The Student Room Group

How the hell do you get rid of acne????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AthiaKarim
My dermatologist said there is no correlation between eating chocolate and acne.

Acne is caused by overactive oil glands and something to do with the hair follicles (from what I remember)

There may be a CORRELATION but it may NOT be the CAUSATION :smile:
Original post by NNB_Herath
There may be a CORRELATION but it may NOT be the CAUSATION :smile:

:smile:

But according to my dermatologist, there hasn't been any substantiate evidence to suggest there is even a relationship between the both. Idek lol
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you I'll definitely check it out!!

Also do you take antibiotics?
I've also got this filth on my back.

Having epsom salt baths is meant to help greatly. Going to give them a try.
(edited 8 years ago)
How long did your dosage of Roaccutane take, to see results? i. e. Clearing of acne.

About a month for anything properly noticeable.
Original post by Adores
You probably won't like my solution but try eating vegan, or cutting dairy out. It has worked really well for me, and I don't wake up with a really oily face anymore.
Also if you get an abundance of spots in a particular place, for instance your forehead, google it as it could indicate if something is wrong within your body or if you're not getting enough of a nutrient or something.
But it could be stress as A-levels=stress.

I am vegan though! (and lactose intolerant)
Original post by Ayaz789
Also do you take antibiotics?

Nope I do not
Thank you everyone for your tips and comments! I didn't actually expect so many replies lol (and it's hard replying to all of them). I'll definitely consider all your suggestions and try to work out what's best for my skin.. many thanks!
Manuka Honey from Holland and Barrett always clears my entire face up. Doesn't matter how bad it got, I always went back, put it on my face for about 5 minutes and then washed it off. Makes your face so soft as well. Just... don't get it in your hair or eyebrows. xD
Nope I do not

Okay:smile:
I went through a phase of about 18 months after having had very clear skin of fairly bad acne. It came and went and now my skin is fine. I know it's horrible to deal with but its worth bearing in mind that your skin will probably get better again fairly soon.

In the meantime, it's best not to tamper with your skin too much. Keep your skin clean and also consider using antiseptic on problem areas. Clinique do a good foundation with antiseptic properties, which I have found very good. I think exercise can help too.
I use a acne killer face wash regime called ProActive which is good, but in general, always keeping your face clean, not picking at it etc will definitely help.
okay so this is coming from someone whose had acne since 11/12 and now 16, do a damn long time with no improvement, get it on my back neck and arms and it is stressing me out. So i get what you mean with GPs not helping, i got given lymecyliine and its did not work, according to my dermatologist, a cream i have is supposed to be amazing called epiduo. If the stuff the GP have given are rubbish, then either find a dermatologists or straight out say to your doctor "fam get me a dermatologist before i pour these tablets down your throat :smile: ) and see where you get from there, my dermatologist said
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by WoodyMKC
You can, not over the counter though :lol: Easiest way is just to get it prescribed but, given that I train at a "hardcore" gym, know the local steroid dealer (don't use them myself atm) who sells accutane as acne is a common side effect of steroids... yeah, very easy for me to get hold of.

The side effects can be hideous. Dry flakey skin that's sensitive to sunlight and makes you feel like Dracula; scabbed inner nostrils and lips that crack and bleed; severe depression... just some of what I've experienced. However, these side effects happened when the dermatologist put me on 60mg a day. FAR too much and the acne came back.
I tried 30mg a day once I started self prescribing it was still too much for me but might be fine for someone else. 30mg every other day though was mild in terms of side effects and really did the trick.

"Self-prescribing"? Are you monitoring your own FBC, LFTs, and Serum lipids too? Roaccutane is a toxic drug and there are good reasons that its prescription is limited to Dermatologists (GPs aren't allowed to prescribe it). You're being reckless with your own body without any understanding of the consequences. Still, I guess you'll be able to treat your own Liver failure when the time comes hey...
Original post by katodizzle
I use a acne killer face wash regime called ProActive which is good, but in general, always keeping your face clean, not picking at it etc will definitely help.

Proactive is no good.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Proactive is no good.

Aw no really? I haven't been on it that long but my skin is a lot better than before :/
Moisturise your face daily and avoid overwashing/touching your face during the day (really hard, I know).
Lemon juice works nicely although it may sting. Otherwise, there's tea tree oil to reduce inflammation. Try Bio Oil as well for any scars/pigmentation you have (doesn't work everyone though!)
CTM - Cleanse, Tone, Moisturise.

Do this daily, twice a day. Before you sleep, apply tea tree oil to wherever your acne is. I noticed a difference within a week of doing this daily.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Have a read of this article. Excellent blog, he knows his stuff and recommends great products. Sorted my acne out a treat and I had it for 10 years...

http://manface.uk/acne-explained/

Sorry for the title but I am so TIRED of acne. I had a flawless face before I started A-Levels and since then it's been absolute hell! And it's getting worse each day! I have a lot of acne on my forehead and chest. Now it has started appearing on my back and moved down my face (at a rapid pace!).

Does anyone have any general remedies that work? Please don't give me the whole "see your doctor acne is specific etc etc" because I have seen my GP and I have creams and lotions, but they just do not work at all. They somewhat reduce the inflammation but more and more spots are appearing! I'm at a point where I look at myself and feel disgusting; I have such a destroyed, acne filled and dead face. It is honestly destroying my confidence and I honestly feel horrid. I eat relatively well and drink plenty of water so I have no idea what the cause might be????
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
"Self-prescribing"? Are you monitoring your own FBC, LFTs, and Serum lipids too? Roaccutane is a toxic drug and there are good reasons that its prescription is limited to Dermatologists (GPs aren't allowed to prescribe it). You're being reckless with your own body without any understanding of the consequences. Still, I guess you'll be able to treat your own Liver failure when the time comes hey...

I love the way you asked, and then proceeded to insinuate that I don't before I've even answered :rofl: Yes, I'm well aware of the effects and had private bloods done every couple of months while running the main course. Now that I'm only running a maintenance dose I get bloods done every 6 months, last ones a couple months ago were all good as usual. Think NAC is helping my liver values as they're better now than they were on the initial test before I even took my first dose :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest