The Student Room Group

Can AS chemistry AQA ask about back-titratons

so titration calculations are just the worst, i can just about get a couple of marks but my teacher says back-titrations can be asked but my revision guide doesn't go on about it, does anyone know whether they actually can appear in the new course or not?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

If you look the specimen paper online there is a back titration question. It is well worth practicing it because once you understand it normal titration calculations will seem easy.
Reply 3
Original post by Pentaquark
If you look the specimen paper online there is a back titration question. It is well worth practicing it because once you understand it normal titration calculations will seem easy.

nooooooo. thanks though, i'm really good at maths but i literally spent well over 16 hours over a week off JUST doing titrations and not once did i get the right answer, meh i only normally lose one mark though and in a back titration case, 2.
also im not surprised at the fact my revision guide doesnt cover it. it's the ones made by CGP but today i had a biology test on mass transport and despite revising from my CGP bio guide the amount of stuff it missed was ridiculous >:frown: so the same probably goes with all of their guides...
Yes it will be, especially if there's one on the spec paper. I love titration questions!
Original post by Toasticide
nooooooo. thanks though, i'm really good at maths but i literally spent well over 16 hours over a week off JUST doing titrations and not once did i get the right answer, meh i only normally lose one mark though and in a back titration case, 2.
also im not surprised at the fact my revision guide doesnt cover it. it's the ones made by CGP but today i had a biology test on mass transport and despite revising from my CGP bio guide the amount of stuff it missed was ridiculous >:frown: so the same probably goes with all of their guides...

This is why I always use multiple resources rather than just relying on say one textbook & a revision guide. Don't always trust your teachers as well! Read around always :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Toasticide

Just to let you know, the back titration question in the specimen paper is 8 marks.
Reply 7
Original post by Kozmo
Just to let you know, the back titration question in the specimen paper is 8 marks.

wow... that's 10% testing on one small part of a huge topic in a huge course, sounds kind of ridiculous to me. don't take that the wrong way i believe you XD i just mean that's kind of unfair because now i have to work REALLY hard in every thing else to make up for that 10%. i've given up trying to get normal titrations around my head, let alone back titrations. i think it's time to start praying back titrations won't appear in either paper. my class do practise questions from the previous course where normal titrations are worth 3, not 8 and i tend to get 2 marks, i'm just hoping i can get a 5 out of 8...

Quick Reply

Latest