The Student Room Group

UK summer -- what to wear?

I'll be going to the UK at the height of summer, in August, for a summer school in Dorset. I'm from a tropical country, and the only times I ever go to the UK are in Spring and Winter. What do I wear??
Reply 1
Fleece jumper and fur coat and don't forget the umbrella just in case
Anything you feel comfortable in
Waterproofs and a matching life jacket.

In all seriousness the UK weather is seriously as unpredictable as you can get. Best bet is to prepare to be cold but bring some summer clothes should warm weather sneak in
Absolutely nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by iliacl
I'll be going to the UK at the height of summer, in August, for a summer school in Dorset. I'm from a tropical country, and the only times I ever go to the UK are in Spring and Winter. What do I wear??

Same stuff you wore in Spring and Winter - occasionally it gets warm and sunny so bring some light stuff just in case, but you'll likely need stuff for the rain most of the time.

Although, it does depend where in the UK
Something you will be warm in as our Summers are nothing like a tropical country's summer ! :colone:
Saying that I got burnt yesterday sitting outside for 1.5hours. It does get warm :wink:
It doesn't get hot here lol

Bring your winter clothes :wink:
Original post by evalilyXOX
Something you will be warm in as our Summers are nothing like a tropical country's summer ! :colone:

:tongue:
Original post by lyrical_lie
Saying that I got burnt yesterday sitting outside for 1.5hours. It does get warm :wink:

Where do you live? It's not that hot :biggrin:
Original post by Legendary Quest
Where do you live? It's not that hot :biggrin:

London lol, I was sitting in a little sun trap working. I am Glaswegian though so my fair skin can't cope haha.
I suppose the one thing I'd say is, if it does get hot(ish) in the UK, we aren't terribly well set up for it in terms of keeping buildings cool. So, you won't typically encounter air conditioning, and if there's a hot spell everywhere sells out of electric fans! The upshot of that is that, although the temperatures overall won't reach anything like what you might experience at home, there are contexts where it's possible to be uncomfortably warm, definitely. Best advice is probably to go with thin things you can layer, and then adjust as necessary.
There is no summer in the uk, pretend your going to the north pole...:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest