The Student Room Group

HSPS at Cambridge?

I've quite frankly let myself go in my GCSEs getting 1A*, 3As and 6Bs. Recently, I came across Cambridge offering a course called Human, Social and Political Sciences and I instantly became interested in what the course had to offer. My teachers and I have a good feeling that I am capable of achieving 1A*, 2As and a B at A2 (currently studying: maths, politics. economics and history). Should I make Cambridge one of my five choices or should I wait and apply in another lifetime?
Certainly make this one of your options.
Reply 2
Original post by William Pitt
Certainly make this one of your options.

Thank you very much
Reply 3
Original post by kt21
I've quite frankly let myself go in my GCSEs getting 1A*, 3As and 6Bs. Recently, I came across Cambridge offering a course called Human, Social and Political Sciences and I instantly became interested in what the course had to offer. My teachers and I have a good feeling that I am capable of achieving 1A*, 2As and a B at A2 (currently studying: maths, politics. economics and history). Should I make Cambridge one of my five choices or should I wait and apply in another lifetime?

Without AS, you'll need to make sure your teachers write in your reference why exactly they believe you to be capable of achieving those high results, because your GCSE results won't be competitive with Cambridge. But if you have a good reference, good ps and do well at interview you should be in with a chance, and you have four other choices so if you don't get in to Cambridge you'll have other options, so I'd definitely give it a go!
Reply 4
Original post by kt21

Original post by BB8
Without AS, you'll need to make sure your teachers write in your reference why exactly they believe you to be capable of achieving those high results, because your GCSE results won't be competitive with Cambridge. But if you have a good reference, good ps and do well at interview you should be in with a chance, and you have four other choices so if you don't get in to Cambridge you'll have other options, so I'd definitely give it a go!

OP, are you taking ASs in your linear subjects? It might strengthen your application given your slightly lower than average (for Cambridge) GCSEs. Although it's worth noting that Cambridge really isn't that concerned by GCSEs, it's just they like to see evidence of a strong academic trajectory. So your reference, and possibly ASs can help with that.

There will also be the new Admissions Assessment so that's another chance for you to show Cambridge you are academically strong.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/human-social-and-political-sciences

Bottom line: it's worth applying - the only way to be sure you won't get in is by not putting Cambridge on your UCAS...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
OP, are you taking ASs in your linear subjects? It might strengthen your application given your slightly lower than average (for Cambridge) GCSEs. Although it's worth noting that Cambridge really isn't that concerned by GCSEs, it's just they like to see evidence of a strong academic trajectory. So your reference, and possibly ASs can help with that.

There will also be the new Admissions Assessment so that's another chance for you to show Cambridge you are academically strong.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/human-social-and-political-sciences

Bottom line: it's worth applying - the only way to be sure you won't get in is by not putting Cambridge on your UCAS...

I have ASs in maths and politics
Reply 6
Original post by kt21
I have ASs in maths and politics

Ah yes Politics is not reforming until next year. So you'll have UMS for both.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Ah yes Politics is not reforming until next year. So you'll have UMS for both.

My school along with most others goes through a selection process before allowing some of the applicants to apply for Oxbridge. However, for me, due to my GCSEs, I would be turned down straight away. How could I take the admissions test without doing it through the school?
Reply 8
Original post by kt21
My school along with most others goes through a selection process before allowing some of the applicants to apply for Oxbridge. However, for me, due to my GCSEs, I would be turned down straight away. How could I take the admissions test without doing it through the school?

You would need your school's support anyway, they would have to write your reference.

Tell your school that GCSEs are not so important for Cambridge. There's plenty of quotes by Cambridge ATs on TSR stating that.

If your school agrees that you are on target to achieve the typical requirement for your course then there no reason why they shouldn't let you apply.

It's your application, not theirs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
You would need your school's support anyway, they would have to write your reference.

Tell your school that GCSEs are not so important for Cambridge. Theres plenty of quotes by Cambridge ATs on TSR stating that.

If your school agrees that you are on target to achieve the typical requirement for your course then there no reason why they shouldn't let you apply.

It's your application, not theirs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for helping me out. I have to take mock exams next week so hopefully I can consolidate that I am capable
Reply 10
Original post by kt21
Thank you very much for helping me out. I have to take mock exams next week so hopefully I can consolidate that I am capable

No problem, and good luck!
Original post by kt21

You would need your schools support to apply, but it is unacceptable for them to screen applicants before 'allowing' them to apply. It is your choice where to apply and whilst the school has a responsibility to encourage realistic aspirations, if you're on track for A*AA then your aspiration are reasonable. Send them my way if they cause any hassle! 01223 768877/01223 338223 or [email protected]!

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of something similar, and generally schools don't always have the best handle on what we're actually looking for in candidates. We'd rather we had lots of applicants and then we can sort out the best for our courses than have an artificially limited pool.
Reply 12
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
You would need your schools support to apply, but it is unacceptable for them to screen applicants before 'allowing' them to apply. It is your choice where to apply and whilst the school has a responsibility to encourage realistic aspirations, if you're on track for A*AA then your aspiration are reasonable. Send them my way if they cause any hassle! 01223 768877/01223 338223 or [email protected]!

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of something similar, and generally schools don't always have the best handle on what we're actually looking for in candidates. We'd rather we had lots of applicants and then we can sort out the best for our courses than have an artificially limited pool.

This.

It makes me angry to see schools doing this. I can understand them not wanting enormous amounts of people to need interview preparation, references completed earlier and the various other things that schools deem necessary when their students apply to Oxbridge. However, the notion that they won't "allow" someone to apply is ridiculous. If my child was being treated as such I would be furious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending