The Student Room Group

If your parents didn't like your bf/gf, would you leave them?

Just wondering what people's opinions on this is...

Is it important to you that your family gets on with your partner?
Or would you not give two hoots if they didn't like him/her?

Scroll to see replies

My parents? Yeah
at the end of the day, I'm the one choosing to spend the rest of my life with my partner so what my parents think about her is pretty irrelevant.

they would not object to my partner anyway, so that makes it a moot point for me personally.
No.
Leave who?
That's a tough one. My parents have already passed away but if they were alive then I'd try to get the two sides to sort out their differences I guess :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
It would have a big impact for me and would make me question if I want to be with that person as I am really close to my family
If they had a valid argument, sure
Reply 8
I couldn't care less.
Yeah Esp my brothers. Must be a reason why they dislike him right?
It wouldn't make a difference for me. Ideally I'd prefer that they be very close but in the end it stopped being their decision when I became a legal adult. That's not to say that I would totally ignore my parents though. I'd still listen to their concerns. :smile:
Original post by nyancats
It would have a big impact for me and would make me question if I want to be with that person as I am really close to my family

Aye!
Original post by queen-bee
Aye!

:five:
I would listen to what they had to say, but if it was trivial I would not
Depends why my parents didn't like them, if it was just bc they were the same sex then no because like well self explanatory but if it was a genuinely valid reason or they had concerns about the person's personality then i would be inclined to listen because i'm very good at being walked all over and can't usually see when it is happening. Also i love my mum so would never want to lose her :redface:
Reply 15
Yeah I think it does depend on their reasons but at the end of the day it's ultimately your choice. Parents can't control our happiness!

I just find it hard because I'm so close to my family and want them to get on with my partner. Like my mum hated my ex bf and deep down I think that may have contributed (slightly) to our break-up :frown: I hate myself for it now! But have to move on...

You live and learn.
I would definitely listen to what they had to say. My parents are incredibly reasonable folks, and if they didn't like my partner I'm sure they'd have good reason for it. To be honest, I can't really think of any scenario in which they didn't like my partner but I still wanted to be with them, which makes it a bit difficult to answer the question.
Well my parents are giving me £20,000 when i decide to get a house with my GF, don't think they would if they didn't approve of her, so I guess if they didn't I would leave her. £20,000 is enough for me to find someone else.
they know that if they didn't agree I'd move to my cousin's place in Santa Cruz
My mum didn't like my partner at first and my partner's dad didn't like me at first. We were determined not to let outside forces such as family get in the way of the relationship if we were happy. Years on, we all get on like a house on fire now.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending