The Student Room Group

How would you rate the education you have received?

Scroll to see replies

Primary: wasn't exactly the best school in the area but teachers (on the whole) really cared and actually made an effort.

Secondary: absolutely awful - new headteacher came in and screwed us all over, teachers don't want to be there and keep on leaving, the quality of teaching and learning is atrocious, no one ever gets punished for anything, higher ability students are pressurised unnecessarily in the hope that the school will get good results for once.

College: hopefully better...
Ok for average student, terrible for high-achievers.
I'm in late twenties now and a Post-grad and I would say I'm fairly happy with my education to this point. I've learnt recently a good education isn't about telling you the answer, it's about empowering you and giving you the tools to find it yourself.

Unfortunately for a long time I thought it was about being told what was going on and lectured too- that THAT was a good education. When you enter the real world and life- you soon realised being empowered goes a long way.
Reply 43
Primary - Good: School isn't the best but the teachers were good. Got Level 4-5 in my SATs IIRC.
Secondary - OK (Just below poor): Management of school is deteriorating as some new teachers are awful because they can't teach us properly. E.g my Maths teacher
Primary: Very bad, so I read books and then took an entrance exam to get into private school, luckily my dad upped his hours to 13 a day. Then my new school was awesome.
Secondary: Very good, my teachers were v helpful. I learned a hell of a lot of stuff at school in things like climbing, water polo, CCF (I now teach CCF)
However, it was a lot of work, and I started pulling all-nighters to complete my work in year 9.
Sixth form: Much the same, my only complaint would be that I have almost no free time anymore, and I have to reduce my sleep to finish work, including lots of all-nighters.
Uni?: Can't be much harder than now, especially considering how hard Classical studies is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Primary : Good
Secondary : Going good so far got 2 gcse's and got an A* & B :biggrin:
Primary School: Very good. The teachers were engaging, they knew how to cater to different students' needs. I was always pushed and challenged when I found work a little too easy

Secondary School: OK but more on the poor side. I loved many of my teachers but they simply had too much to handle (more than 5 classes filled with badly behaved kids). I taught myself nearly everything anyway.

Sixth Form: Much better, good. But again, I practically teach myself everything anyway.

University: Well the one I'm hoping to go to is at the very top of the country so hopefully I'll have a nice experience :moon:
My undergraduate degree served it's purpose and got me a good job. But I'm glad I didn't end up doing a Masters in the same subject as it would have been a waste of money and time.
Primary: Okay
Secondary: Poor
6th form: Is better than secondary but wouldn't call it excellent.
Reply 49
Primary: Okay
Secondary: Good
University: Poor
I'm in year 13 now, and having a grammar school education for the past 7 years, I can only say that it has been average. The only reason as to why grammar schools do 'better' than most is due to the amount of work the individual puts in. Teachers offer barely any help, and their standard of teaching is fairly low.
I had the misfortune of attending primary and secondary school as the smallest and youngest kid in the class. You can imagine what this set me up for! Couple this with the universal attitude of all the staff and faculty at all my schools that: "Kids have to work out bullying for themselves", and you get the picture. I was lucky to survive the experience. It was probably something like doing the equivalent amount of time in a penitentiary as a juvie, surrounded by adults. Undergrad college was academically something like an extension of high school - about 1.5 years were courses that were applicable to my course [electrical engineering]. Graduate school was fine. Challenging courses, that got progressively more challenging as i went along. I was lucky to get my master's degree at the end. Hard work pays off! Cheers.
Original post by JTran38
Primary - Good: School isn't the best but the teachers were good. Got Level 4-5 in my SATs IIRC.
Secondary - OK (Just below poor): Management of school is deteriorating as some new teachers are awful because they can't teach us properly. E.g my Maths teacher

On 'this side of the pond', many 'teaching' maths are not up to the task. Sorry to hear that is true on your side too. You see few women in engineering. I think this is because gals are not as aggressive as boys. If a primary student can't understand something, the kids (and rents) are programmed to think that it's the student's fault - not that the teacher isn't doing the job. There [unfortunately] no 'ringers' in the class to do quality control on the teacher. I have taught [at the adult ed level], and several times they have run 'ringers' through my classes to check me. I didn't mind - although i managed to spot them in 3 or 4 class meetings (usually by the questions they would ask, and their comments in lecture). Here, it's not until graduate school that students have some input to the educational process. I had to take an undergraduate course [at the behest of the admissions committee in my graduate school], and the instructor was incompetent. In fact, he was 'teaching' things that were not true. I waited until after class, when we were alone, and discussed the matter with him, and he got quite irate. Unfortunately for him, i taped all my lectures & the recorder was still running. I went to campus the next day and played a few minutes of the tape for the dean. Ultimately, they fired him. He wasn't there the next semester. My uni took complaints by graduate students seriously. Cheers.
Id love to answer this for separate stages. high school was crap; sixth form was shyza but uni was great. no idea how to answer poll tbh
Original post by Moonstruck16
Primary: Can't remember but it wasn't bad.
Secondary: Good I suppose. My school may have been shyte but I have go admit, the teachers I had were passionate about what they taught.
Sixth-form: I went to one of the best state sixth-forms in the country but I had a mix of teaching. I had some amazing teachers and had some teachers who clearly didn't like young people, but did provide us with good material so we could teach ourselves.
University: I haven't finished but it's meh. My course/university isn't what I thought it would be but it isn't terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hills road?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Primary & Secondary School: I went to a school where there were no right angles. Make of that what you will.
Sixth Form: Was pretty average overall.
Undergrad: Was fab :biggrin: I loved university, the way of teaching and learning really suited me and my lecturers were engaged and interested and supportive :woo:

What do you mean there were no right angles?
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
What do you mean there were no right angles?

Exactly that. No right angles.:teehee:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Exactly that. No right angles.:teehee:

I'm so confused!
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I'm so confused!

Imagine everyone cutting off the corners of their exercise books and you're on the right path.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending