The Student Room Group

Switzerland Suspends Citizenship process for Muslim Family

Scroll to see replies

Stupidest thing I've ever read. :rofl:
Original post by JoeTSR
It could easily be argued that what religion you happen to be a member of at age 14 isn't a choice either.

Then it would be a terrible argument

Or it would completely make their argument look asinine as it is not them refusing to shake hands but their parents who are telling them to behave in a discriminatory and sexist way (more reason to deny them citizenship)

either way it shouldn't be tolerated
Original post by JoeTSR
Question. If someone who had OCD, with panic attacks when touching someone else's hand and had to scrub the skin raw afterwards, requested nicely to avoid shaking hands, would that be a reasonable reason to halt naturalisation in the opinions of the 'kick them out' people?

Just curious as to where the line's drawn.

Has this situation ever happened? You miss the point thugh which its up to the swiss to decide who they do and who they dont allow to become citizens. They can still practice their religion by remaining as refugees, they just dont get the right of citizenship, because thats the right of the swiss people to grant or not grant. You cant demand it.
I can only imagine how devastating their absence will be for Switzerland.....

In before Sweden takes them in and then bans handshaking to accommodate them and remove any potential offence to them
Great news :smile:
Ridiculous from the Swiss. In other countries it's "culture" to greet someone with a kiss/peck on either cheek. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, why force an ultimately meaningless action of a greeting like that on someone. What's wrong with "Hello how are you. Im fine with a smiley face." Hope this gets overturned.
Reply 26
Original post by iEthan

Haha I know right. As if the country doesn't have bigger things to be worrying about :rolleyes:
Original post by HAnwar
Haha I know right. As if the country doesn't have bigger things to be worrying about :rolleyes:

Because the entire country can only ever focus on one issue at a time. :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Original post by Zargabaath
Because the entire country can only ever focus on one issue at a time. :rolleyes:

Such a petty issue :rolleyes:
Original post by HAnwar
Such a petty issue :rolleyes:

I know right? How petty and pathetic do you have to be to not shake someone's hand, based solely on a randomly assigned chromosome at birth? :rolleyes:
Original post by digistar_100
Ridiculous from the Swiss. In other countries it's "culture" to greet someone with a kiss/peck on either cheek. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, why force an ultimately meaningless action of a greeting like that on someone. What's wrong with "Hello how are you. Im fine with a smiley face." Hope this gets overturned.

Why should the swiss change? if they dont like it go and join another society which has a culture they feel more able to integrate into. They have every right to decide who they want to offer citizenship. Respect their culture, otherwise why are you applying to join it?

Switzerlandoff offers one of the highest standards of living and qualities of life in the world. they have a right to protect it. Its not for the applicant to start dictating the rules.
Original post by HAnwar

Its about principle. That isnt petty. You seem unable to answer why they should let these people be citziens if they are unable to respect their culture. It might seem a small thing, but its their country, they made it wealthy and peaceful, they get to decide the rules. They could just try another country where they could fit in better.
Petty by both sides imo.

a) just shake hands and get on with it
b) accept your hand hasn't been shaken and get on with it

Honestly :banghead:

Although... What if someone refused to shake hands purely because they didn't want to shake hands because of hygiene? (seeing as the OCD example was quickly dispelled).
Original post by iEthan

You're talking about the guys refusing to shake hands right?
Original post by digistar_100

This isn't just about the hand shaking. That is just one element which suggests there are other elements present which makes them unwilling to integrate. I'd say this makes the Swiss very quick to pick up on things. As opposed the the rest of western Europe who walk around with their eyes and ears glued shut.
For a moment I thought the thread title meant muslim families were able to bipass the citizenship process and automatically gain it, but then I realised it wasn't Sweden :colone:

Original post by Lord Samosa
That's not really a valid reason is it? Would they do the same if they were from any other religion/culture?

I'd understand if they were connected to terrorism, hate speech or something like that. But this is just stupid.

Generally speaking, the way a person does one thing is the way they do everything. A moronic refusal to shake someone's hand based on their gender is indicative that they may carry equally ludicrous views.
Original post by 999tigger
Its about principle. That isnt petty. You seem unable to answer why they should let these people be citziens if they are unable to respect their culture. It might seem a small thing, but its their country, they made it wealthy and peaceful, they get to decide the rules. They could just try another country where they could fit in better.

Most certainly not! Muslims are God's chosen people, the world should bend over backwards for them. Only their way of life is correct.
Original post by Kieran1996

Although... What if someone refused to shake hands purely because they didn't want to shake hands because of hygiene? (seeing as the OCD example was quickly dispelled).

Its the same thing. the swiss get to choose no matter how petty people might think it is. If they wnat to allow a medical excuse, then thats up to the swiss, they dont want to allow this religious reason, because if they do then what next? Why should the swiss have to compromise, they havent asked the people applying to apply.

For them its about culture. they dont have to accept muslims to become citizens if they are unwilling to intergrate.

Notwithstanding they are accepting them as temporary refugees, who can return to their country of origin when its safe to do so.Alternatively they cna stay under a visa in switzerland.
Original post by 999tigger
Its the same thing. the swiss get to choose no matter how petty people might think it is. If they wnat to allow a medical excuse, then thats up to the swiss, they dont want to allow this religious reason, because if they do then what next? Why should the swiss have to compromise, they havent asked the people applying to apply.

For them its about culture. they dont have to accept muslims to become citizens if they are unwilling to intergrate.

Notwithstanding they are accepting them as temporary refugees, who can return to their country of origin when its safe to do so.Alternatively they cna stay under a visa in switzerland.

Awesome response :biggrin:
Original post by Kieran1996
Petty by both sides imo.

a) just shake hands and get on with it
b) accept your hand hasn't been shaken and get on with it

Honestly :banghead:

re b) why should a women simply accept someone refusing to shake her hands because of her sex?

As a society we've come a long way over this issue so why should we allow it to go backwards to appease those who don't even come from the country?

Slightly different re hygiene as all people would be treated the same

But these are not similar to refusing to shake a persons hand simply because of their sex.

Would you accept it if someone refused to shake the hand of black people but would shake the hands of white people (this is more comparable)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending