The Student Room Group

Is this a panic attack?

basic details: it started maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I can't even remember where or the context.

basically I feel really, really sick - but not like I'm actually about to be sick..if that makes sense. I get really hot and a little bit sweaty (sorry gross) and...well, you know that feeling you get when you're about to cry? like there's a lump in the back of your throat and it aches a bit? well it also feels like that, except I'm not about to cry. and I'm really aware of my heart beating, although it doesn't feel like it's racing or anything.
it only lasts around 2-3 minutes but it feels like longer because in that time its all I can think about. and then suddenly, it's over. it's almost like a cloud lifts and suddenly I'm fine.

other info: I know this is not a traditional panic attack, and for years it didn't cross my mind that it could be one because I have no difficulty breathing (although I do find myself having to take big, deep breaths but that's mostly for the queasy feeling I get and not because I HAVE to) but I read somewhere that there are different types of panic attacks and I didn't know if this fit the criteria.

I do have depression (although that's not generally known to bring on panic attacks is it?) but I've only had that for 3 years.

as for whether I actually feel panicked...I don't know. I always stress out about it but there's no overwhelming sense of 'oh my god' that people with panic attacks get. but I do get unnecessarily worked up about it despite the fact that I know it'll be over in a few minutes.
As a sufferer of depression for a good eight and a bit years, it is rare it will trigger a panic attack.

Last time I had one, it left like walls were closing in. My chest was tight, heart racing and palms sweaty. My body temperature rose through the roof and I was shaking beyond belief, though breathing was weak, if at all. The room suddenly felt dark, though it was light, and all I could think about was how I wasn't breathing, how painfully quick my chest was thuddong and the stress in my head. It laster for around fifteen minutes, but it felt so much longer...
Reply 2
Original post by Tinemither
As a sufferer of depression for a good eight and a bit years, it is rare it will trigger a panic attack.

Last time I had one, it left like walls were closing in. My chest was tight, heart racing and palms sweaty. My body temperature rose through the roof and I was shaking beyond belief, though breathing was weak, if at all. The room suddenly felt dark, though it was light, and all I could think about was how I wasn't breathing, how painfully quick my chest was thuddong and the stress in my head. It laster for around fifteen minutes, but it felt so much longer...

yes I thought it was more an anxiety thing. I've heard antidepressants can cause panic attacks but I've never takwn any
If you've not generally feared for your life during an episode, it's probably not a panic attack :lol: Unless it was a mild form, anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you've not generally feared for your life during an episode, it's probably not a panic attack :lol: Unless it was a mild form, anyway.

yh that's what i thought except my friend is in an anxiety support group and she says not /every/ panic attack sufferer actually feels panic that they are aware of and your body can just do the panicking for you.
Original post by justforthis1
yh that's what i thought except my friend is in an anxiety support group and she says not /every/ panic attack sufferer actually feels panic that they are aware of and your body can just do the panicking for you.

That's when it's scariest tbh. You're all fine, calm and then all of a sudden your heart starts going nuts, you sweat and shake and you don't know WTF is happening to you so you assume the worst :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest