The Student Room Group

Poll: the best rap producer of all time is?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
Honestly wasn't that good. I could probably write better lyrics for the track

Nicki is unbearable - especially when she starts barking like a seal.

Ehh isn't that "barking" towards the end of the verse

Better than Jay Z rapping about raping children and women
(Jay Z still the goat)
Original post by Wilfred Little
Blackstar is much, much better. Kanye West would probably admit it himself. He certainly acknowledged Bowie as an influence on him when he died.

The title track alone pisses over everything Kanye has ever done. Honestly think it's a top five Bowie record and I'm including all of the 70s output in that.

Nah it doesn't
Nothing on blackstar is nearly as beautiful as the runaway outro which I can honestly admit to crying at, I say that as a Bowie fan

It is a top five Bowie record for sure though and the way he captured his death is incredible

Kanye can say what he wants tbh, won't change my opinion on what's good and what's bad
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blessings2theHOU
Lol the beastie boys are overrated tbh

Not really, just not as listened to and there's loads of fanboy idiots who have just heard bloody Sabotage, leading them to be called overrated.

Rap isn't even my main genre but meh :tongue:
Ehh isn't that "barking" towards the end of the verse

Better than Jay Z rapping about raping children and women
(Jay Z still the goat)

Jay Z isn't great - he's massively overrated.

When I said barking I was referring to the last word of each line at the start of this song

Spoiler

Nah it doesn't
Nothing on blackstar is nearly as beautiful as the runaway outro which I can honestly admit to crying at, I say that as a Bowie fan

It is a top five Bowie record for sure though and the way he captured his death is incredible

That's daft and you know it is. The last two tracks in particular.

Harmonica from A New Career In A New Town. Kanye could never think of something like that. Never.
Original post by Andy98
Jay Z isn't great - he's massively overrated.

When I said barking I was referring to the last word of each line at the start of this song

Spoiler

I was discussing nicki's verse on monster.
She renegaded that song tbh
Her pop songs are trash though

Jay Z is the greatest, no rap song will ever top "D'Evils"
Go and listen to it now
(edited 8 years ago)
That's daft and you know it is. The last two tracks in particular.

Harmonica from A New Career In A New Town. Kanye could never think of something like that. Never.

No it's not, that's because Kanye's vocoder outro is ****ing incredible and probably the most original musical idea in a long time

Yes I know hundreds of people have used vocoders before but none used it as a soloing instrument

Bowie could have never thought of that
(edited 8 years ago)
No it's not, that's because Kanye's vocoder outro is ****ing incredible and probably the most original music idea in a long time

Bowie could have never thought of that

You're wrong.

And @Andy98 is making you look foolish right now with these Jay-Z posts.
You're wrong.

I'm not wrong

You're telling me d'evils isn't a top ten rap song oat?

Mane u probably enjoy listening to hopsin
I was discussing nicki's verse on monster.
She renegaded that song tbh
Her pop songs are trash though

Jay Z is the greatest, no rap song will ever top "D'Evils"
Go and listen to it now

Fair enough

D'evils is an alright song - but I can think of a few songs that topped it.
You're wrong.

Thank you, knew you had some sense in ya :wink:
Original post by Andy98
Fair enough

D'evils is an alright song - but I can think of a few songs that topped it.

Ok what songs?
NY state of mind?
Beat bop?
CREAM?

There isn't many songs which do
Ok what songs?
NY state of mind?
Beat bop?
CREAM?

Nah, they're just the main stream ones; if you want quality raps you have to dig deeper (with the exception of Eminem's stuff)

So there are:
Tech N9ne - Speedom (if you want lyrical complexity and pace)
B.O.B's verse in Outta My Mind is pretty good
Eminem & Yelawolf - Best Friend (has the meaningful punch)

I could go on
Ok what songs?
NY state of mind?
Beat bop?
CREAM?

There are ****ing loads mate. I was being a dick on purpose with my earlier posts because you were making silly claims. Something which Kanye West fans seem to do quite often.
There are ****ing loads mate. I was being a dick on purpose with my earlier posts because you were making silly claims. Something which Kanye West fans seem to do quite often.

Name some then
On the real though I still prefer Kanye to Bowie
André 3000? Q-Tip? Mos Def? I've all the time in the world for Dilla and Pharrell as musicians, and Pete Rock as an MPC maestro in his own right, but omitting those three from a poll of 'all-time greats' does your credibility no favours.
Original post by Profesh
André 3000? Q-Tip? Mos Def? I've all the time in the world for Dilla and Pharrell as musicians, and Pete Rock as an MPC maestro in his own right, but omitting those three from a poll of 'all-time greats' does your credibility no favours.

Truu I almost added Q-Tip to the list, I otherwise chose the most well known because this isn't a hip hop forum so.

Dilla is the goat Imo so

While Yasiin is easily one of the best conscious rappers of all time, he doesn't to me seem anywhere near as good as these producers, if I was to pick rapper/producer it'd be MF DOOM
Original post by Profesh

Do you honestly believe Andre is one of the all time great producers? Rapper yeah, producer no. Though he has made some beats I like.

This is coming from an Outkast fanboy btw.
Do you honestly believe Andre is one of the all time great producers? Rapper yeah, producer no. Though he has made some beats I like.

This is coming from an Outkast fanboy btw.

From this, at 17:

To this, at 28:

Considering how little of Outkast's output relies on sampling, his musical talent is irrefutable and—among hip-hop producers—rare enough to merit a place on this list.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Profesh yeah I've heard it all mate I love Andre and Outkast. And The Love Below was great, could have included most of that. I just don't think Andre is one of the all time great producers. Also Andre didn't produce the first track that was Organized Noise?

*Insert Kelis Millionaire here*

Quick Reply

Latest