.
Reply 7
Original post by LewisCapper
Why would you not recommend the course? Any pros and cons, id really appreciate it if you could give a response.

It's not a good course at Leeds if you want to engage with your subject, imo. If you just want to get a degree, and you can take or leave personalised feedback, it's a good choice. However:
-Most of your contact hours (in first year, at least - and from talking to my second year friends, in second year two) will be in lectures with 100-300 other students.
-Most assessments are multiple choice marked by a computer so there's no feedback.
-There's very little support in writing lab reports (my PhD friend who marks them agrees Biology undergraduates here have notoriously terrible lab report writing skills!).
-There's very few opportunities put on by the university to engage with the subject outside of your course (there are some great general employability specific events, but not many biology specific opportunities).
-Whilst there is lab work, it's also with a lot of other students, and demonstrators are hard to flag down and can usually only give a minute or so of feedback.

However, most of these points are gripes about the feedback, whether you'll have the same experience of it depends on if you value it. Otherwise, it's a well organised enough course that covers the fundamentals of Biology.
(edited 8 years ago)
go to bristol

Quick Reply

Latest