The Student Room Group

How the hell do you get rid of acne????

Scroll to see replies

do this face mask:

1tsp turmeric powder ( for all the asians out there : haldi )
1tsp honey (preferably manuka)
1tsp-2tsp milk

apply to face using blush brush - u can use cheap ones

leave on for 15-20 mins but not longer as turmeric powder stains skin

wash face
you could also do this:

1tbsp nutmeg (or cinnamon if ur skin isnt sensitive because it burns)
1tbsp honey
1TSP milk

leave for 20 mins
Original post by Maidenhair
You could also apply extra virgin olive oil. It surely makes sense to try olive oil, yogurt etc. before harsh products.

Won't oil just clog up the pores and make your skin feel horrible in addition to the excess sebum?
Original post by Ayaz789
I had severe acne & i'd recommend Duac as mines gone much better now:smile:

Thank you I'll definitely check it out!!
Accutane is still the most effective option, problem is that the NHS are always behind on current research and still tend to overprescribe it in terms of doses. Evidence shows that 30mg is pretty much the cutoff point for diminishing returns i.e. if you take more than that then you get more side effects and no extra benefit. So be wary of that.

I've been self prescribing for a good while now and 30mg every other day cleared my skin right up, now I take it twice a week just as a maintenance dose which keeps me pretty clear with no side effects.
Original post by chocolatexo
do this face mask:

1tsp turmeric powder ( for all the asians out there : haldi )
1tsp honey (preferably manuka)
1tsp-2tsp milk

apply to face using blush brush - u can use cheap ones

leave on for 15-20 mins but not longer as turmeric powder stains skin

wash face

I would but I don't use animal products, sorry! Thanks for the reply though!
Original post by WoodyMKC
Accutane is still the most effective option, problem is that the NHS are always behind on current research and still tend to overprescribe it in terms of doses. Evidence shows that 30mg is pretty much the cutoff point for diminishing returns i.e. if you take more than that then you get more side effects and no extra benefit. So be wary of that.

I've been self prescribing for a good while now and 30mg every other day cleared my skin right up, now I take it twice a week just as a maintenance dose which keeps me pretty clear with no side effects.

Can you even get accutane without prescription though? Sorry I've just never used it before so I'm clueless. I've read that it has some bad side effects though.
Original post by Anonymous
Can you even get accutane without prescription though? Sorry I've just never used it before so I'm clueless. I've read that it has some bad side effects though.

You can, not over the counter though :lol: Easiest way is just to get it prescribed but, given that I train at a "hardcore" gym, know the local steroid dealer (don't use them myself atm) who sells accutane as acne is a common side effect of steroids... yeah, very easy for me to get hold of.

The side effects can be hideous. Dry flakey skin that's sensitive to sunlight and makes you feel like Dracula; scabbed inner nostrils and lips that crack and bleed; severe depression... just some of what I've experienced. However, these side effects happened when the dermatologist put me on 60mg a day. FAR too much and the acne came back.
I tried 30mg a day once I started self prescribing it was still too much for me but might be fine for someone else. 30mg every other day though was mild in terms of side effects and really did the trick.
Won't oil just clog up the pores and make your skin feel horrible in addition to the excess sebum?

It's not just excess sebum that causes acne; bacteria is involved. Olive oil is pretty good as an antibacterial agent.

You could also do things like, rub green tea on your skin. Or ginger tea, or any tea really. *After it's cooled down, haha*

I never had acne but I had seb derm, one thing I learned is try teas and oils (nothing I wouldn't eat), and try everything and be eccentric and **** dignity.
Honestly to be completely clear it's just a waiting game. You will grow out of it in a few months or maybe a few years. Medication and alternative therapies may help but for me personally it didn't and I just grew out of it.

I tried 30mg a day once I started self prescribing it was still too much for me but might be fine for someone else. 30mg every other day though was mild in terms of side effects and really did the trick.

Would 10mg or 5mg be enough to remove acne over face and body?
Would 10mg or 5mg be enough to remove acne over face and body?

I've never seen 5 or 10mg tablets mate, could be wrong but I think they generally come in 20 or 30mg. 10mg is probably a bit weak anyway.
Reply 32
I remember when I used to have severe acne:h:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've never seen 5 or 10mg tablets mate, could be wrong but I think they generally come in 20 or 30mg. 10mg is probably a bit weak anyway.

How long did your dosage of Roaccutane take, to see results? i. e. Clearing of acne.
Best home made remedy for getting rid of acne, zits, scars:
1. Get an egg.
2. Pour the white bit onto a small bowl.
3. Whisk for 3 minutes.
4. Apply to your zits.
5. Repeat 4 times then leave it on for 20 min and rinse off then apply moisturizing cream.

Do this every morning and every night for a week and when you see results you owe me a rep 😌
(edited 8 years ago)
It's really difficult as it seems different things work for different people so I think there's a lot of trial and error involved. What worked for me was AHA creams/peels, reducing my dairy intake but generally increasing my protein intake, taking an MSM supplement + a multivitamin and only using mineral make up (Bare Minerals).

Keep up the good work with the good diet and water intake :smile: I'm sure you'll get there.
Sorry for the title but I am so TIRED of acne. I had a flawless face before I started A-Levels and since then it's been absolute hell! And it's getting worse each day! I have a lot of acne on my forehead and chest. Now it has started appearing on my back and moved down my face (at a rapid pace!).

Does anyone have any general remedies that work? Please don't give me the whole "see your doctor acne is specific etc etc" because I have seen my GP and I have creams and lotions, but they just do not work at all. They somewhat reduce the inflammation but more and more spots are appearing! I'm at a point where I look at myself and feel disgusting; I have such a destroyed, acne filled and dead face. It is honestly destroying my confidence and I honestly feel horrid. I eat relatively well and drink plenty of water so I have no idea what the cause might be????

Did the doctor give you any antibiotics? Maybe it's your diet? Milk or cheese based products are usually the culprits in terms of diet.

So I'd say get antibiotics + stop drinking/eating diary based products + never let your skin get too oily (ie wash often as in 2 times or more per day).

I should stop misreading these as something else :rofl: ....

Whatever it takes, right babe? :smile:
Reply 38
You probably won't like my solution but try eating vegan, or cutting dairy out. It has worked really well for me, and I don't wake up with a really oily face anymore.
Also if you get an abundance of spots in a particular place, for instance your forehead, google it as it could indicate if something is wrong within your body or if you're not getting enough of a nutrient or something.
But it could be stress as A-levels=stress.
Well if it was fine until A levels, then maybe it started because of stress/getting less sleep. Stress can cause you to break out, and if you're not getting sleep, your skin won't be able to heal properly. Also, the creams you've currently been using will not work unless you're exfoliating and washing your face first.

I'd suggest using something like salicylic acid or glycolic acid to exfoliate, then maybe something like a benzoyl peroxide cream. You said you've already gone to your GP. What exactly have they given you?

I went to a dermatologist about my acne, and am currently on antibiotics 2x day, and have been prescribed 2 creams (one for the morning, one for the evening) called Duac and differin. I apply the creams after using an exfoliating tea tree oil wash, then put on a moisturiser, then sunscreen (very important because exfoliating strips down your skin and makes it vulnerable to UV). I've had good results so far.

Remember that you can't expect to see results right away. A new regimen can take up to 3 months before you start seeing a difference :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest