The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Arsenal v WBA on general sale according to Arsenal.com. Are the fans staying away or something? I've never known an Arsenal league match to go to GS at the Emirates before.
Original post by sr90
Arsenal v WBA on general sale according to Arsenal.com. Are the fans staying away or something? I've never known an Arsenal league match to go to GS at the Emirates before.

Apathy at the club is on a level I have never seen before. Like Aston Villa but "relegated from the title challenge" instead of the PL
Original post by sr90

Arsenal fans arent used to football on a Thursday. They dont think its real.
Original post by sr90

United's situation is also ****. Delayed the deadline for season tickets and the ones bought are considerably lower than last years.
Original post by Rk2k14
United's situation is also ****. Delayed the deadline for season tickets and the ones bought are considerably lower than last years.

I know quite a few people who aren't renewing if LVG is still the manager
Original post by sr90

After the 8-2 a couple of home games went on GS I think.
Original post by Pete_91
After the 8-2 a couple of home games went on GS I think.

IIRC that game itself went down to Silvers, which is pretty much unheard of for any away game never mind Man United away. Normally one of the hardest to get tickets for.
City slip up. Arsenal must take advantage on Thursday (but will they :colone:)
Reply 6828
The state of my club

:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1
De Boer's league-winning pedigree is still there though. He took over a languishing Ajax and led them to the Eredivisie on the last day of the 2010-11 season (the season which Suarez sank his teeth and was sold). They then won the next three league titles in a row, selling key players between each season (Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Blind, you can't say they haven't moved on and done better with their new clubs). Yes perhaps failing to qualify for this season's CL is a blot in his copybook but he's made up with another great league campaign. Inb4 Dutch league is ****

Dutch league is ****
Reply 6830
**** league is Dutch
Original post by sr90

Pretty certain they used to always go to general sale for the last few home games of the season with 4th gauranteed and the title out of reach. Fortunately I've got a ticket from a friend with a season ticket for Thursday, but I reluctantly took it tbh. £30 for a **** atmosphere and poor quality football on a thursday evening isn't that enticing tbf, but you've got to support when the opportunity comes.
Might go on aftv after and tell them all what a bunch of ***** they all are, or troll and say we're favourites for the league next year if Arsene stays (lol nah I'm way to much of a pussy to do that)
Reply 6832
Original post by SA-1
**** league is Dutch

pls stop
Original post by fallen_acorns
Pellegrini does have a great squad but that is never a guarentee of success, and defending a title is not exactly common. So his first 2 seasons were pretty much as expected,title win then fail to defend.. standard, good.

A great squad should guarantee success otherwise they are underachieving which is down to the manager. I complained about his points total not the fact that he didn't win the league. Two seasons in a row with less than 80 points isn't good enough.

As for this season, well, its been a crazy year, and a failure for all top clubs so its hardly something unique to him.. yet he still has come out of it with a trophy, and a run in the CL, and a top4 place.

How is it an excuse for Pellegrini that because all the big teams are being terrible that his team can be terrible? It should mean that he should walk the league if all his competitors are being poor. Even then Jose got replaced, Pellegrini will be getting replaced and the evidence is there to suggest LVG won't be staying past this season, so it's not like clubs are tolerating it.

Lets be honest, arsenal are not currently close to winning a title.. and will never be under wenger.. whilst I dont expect any of the new people Ive listed to give us guarenteed success.. I do think they have a *chance* of pulling off something great.. whereas most of us fans have accepted that with wenger there is no chance.

So because you think Wenger can't win the League, you want him replaced with a manager who's done worse with better players...? Wenger only finished 7 and 4 points behind Citeh so it's not like Pellegrini did massively better.

Original post by shawn_o1
De Boer's league-winning pedigree is still there though. He took over a languishing Ajax and led them to the Eredivisie on the last day of the 2010-11 season (the season which Suarez sank his teeth and was sold). They then won the next three league titles in a row, selling key players between each season (Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Blind, you can't say they haven't moved on and done better with their new clubs). Yes perhaps failing to qualify for this season's CL is a blot in his copybook but he's made up with another great league campaign. Inb4 Dutch league is ****

My issue is that the teams that have knocked them out the EL have hardly been titans. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for not getting out of the group stages in the Champions' League as they faced hard teams.

I think a manager who's only managed in the Europa League wouldn't be likely to be an improvement. His record is pretty awful in the competition too, in the seasons he's managed there, he's been knocked out by:

Molde and Fenerbahce in the group stage
Dnipro Dniproptetrovsk
Red Bull Salzburg (6-1 on aggregate),
Steaua Bucharesti
Spartak Moscow

Look at AVB in contrast. He won the Portuguese League undefeated by 21 points in his first season, when they lost the previous year by 16 points and also won the EL. He was found out in the PL at Chelsea. De Boer could go to Everton for instance, but not Arsenal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Diego Costa
A great squad should guarantee success otherwise they are underachieving which is down to the manager. I complained about his points total not the fact that he didn't win the league. Two seasons in a row with less than 80 points isn't good enough.

Look at madrid, Chelsea, United, etc. all have had good squads over the past few years and all have under-performed.. heck even barca with the best squad in the world have failed to get past the CL QF...

All teams with good squads fail to win things.. and its perfectly normal. Having the best squad, or a great squad, does not mean guarenteed success all the time.. and no fan should expect it to mean as such. For a team with one of the best squads in the league (arguably behind chelsea last year..) over the past few years, to win 1 league of 3, is perfeclty fine. Its the same number as chelsea in that time period.. and possibly the same number as barca (if they keep loosing this year).

How is it an excuse for Pellegrini that because all the big teams are being terrible that his team can be terrible? It should mean that he should walk the league if all his competitors are being poor. Even then Jose got replaced, Pellegrini will be getting replaced and the evidence is there to suggest LVG won't be staying past this season, so it's not like clubs are tolerating it.

It clearly shows that this season is unique in the PL, and cant be judged in the same light as other seasons.. anyone can see there has been a dramatic shift in the dynamic of the league this year, with lower clubs pushing up and actually winning.. increased financials and solid tactics, are shaking up the traditional order in the league, and many of the top clubs have been caught out this season.. add to that that pellegrini was shown the door half way through the season.. having lived with speculation about his sucecssor, and then to have to complete the season knowing he will be gone. Its undeniable that this would have an effect on his players/results.

So because you think Wenger can't win the League, you want him replaced with a manager who's done worse with better players...? Wenger only finished 7 and 4 points behind Citeh so it's not like Pellegrini did massively better.

Done worse with better players? Then you say 'its not like he did massivly better' ... make up your mind.

Wenger: 2x Fa cup, R16 CL
Pellegrini: 2x league cup, PL champions, SF CL

Its not a huge improvement, but its the one that matters.. the league and the CL.

What would you pick.. a manager with a 10% chance of winning you the league.. or a manager who has proven to have a 0% chance of winning the league?

bold
Original post by fallen_acorns
Look at madrid, Chelsea, United, etc. all have had good squads over the past few years and all have under-performed.. heck even barca with the best squad in the world have failed to get past the CL QF...

So you're comparing Barcelona losing a match to the third best team in the world to Man City massively underachieving for two seasons. That's stupid.

I'm well aware that Madrid, Chelsea and Man United have underperformed, but when they underperform they improve the squad or change the manager. In this case, Pellegrini has had arguably the best squad in the League but done poorly in the league two of three seasons. It's not a hard concept.

All teams with good squads fail to win things.. and its perfectly normal. Having the best squad, or a great squad, does not mean guarenteed success all the time.. and no fan should expect it to mean as such. For a team with one of the best squads in the league (arguably behind chelsea last year..) over the past few years, to win 1 league of 3, is perfeclty fine. Its the same number as chelsea in that time period.. and possibly the same number as barca (if they keep loosing this year).

I said the points gathered was the issue, not necessarily retaining the league, reading comprehension please. If Man City got 87 points last year and didn't win the league, that's one thing, but they got 79 points and there were glaring tactical errors that Pellegrini hasn't fixed. He was lucky to stay in the job as things have got even worse this season.

The whole one in three comparison is really daft. You're saying that you'd keep a clearly underperforming manager on just because they won the league two seasons prior, that's ridiculous. The Barcelona example is silly, as I've said various times before it's the manner which City have performed in and resources compared to the rest of the league is the reason Pellegrini's low points total is an issue.

Done worse with better players? Then you say 'its not like he did massivly better' ... make up your mind.

Pellegrini did better in 13/14, but Wenger has done better this season and the last one because of Man City's collapse.

Wenger: 2x Fa cup, R16 CL
Pellegrini: 2x league cup, PL champions, SF CL

Its not a huge improvement, but its the one that matters.. the league and the CL.

What would you pick.. a manager with a 10% chance of winning you the league.. or a manager who has proven to have a 0% chance of winning the league?

First off lol at these stats that you completely picked out your arse.

Pellegrini has a far better squad so is expected to achieve better things, it's not that hard to understand. Secondly, it's ridiculous to use CL progress as a measure of success for the two managers when you consider the opponents of the two teams.
(edited 8 years ago)

Pellegrini did better in 13/14, but Wenger has done better this season and the last one because of Man City's collapse.

First off lol at these stats that you completely picked out your arse.

Pellegrini has a far better squad so is expected to achieve better things, it's not that hard to understand. Secondly, it's ridiculous to use CL progress as a measure of success for the two managers when you consider the opponents of the two teams.

we should let this rest now, as its not going to progress any further,

So the last two things I will say are

In regards to your point that wenger has done better this season - really? wenger has failed on all fronts this season, and the only reason he does not have a squad on par with cities is his own refusal to spend + invest in his team.. see last summer when we were the only team in the league to not buy an outfield player.. Pellegrini has a trophy + a CL semi final and top4 this year.. wenger has top4. Given that the difference in squad quality is largely wengers fault - there is no excuse there, and pell has done better this year.

Also yes the numbers are made up, because ofcourse there is no actually numbers to how likely a manager is to win the league, but I am pretty confident that if you ask a large number of arsenal fans, most would agree that after this season, wengers chance of winning another league title is close to 0%.. not because our squad is not good enough - it is good enough for a title challenge, and good enough for a win with a few additions.. but because of wenger's own failings. A new manager with a different attitude would atleast allow us to regain the possibility of league success, even if it is still only marginally more likely then wenger. Especially a manager who has experiance of winning the league, and a lot of experiance with over-performing with lower clubs (yet underperforming with bigger clubs) - arsenal are not a big club any more.. so he fits our bill perfectly.

Anyway, lets move on from this now - I will read your reply/anything else you want to say in response to this, but that will be it.

Look at AVB in contrast. He won the Portuguese League undefeated by 21 points in his first season, when they lost the previous year by 16 points and also won the EL. He was found out in the PL at Chelsea. De Boer could go to Everton for instance, but not Arsenal.

I just had to point out that AVB was young, he went to manage a Chelsea team in which Drogba and Lampard were older than him, and of course he didn't handle the Terry-Ferdinand racism row well. Without the senior figures and media scrutiny he would've done better
Reply 6838
Diego Costa has pretty much summed it up tbh.
Fact that any of you are even calling for Pellergrini just shows how desperate the fanbase has become, which is depressing.
COYS, second in the league, arsenal worst team in the league, YID ARMY

Latest