The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deyesy
It is a terrible thing and I think more should be done to help prevent it; saying it's a cowards way out isn't the way forward

Well, making it a shameful act during the mediaeval age seemed to deter people very strongly, and they suffered through far worse hardships on average than people in the west do now.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Well, making it a shameful act during the mediaeval age seemed to deter people very strongly, and they suffered through far worse hardships on average than people in the west do now.

So you're for adding more stigma to an act which is already shrouded in it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
So you're for adding more stigma to an act which is already shrouded in it already?

Yes, the act, but not the thought.
Yes, the act, but not the thought.

That would mean going backwards; not forwards though? Surely the way forward is to make it acceptable and okay to talk about openly, to the point people don't keep things to themselves?
Original post by Deyesy
That would mean going backwards; not forwards though? Surely the way forward is to make it acceptable and okay to talk about openly, to the point people don't keep things to themselves?

But I am not saying suppress the thoughts of suicide, what I am saying is to make it very clear it is ok to have these thoughts and to discuss them. However, if you actually do It there needs to be some form of a very strong deterrent in addition to the ultimate pre-existing one.

Going forwards or backwards doesn't matter provided it is the most effective means of dealing with a problem.
But I am not saying suppress the thoughts of suicide, what I am saying is to make it very clear it is ok to have these thoughts and to discuss them. However, if you actually do It there needs to be some form of a very strong deterrent in addition to the ultimate pre-existing one.

Going forwards or backwards doesn't matter provided it is the most effective means of dealing with a problem.

Out of pure interest; would you be in favour of making suicide illegal again?
Original post by Deyesy
Out of pure interest; would you be in favour of making suicide illegal again?

It would entirely depend on how government decided to punish somebody who is dead.
I know 4 people who attempted it in different ways, I don't feel anything towards it.

Maybe there is something wrong with me...
It would entirely depend on how government decided to punish somebody who is dead.

I have absolutely no words. By making it illegal, you'd push it underground, you'd make people do it in secret...
Original post by Anonymous
how would you feel is someone who you knew committed suicide or attempted?

I think that we own our lives and this is one of our most basic human rights we should have the right to end it.

Most of the time its the people saying the person who committed suicide that are selfish, we need to look more positively at the situation and be grateful for all the memories we had with them.

We have no right to expect people to live for us just because it would make us happy and make our lives easier, noone should have to suffer like that to fulfill another person's wishes.
What? Why would I feel angry? :s-smilie:
Original post by Deyesy
I have absolutely no words. By making it illegal, you'd push it underground, you'd make people do it in secret...

They're dead in the end regardless, I think it would likely be worth it since It could be enough to make some reconsider, and ultimately we want to help people and save lives.
They're dead in the end regardless, I think it would likely be worth it since It could be enough to make some reconsider, and ultimately we want to help people and save lives.

Stigma needs to be reduced not increased to save lives
Original post by Anonymous
how would you feel is someone who you knew committed suicide or attempted?

You know what yeah I think I would be a bit. I know it wouldn't really be the right thing to feel since you have to be really desperate and suffering a lot to consider it and it isn't really their fault if they're in a state like that, but it's such a traumatic thing to know that I think my emotions would run all over the place and i'm sure anger would mix in there at some point. Emotions are odd things that don't always work logically and sometimes when you're really emotional random emotions show themselves where they probably shouldn't.

To most people that choice to do something to harm yourself is just crazy and not really comprehendable so it takes a lot of processing to come to terms with somebody you know making that sort of choice. I guess if you didn't understand how they were feeling it would actually be kinda easy to get at least a little angry or disappionted at them. Hopefully that feeling would pass soon as you came to terms with it.
Original post by Deyesy
Stigma needs to be reduced not increased to save lives

As I said, make it abundantly clear the thought is ok and encourage strongly to make them talk. Its like with drug addicts, they go to rehab and get methadone but drugs like heroin are still very illegal.

I would say deal with people with suicidal thoughts, put them through the mental health system but also have laws against suicide that act as a deterrent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I said, make it abundantly clear the thought is ok and encourage strongly to make them talk. Its like with drug addicts, they go to rehab and get methadone but drugs like heroin are still very illegal.

I would say deal with people with suicidal thoughts, put them through the mental health system but also have laws against suicide that act as a deterrent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whether you like it or not; the thoughts are intrinsically linked with the act. You illegalise the act, you'll increase stigma surrouding the thoughts
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Whether you like it or not; the thoughts are associated with the act. You illegalise the act, you'll increase stigma surrouding the thoughts

Assuming what you are saying is true, then regardless then the stigma will still be enough to prevent some people from doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fire_and_ice
It's a selfish, cowardly and greedy escape. Sounds horrible, but it's the reality. Everyone goes through phases of depression at one point in their life, and it takes time to reach the end of that bridge successfully.

The best thing to do is to find something to live for. Once you've figured out what that thing is (it's better if it's a loved one), you'll distract yourself enough to bring yourself out of those thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question, I'd feel devastated, but more ashamed of myself because I couldn't help the loved one in overcoming their temporary problem.

How could you say that? Selfish, cowardly, greedy?

How do you know how much pain they were going through? You're absolutely right. We all go through depression at some point. But some more than others. The one thing we can't physically do is actually be in someone's shoes and feel what they are feeling. How unfair of you to just judge how bad their depression was just based on how bad your depression was?

We're all human beings with different experiences. We're all seperate, unique individuals. Our human emotional spectrum is way too wide for you to say something like that.

I personally haven't lost anyone to suicide. But if someone close to me did go that way, i wouldn't feel angry. I think i'd just feel sad that someone i loved was in so much pain that they had to end their lives. I have no idea why people take suicide so personally and think it's all about them when it's not.
Original post by queenofswords
You can't expect people to live for your sake.

This!
Assuming what you are saying is true, then regardless then the stigma will still be enough to prevent some people from doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But more lives could be saved by reducing this stigma

Quick Reply

Latest