The Student Room Group

The EU Out Campaign really amounts to Gove, Duncan-Smith and Norfolk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I found a couple of quotes from you expressing scepticism about the polling before last year's general election.

I think that's unfair really seeing as the swing to the SNP was massive and unprecedented. Labour lost 300,000 votes and 40 seats.

The real story of 2015 was not the success of the Tories or the failure of Labour - since although the Scottish swing was big and hurt in terms of seats, it was only 1% of the vote. The real story was the evisceration of the Lib Dems, which allowed the South West and Scotland to become one party states. This is because the Lib Dems do not have a multigenerational tribal following, because the Orange Bookers governed against the interests of a base that was mainly left wing, and because they are just too sensible and mild-mannered for the modern age.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I agree with your analysis, but isn't it more a case of people wanting their cake and eat it? The cheap fruit and veg goes down well in the shops, but people don't like to accept that picking it requires large numbers of cheap young foreign workers, working in conditions they would not accept. Averting their gaze from these issues, the good right wing citizens of E. Anglia complete their hypocrisy and callous swagger by constantly dissing the young migrants who make their lifestyle just a bit easier, giving their votes to posturing toads like Farage and Duncan Smith, who in reality don't give a damn for the white working class of Essex and Norfolk.

It's disgusting stuff when you get close and analyse it. I don't know how intelligent people like Gove can sleep nights as they use this nasty reactionary anger to serve their own private careerist aims.

I can't tell either way whether Gove believes it. He is going against his allies in the government so that suggests there is something there. He did invoke a similar conspiratorial tone when talking about "the Blob" of teachers' unions. He's a bit of a kook whichever way you look at it.

Boris in my view is the most brazen opportunist in the Out camp. One wonders how much he made shorting the pound in the run-up to making his grand declaration of support for Brexit in the Telegraph.

I do not share your contempt for the attitudes of the Easterners. Remember this is not just middle class right wingers sho should know better, to get high(er) polling it must be working class people too. I can't see that their main political calculation hinges on the price of picking fruit versus the price of that fruit in Tesco. It's probably just that they can't get a job and blame it on these immigrants.

My scorn is reserved for the cosseted ageing Brexiters of the Home Counties who haven't had an encounter with the real world since they had kids 40 years ago, and who continue to express their repressed sociopathy by voting in with thumping majorities callous, charmless terriers like Tebbit and IDS.

The rural regions of the UK wil be singing a very different tune once they realise how dependent they are on EU allocations, particularly in Cornwall, and how unprepared Whitehall (always) is to give anything to them other than holiday homes at London prices.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
We need to leave the EU, deport all Muslims and drop the government out a plane on top of ISIS.
Reply 43
Interesting map from YouGov today showing where the Out votes are concentrated geographically.

It would appear that so far the likes of Michael Gove, Ian Duncan-Smith and other assorted right wing headbangers and morons (I'll raise you a Farage for your Hannan) have only succeeded in persuading E. Anglia and Essex that Leaving is the right way to go.

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

I feel really bloody annoyed that we are going to have to put up with another two months of their blather for absolutely no benefit to anyone except a few Tory and UKIP battered egos, serving a definitely minority opinion. Even then they won't give up of course. :angry:

I assume this will soon become another Neverendum, like the one in Scotland. It shouldn't even be a national referendum - weak leadership by the Tories.

When London ends up nuked because of Islam extremists, hopefully you'll wake up from your brainwashed state.
Original post by scrotgrot
I can't tell either way whether Gove believes it. He is going against his allies in the government so that suggests there is something there. He did invoke a similar conspiratorial tone when talking about "the Blob" of teachers' unions. He's a bit of a kook whichever way you look at it.

Boris in my view is the most brazen opportunist in the Out camp. One wonders how much he made shorting the pound in the run-up to making his grand declaration of support for Brexit in the Telegraph.

I do not share your contempt for the attitudes of the Easterners. Remember this is not just middle class right wingers sho should know better, to get high(er) polling it must be working class people too. I can't see that their main political calculation hinges on the price of picking fruit versus the price of that fruit in Tesco. It's probably just that they can't get a job and blame it on these immigrants.

My scorn is reserved for the cosseted ageing Brexiters of the Home Counties who haven't had an encounter with the real world since they had kids 40 years ago, and who continue to express their repressed sociopathy by voting in with thumping majorities callous, charmless terriers like Tebbit and IDS.

The rural regions of the UK wil be singing a very different tune once they realise how dependent they are on EU allocations, particularly in Cornwall, and how unprepared Whitehall (always) is to give anything to them other than holiday homes at London prices.

Good points well made.

It is indeed laughable how much the Tories and their fellow travellers attack the "Eurocrats" as if there is some startling history of productivity and genius on the part of the British civil service. All that guff about a "Rolls Royce service" that the Head of the Civil Service / Cabisec comes out with every now and then (although tbf I do wonder if they've given up trying to hoodwink us that it's all marvellous in recent years) obviously blinds them to the truth. The reality is that amongst the things that have been most detrimental to progress, modernity and a progressive society in Britain, the British Civil Service ranks high on the list.
I am happy to see that areas like Cheltenham want out
It's the reverse. London is mainly voting In and E. Anglia is mainly thinly populated and rural.

One of the most aggravating things about the current round of political distraction from the economic situation is that the agenda is being driven by places like Essex which are grossly unrepresentative of the country as a whole. Basically it's the reactionaries serving up racism as a tool to manipulate us into permanent Tory government. If there's an Out vote then Scotland will leave the union and Tory Government Eternal becomes a reality. :eek4:

You've clearly never ventured too far from your ivory tower. East Anglia has a population of 6 million, considerably more than Scotland, and is 4 times more densely populated than it too. It has large towns and cities like Ipswich, Norwich, Colchester, Chelmsford, Luton, Southend and Bedford.
To dismiss it as a rural backwater that should be ignored is highly insulting but thoroughly expected of the sneering, condescending left.
I'm not even going to get started on the utter ridiculousness of your racism claim.
Apologies for the multiquote hell

Interesting map from YouGov today showing where the Out votes are concentrated geographically.

Are Northern Ireland not invited to vote or is YouGov having as much trouble understanding the different between GB and UK as the papers who came up with the term "Brexit"

Original post by chemting
Ahh, I seem to have been mistaken. London was the exception anyway. My stupid head matched constituency size with population density...

(or maybe I was looking at this map, very similar)

The REAL question of this entire thread: WHY ARE THERE NO BIRDS IN WALES?

Original post by slaven
So, the most eurosceptic votes are in the most industrialised regions, the areas with the higest amount of educated people.. so the most forwarder regions of the UK.

THe most europhilic are multicultural hellholes with high amouth of islamists. Nice that we established this fact.

Could you explain what you mean by "industrialised" because I'm seeing Purbeck and the Isle of Wight down my way and they're not even slightly industrialised. In fact Purbeck are trying to get their steam trains reconnected to the mainline....
Original post by scrotgrot

Interestingly my contacts among the home counties baby boomers all seem to be getting on the remain bus...Retired Surrey Aunt posted a very pro-EU status this morning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not really, all of the leading Brexiteers constantly harp on about immigration, which is a subtitle in this country for race and a push-button for reaction.

They ignore the obvious, which is that mass inward migration will be equally difficult to control outside the EU, not least because the French will be even less cooperative about things than they currently (grudgingly) are.

Are you sure you've been listening to the majority of brexiters and not just zoning out unless it's Farage?

I also question somewhat the results, as in what is the basis of the data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm a Londoner who's voting out. Are there any ethnic minorities wanting to voting out?

Why?

Original post by pizzlam
We need to leave the EU, deport all Muslims and drop the government out a plane on top of ISIS.

Original post by pizzlam
We need to leave the EU, deport all Muslims and drop the government out a plane on top of ISIS..

We got it the first time.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It does seem in poor taste. Here are some unpopular politicians. The have the opposing view. This is why you should make this decision.

And they've missed out the most influential Out campaigner
Original post by PQ
And they've missed out the most influential Out campaigner

Sounds legit. And by legit I mean too convenient and probably completely made up.
A bit like how Democrats in America completely flat out made up that Trump once said in 1998, 'If I were to run, I’d run as a Republican. They’re the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they’d still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific'
Original post by pol pot noodles
Sounds legit. And by legit I mean too convenient and probably completely made up.
A bit like how Democrats in America completely flat out made up that Trump once said in 1998, 'If I were to run, I’d run as a Republican. They’re the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they’d still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific'

It sounds like Trump though. I mean, he probably did say something close to that, there just wasn't a microphone around at the time.
What have you got against Norfolk? My family is from Norfolk, and although I've never been there it looks lovely on Google Images:

You are just a hater.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Are you sure you've been listening to the majority of brexiters and not just zoning out unless it's Farage?

I also question somewhat the results, as in what is the basis of the data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I've hardly heard from Farage recently, has he gone off in a sulk since he got the royal order of the boot on being the official campaign?

Gove, Boris, Duncan Smith - they all play the same basic game, introducing immigration into the line of patter and also lying every five minutes about the size of the UK contribution, etc. It's charmless, degrading stuff.
Original post by pol pot noodles

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/anthony-hilton-stay-or-go-the-lack-of-solid-facts-means-it-s-all-a-leap-of-faith-a3189151.html is the source
Excellent article in today's Guardian by Owen Jones about the scaremongering and hypocrisy of Lord Gove of Freedonia.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/19/scaremongering-establishment-vote-leave-remain-fear-michael-gove
It sounds like Trump though. I mean, he probably did say something close to that, there just wasn't a microphone around at the time.

He didn't say anything close to it. It was attributed to a magazine article where he didn't say anything of the sort and didn't discuss politics. It simply didn't happen. Completely fabricated out of nothing.
You just wish it were true, because wouldn't it just put those stupid uppity Republicans in their place if it were true?
You have some mighty prejudicial views for someone sitting on a high horse berating everyone else for being bigots.
Original post by Observatory
What have you got against Norfolk? My family is from Norfolk, and although I've never been there it looks lovely on Google Images:

You are just a hater.

I'm sure it's a fine county. I'm just not sure that it (and Essex) should determine the national agenda.

Isn't that George Galloway number 4?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending