The Student Room Group

Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roofas
It's not the responsibility of British people to prop up unsustainable developments and social programmes in Eastern Europe who have next to no links with us when we have financial issues and failing infrastructure in this country and have the second largest foreign aid budget in the world already.

People certainly will 'give a sht' about the world's 5th largest economy with a permanent seat on the UN security council, elite armed forces and nuclear weapons with almost unparalleled cultural clout.. I don't know why you feel the need to bash the UK to try and convince people to stay in, it's like an abusive husband "You're not good enough" etcetera.

Ok, start of if you was living there wouldn't you hope for support from countries when your IN the Europe? Not just left there to fix yourself when your struggling?

Why would people 'give a sht' about the 5th largest economy if we are going to go into a deep recession when leaving, which will drop up OUT of top 10, then once we pick up again at 2.7% we maybe at like 25th richest and 2.7% is still BELOW world average so we will go back UP we will PERMEANTLY down. So, now tell me how are we going to be relevent with only 60m people, most likely a lost generation and decreasing population due to the struggles.. hm? China doesn't have access to EU anymore with 500m people its mad and not going to bother with UK government.
Reply 41
Original post by ckfeister
Ok, start of if you was living there wouldn't you hope for support from countries when your IN the Europe? Not just left there to fix yourself when your struggling?

Why would people 'give a sht' about the 5th largest economy if we are going to go into a deep recession when leaving, which will drop up OUT of top 10, then once we pick up again at 2.7% we maybe at like 25th richest and 2.7% is still BELOW world average so we will go back UP we will PERMEANTLY down. So, now tell me how are we going to be relevent with only 60m people, most likely a lost generation and decreasing population due to the struggles.. hm? China doesn't have access to EU anymore with 500m people its mad and not going to bother with UK government.

This is the whole project fear thing you've got going on. I don't blame you, the media has been quite persistent. Do you read the Guardian by any chance?

There's no reason to believe Britain would go into recession. Even the most biased pro-EU research has claimed that the UK economy would be around 6% smaller in 2030 than it would have been if it remained a member. All that means is that the growth would be slower, and as I say, this is a biased pro-eu claim anyway.

There will be no decline in population, no lost decade. Britain is a global power with a strong economy powered by finance, pharmaceuticals, aerospace, petrochemicals, agriculture and tourism. These apocalyptic style events you've said are just completely unfounded I'm glad to say. Being a member of the EU didn't make Britain rich.

If China wouldn't be interested in a Britain not in the EU, why has it got a free-trade deal with Iceland, a country that is not in the EU and has half a million people. Britain has 120x the population of Iceland and a 1000x more to offer.

Please, do some proper research, do some real research about this country and realise that if Australia and Canada and South Korea and Norway and Israel and New Zealand and Japan can all thrive outside of a political union that Britain (who is larger and richer and more economically diverse than all of the former*) can thrive too.

EDIT: *not Japan,oops. Point still stands though. Japan is fine outside of a political union.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roofas
This is the whole project fear thing you've got going on. I don't blame you, the media has been quite persistent. Do you read the Guardian by any chance?

There's no reason to believe Britain would go into recession. Even the most biased pro-EU research has claimed that the UK economy would be around 6% smaller in 2030 than it would have been if it remained a member. All that means is that the growth would be slower, and as I say, this is a biased pro-eu claim anyway.

There will be no decline in population, no lost decade. Britain is a global power with a strong economy powered by finance, pharmaceuticals, aerospace, petrochemicals, agriculture and tourism. These apocalyptic style events you've said are just completely unfounded I'm glad to say. Being a member of the EU didn't make Britain rich.

If China wouldn't be interested in a Britain not in the EU, why has it got a free-trade deal with Iceland, a country that is not in the EU and has half a million people. Britain has 120x the population of Iceland and a 1000x more to offer.

Please, do some proper research, do some real research about this country and realise that if Australia and Canada and South Korea and Norway and Israel and New Zealand and Japan can all thrive outside of a political union that Britain (who is larger and richer and more economically diverse than all of the former) can thrive too.

No I only look at BBC News, nothing else as its neutral but I also check the facts before beliving BBC too, UK global power would go down with the recession we'll have in the SHORT-TERM.
Original post by BaronK

NATO isn't a state.

Neithers the EU....yet.

In any case, sovereignty in its most understood sense, is long dead. Blame the free market.
Reply 44
No I only look at BBC News, nothing else as its neutral but I also check the facts before beliving BBC too, UK global power would go down with the recession we'll have in the SHORT-TERM.

I feel as though you're more of an undecided voter swayed by the fear campaign. Just out of interest, if there wasn't an economic consequence due to leaving the EU (which I personally don't think there would be) would you still vote to remain? Are there other reasons why you'd want to stay in the EU otherwise? Are there any pro-Brexit arguments you agree with?
Original post by Bornblue
In. Let's not take a step into the dark and cross our fingers.

aren't all important decisions one that have elements of risk to them though? why are you supporting safe mediocrity? are you satisfied with how the EU operates over the UK at the moment?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roofas
I feel as though you're more of an undecided voter swayed by the fear campaign. Just out of interest, if there wasn't an economic consequence due to leaving the EU (which I personally don't think there would be) would you still vote to remain? Are there other reasons why you'd want to stay in the EU otherwise? Are there any pro-Brexit arguments you agree with?

I would vote to leave if economic wasn't a problem.
Original post by Davij038
Neithers the EU....yet.

In any case, sovereignty in its most understood sense, is long dead. Blame the free market.

well...the EU kind of is a state though, isn't it - it's a confederation. a confederation is a form of state.
the only thing it lacks is its own independent arm of execution
but the member states do that for it *and* it has obvious ambitions for an army.
so basically, it *is* a state. it has a parliament. it has an administration/civil service. it has leaders. it has a supreme court. it has a legal system. it makes treaties with other states. it has the same representations as states in bodies like the WTO. it has a flag and an anthem. it has a border policy. like I said, the only thing missing is a police/army, and that's a very superficial necessity for a state when its constituent sections have their own police/army forces.
Reply 48
I would vote to leave if economic wasn't a problem.

Well all I can do is ask you to have faith in the British people and our economy. Britain has outperformed all other EU members these last few years and I think that's in spite of us being a member of the EU, not because of it. I certainly think that we need to think less about how much money the elites at the top will be earning and focus on the issues that impact our day to day lives.

Can you really bare to live in an EU where Turkey is a member? as it certainly will be within 10 years.

Anyway, see you around.
The money that goes in is spent in aid for the Eastern western world who is repairing from the problem that USSR created to improve their standard of living upto the rich nations of Europe. We are a rich nation and should do our role in the Union, we are NOT an Empire owning 25% of the world anymore, no one will give a sht about 60m people on an island.

So we need to give 5-6 billion a year away ONTOP of our foreign aid already? You've gone mad.
Reply 50
By your own words, the EU could cut us out since they can just find some new sources.
It seems to me that what vote leave is saying

Trade: we'll take a free trade deal with the EU where we'll pay in and get no say. We'll get a superior trade deal with existing partners and new ones besides (in under four years)

Law: we'll keep the vast majority of the laws apart from the environmental ones

Immigration: (various- but open Europe has shown that it will likely rise in order to compete)

Costs: we'll continue to fund everything despite no substantial argument that we'll keep to the same level of growth let alone improve.

Future: we'll be a high tech Atlantic utopia (despite most research and innovation coming from EU and lack of funding due to above)

Foreign affairs: we want to embrace the wider world who incidentally all hate us because they want is to stay in the EU

Gee, what a tempting offer.
Original post by balanced
So we need to give 5-6 billion a year away ONTOP of our foreign aid already? You've gone mad.

Thats to other countries...
Original post by BubbleBoobies
aren't all important decisions one that havje elements of risk to them though? why are you supporting safe mediocrity? are you satisfied with how the EU operates over the UK at the moment?

Yes I am quite satisfied with the European Union.
It's not perfect but does a fine job of protecting workers rights and allows us to have a seat at the table of a major international organisation.

And there has been no viable alternative put forward.
Yes I am quite satisfied with the European Union.
It's not perfect but does a fine job of protecting workers rights and allows us to have a seat at the table of a major international organisation.

And there has been no viable alternative put forward.

at least concede that these "workers rights" came via authoritarian decree. no UK representation led to their creation. the commission handed it down to us.

and if you're saying that it's justifiable that you get your preferred policies via dictates, I think you're kind of in favour of any kind of diktat so long as it suits you. that's kind of unprincipled, isn't it? I don't think the body of laws in the UK are ideal at all to my political principles, but you know what? at least we have *some* means of control over them. and that's the thing - it's preferable to have a bad parliament to a good dictatorship - because one day, that dictatorship might be horrific, whereas at least the parliament can change for the better in the future.
Reply 55
Oh yes, so good.
Here an example how good.

$2 = £1 in 2008 before crisis, a laptop worth $700 would cost £350, now thats its $1.40 = £1 lets check..

700/1.4 = £500 so due to the lower pound you have to pay 500 - 350 = £150 extra making our standard of living LOWER. It is also at a record low and unemployment is rising wakey.

Or more importantly, British goods become cheaper overseas.
at least concede that these "workers rights" came via authoritarian decree. no UK representation led to their creation. the commission handed it down to us.

and if you're saying that it's justifiable that you get your preferred policies via dictates, I think you're kind of in favour of any kind of diktat so long as it suits you. that's kind of unprincipled, isn't it? I don't think the body of laws in the UK are ideal at all to my political principles, but you know what? at least we have *some* means of control over them. and that's the thing - it's preferable to have a bad parliament to a good dictatorship - because one day, that dictatorship might be horrific, whereas at least the parliament can change for the better in the future.

The workers rights come from regulations passed by parliaments.
And why would I care where thy came from? I'm glad we have them.

Certain things should be above politics, things like ensuring our food is hygienic to buy and that workplaces are not dangerous to be in.

The European Union does a fine job of that.
The workers rights come from regulations passed by parliaments.
And why would I care where thy came from? I'm glad we have them.

Certain things should be above politics, things like ensuring our food is hygienic to buy and that workplaces are not dangerous to be in.

The European Union does a fine job of that.

yeah, regulations that are based on directives from the european commission -_- they'd be binding upon the UK legal system whether our parliament passed it or not - it would simply mean that if we left the EU, all the EU-based laws wouldn't suddenly disappear along with it
and if you think the EU is beyond realpolitik or political ideologies you're in for a surprise
well...the EU kind of is a state though, isn't it - it's a confederation. a confederation is a form of state.
the only thing it lacks is its own independent arm of execution
but the member states do that for it *and* it has obvious ambitions for an army.
so basically, it *is* a state. it has a parliament. it has an administration/civil service. it has leaders. it has a supreme court. it has a legal system. it makes treaties with other states. it has the same representations as states in bodies like the WTO. it has a flag and an anthem. it has a border policy. like I said, the only thing missing is a police/army, and that's a very superficial necessity for a state when its constituent sections have their own police/army forces.

It. Certainly performs many of the functions of a state and has many attributes of a state but is too constrained by the heads of member states so, it's often a semi paralysed state :smile: , democratisation and turther integration though is ultimately inevitIt able.
Fallacy #1: The EU is undemocratic.

Since the Treaty of Lisbon, no body which is not directly elected has unilateral legislative power within the EU. The EU is at least as democratic as the UK itself.

Fallacy #2: The EU has uncontrolled immigration.

As of Regulation 492/11, Member States are not required to take EU migrants who cannot prove they can support themselves in the destination state. Insofar as EU immigration is uncontrolled, it is the fault of the UK government, not the EU.

Fallacy #3: The EU has unnecessary control over UK laws.

The EU operates according to a principle of subsidiarity, which requires that law is made at the level which is most appropriate. While, for instance, regulations which are necessary to the operation of the internal market clearly need to be made at EU level, planning law, for instance, remains under UK control.

Fallacy #4: The UK could operate as effectively as regards non-EU economies outside the EU.

Like it or not, the EU has exceptional bargaining power due to the sheer size of the market involved. The UK could not get nearly as good a deal with China, the USA etc on its own (for reference I'm not a fan of the state liability provision of TTIP but that's one of the only downsides of EU membership).

Fallacy #5: EU membership affects UK sovereignty.

The UK can unilaterally leave the EU, without a referendum, simply by repealing the European Communities Act. 'Sovereignty' is a legal, not a political concept. Sure, the EU limits what the UK government is capable of doing, but that is due to accession to an international treaty. If you want to leave the EU due to sovereignty concerns, by the same logic you are committed to wanting to leave NATO, international intellectual property organisations, the UN, etc.

Fallacy #6: EU membership clearly negatively affects the UK economy.

While the preponderance of studies show that EU membership benefits the UK economy (see recent PwC, Oxford Economics, KPMG studies as well as the Treasury report), there is not an undeniable case either way. Nevertheless, taking the raw net contribution number and using that as conclusive proof that the UK is harmed by EU membership is economically inept at best and deliberately deceptive at worst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending